Tips on Building a Computer

mnm0710

I'm not sure if this is the perfect section or if this will be useful but I was thinking of a list of things for new guys to watch out for when they build their first computer. I don't really think we need to go into heavy detail about actually building a computer but just a quick piece of advice or things that many people forget.

"Don't forget to plug in the CPU power. It is usually either an 8pin or 4pin EPS connector that plugs in somewhere near the CPU Socket"

Tip

Make sure that the CPU fan is plugged in.

Plug in the video card power, if you need to, as some low end cards get their power from the PCI slot.

make sure to plug the power leads into the wall

make sure that the power supply is switched on if it has a switch

make sure it is set to the correct voltage if it has a voltage adjustor

don't force the CPU into the socket

Use the correct RAM slots / PCI slots / Sata ports

If you have to apply thermal paste, less is better in most situations

Make sure you are grounded, so touch a metal part of the computer case regurlarly. Don't work in a carpeted room. Static electricity can kill your components.

Make sure to install the graphics card and add-on cards after you plug in the cables that go in the lowest part of the motherboards. I sure made that mistake a couple times, very annoying...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Assemble vital components (Mobo, CPU + Cooler, RAM, GPU, PSU) outside the chassis (rest the mobo on its box or something) and make sure the system POSTs before building inside the chassis. I'm sure no one wants to build his/her entire system only too find out the Mobo is dead.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Have a magnetic screwdriver and a pair of thinnose pliers ready. Screws will always go out of reach when they fall (Murphy's law of pc building)

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Take into consideration the physical dimensions of your components before buying to ensure that they will physically fit in the chassis. Common collision points are large heatsinks hitting the left-most RAM DIMM if the DIMM is too tall/not low-profile and long graphics cards not fitting due to hitting hard drive cages of smaller/traditional style cases.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Don't break your CPU cooler.

I honestly think CPU coolers are the most frustrating component to install. CPU and RAM are so simple, hell, I even love screwing on motherboards! But when it comes to CPU coolers, don't smash them to bits--I've done that too many times out of sheer frustration.

- Don't wear socks alone - shoes or bare feet

- Patience

- Don't put the left panel on until everything works

- Testbench the system first

Also I think Slick mentioned it in a livestream but; http://ninite.com/ - found it to be really useful.

Take your time! Building a PC is not supposed to be a time trial :P

Don't put on the side panel before posting!

Dont apply pressure onto your CPU when installing it.

Drop the CPU DIRECTLY down on the socket when installing.

Don't put the left panel on until everything works

^How to superstition.

If you are not filling up all of your RAM slots make sure you read the motherboard manual to place the DIMMS in the correct slots.

Never work on a carpet floor. Like tanilolli said, take your time! Take your time working things out, and going the most practical route. Cable management is key as it improves the look of your build and improves airflow which makes all your components last longer.

Some cases come with all of the stand off screws installed. When you are installing an ATX-motherboard, make sure that the stand offs that fit the mATX-format are removed.

• 3 years later...

worlds oldest  New Builds and Planning topic in the forms

now the last one to comment on it.....

now i have the last laugh......

muhahahahahahah!!!!!!!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!