YouTube taxes?

Rocko

First off I would like to apologize for asking this question here. I am making like 2K a year off YouTube do I have to do US taxes? I'm partnered with a YouTube Network BBTV they sent me the money through PayPal. I'm just going to keep the money in my PayPal balance do i have to do taxes? I live in Florida, United States. 

Help would be very much appreciated Thank you.

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

Yes

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

May I ask what your youtube channel is? 

According to my calculation that is 5500 views per day

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Yes. You will have to file a 1099, most likely.

Now I have a stupid question if i have to do that how do i pay taxes?

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

No personal income tax. There's still business tax.

does a youtube channel really count as a business
Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

First off I would like to apologize for asking this question here. I am making like 2K a year off YouTube do I have to do US taxes? I'm partnered with a YouTube Network BBTV they sent me the money through PayPal. I'm just going to keep the money in my PayPal balance do i have to do taxes? I live in Florida, United States. 

Help would be very much appreciated Thank you.

yes you do need to pay taxes off that 2k you made

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

yes you do need to pay taxes off that 2k you made

isn't it like 6% ?

isn't it like 6% ?

uh. tbh idk. its probably more. but in canada its not the same

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

If the network you're partnered with is above board, they should send you tax info closer to tax time. If they don't, they need to get their stuff together.

does a youtube channel really count as a business

It's called independent contracting. He's not an employee as defined by the state of Florida of the people paying him, and is receiving untaxed income. Even if the state of Florida doesn't care about that income, the federal government sure as hell does.

I've filed as a contractor since I was 16.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

You are supposed to pay taxes for all of the income that you have.

This includes (believe it or not) tips for you guys and gals. Most people just does not know about this, and it's harder to track down those who do not pay those taxes.

Google will give you a 1099-MISC form at the end of the year. How you report that income, and how it is taxed, will depend on which box on the 1099-MISC they report what you've been paid. If they report it in Box 7 -- "Non-employee compensation" (likely) -- then you'll have to report the income as Schedule C income, in which case there is an automatic tax of 15% on top of the additional regular income tax you'll have to pay against your total income that includes the YouTube income. If they report it as "Other income", Box 3, then there isn't a separate 15.3% tax. It's just rolled into the rest of your income and taxed accordingly unless you are doing business with Google under a DBA, in which case it's Schedule C income.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Google will give you a 1099-MISC form at the end of the year. How you report that income, and how it is taxed, will depend on which box on the 1099-MISC they report what you've been paid. If they report it in Box 7 -- "Non-employee compensation" (likely) -- then you'll have to report the income as Schedule C income, in which case there is an automatic tax of 15% on top of the additional regular income tax you'll have to pay against your total income that includes the YouTube income. If they report it as "Other income", Box 3, then there isn't a separate 15.3% tax. It's just rolled into the rest of your income and taxed accordingly unless you are doing business with Google under a DBA, in which case it's Schedule C income.

This is a very good explanation of it. OP, you should give strong consideration to setting aside money for tax season

I've been on YouTube for 4 or 5 years. Only made about $70-80 so far, they won't even send me the money til I get $100.

While we are on the topic of youtube and money... My current adsense account is a "personal" account. If I were to ever get regular payments from them can I change it to a business account or do I have to create a new account?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch