Any pros?

Memories4K
Go to solution Solved by Mighty_Miro_WD,
Hi there @Memories4K!

Both options have their pros and cons, so IMO it depends on the personal preference.

However, I would go with multiple drives storage configuration, but of course there is nothing wrong with only one drive. It's just that I like the idea of having one drive for, let's say OS and most demanding apps, while I use the other one for games and maybe mass storage. The dual configuration will also allow you to do such things as write data to one drive while playing from another without any lag.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! :)

So, here's the thing.

Let's put aside any "value" factors here, also assume that i don't need, or will ever need, more space than i'm requesting.

What i want to ask is:

Should i get a dedicated SSD (let's sasy 128 GB or 256 GB) for my OS and a few apps with another 1TB SSD for games and other programs

or

simply get a 1TB SSD for everything?

I'm more curious as to whether there's any benefit to have an SSD dedicated to the OS and a few apps plus a separate large SSD for storage and games vs. just one large SSD for all of my data that includes the OS, apps, games, work programs, etc.

Please and Thank You!

"If you ain't first, you're last"

A small SSD (i recommend 250-500GB) for OS and programs and a 2 x WD Red Pros or Blacks in RAID 0. The speed to copy stuff from the SSD to the HDDs will be quite fast (that is what i am currently running, just as an external dual drive setup via thunderbolt).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Id get a 240GB/256GB for OS and programs then a 480GB/500GB for games then a 2TB for other shit

Some may call it illogical but its what I personally would do

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

So, here's the thing.

Let's put aside any "value" factors here, also assume that i don't need, or will ever need, more space than i'm requesting.

What i want to ask is:

Should i get a dedicated SSD (let's sasy 128 GB or 256 GB) for my OS and a few apps with another 1TB SSD for games and other programs

or

simply get a 1TB SSD for everything?

I'm more curious as to whether there's any benefit to have an SSD dedicated to the OS and a few apps plus a separate large SSD for storage and games vs. just one large SSD for all of my data that includes the OS, apps, games, work programs, etc.

Please and Thank You!

Get an SSD for boot, HDD for mass storage

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

To actually answer the question, no there is no benefit to having 2 SSD's over 1 big one. It's just what people do. I like to put my OS on a smaller drive because then i can just format that drive when i do a reinstall without having to do a backup first. It's a lot easier.

I have no signature

Hi there @Memories4K!

Both options have their pros and cons, so IMO it depends on the personal preference.

However, I would go with multiple drives storage configuration, but of course there is nothing wrong with only one drive. It's just that I like the idea of having one drive for, let's say OS and most demanding apps, while I use the other one for games and maybe mass storage. The dual configuration will also allow you to do such things as write data to one drive while playing from another without any lag.

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Hi there @Memories4K!

Thank you based Western Digital Affiliate

That sounds good actually

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Personally I would get 240/250/256GB very fast SSD for OS and your favorite programs, and a slower (budget) 500GB+ SSD for everything else.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

The fewer drives you have the easier it is to keep everything straight.

That said I have a 500 GB main os ssd (with some programs), a 960 GB(ever so slightly slower ssd with all my games and most of my programs), and a 3TB hdd for video/picture storage.

In the pre-trim world, I would have told you that keeping your os drive as empty as possible would have performance benefits, and while that is technically still true the difference now is basically within the margin of error until you get into the 95+% capacity. If say however you had a small pcie m.2 drive like the sm951 (in 256/512 capacity) then that would allow maximum speed for os and programs that still show scaling at that point with faster speeds (like ironically word and excel), while having a separate cheaper sata ssd being used basically as mass ssd storage as many programs will not show a difference at that speed (most games fall here.)

I never recommend hdds for that purpose because their multitasking is non-existent and access times are always terrible. That does make them great however for video or photo storage where access time is but a small fraction of total reads.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS