Where is my coil-whine coming from?

Hey guys

I now got my GTX 780 for a while and I noticed that when I'm doing some Folding@Home, "something" in my case is starting to whine. First I thought it was the PSU but I wasn't. Im thinking that its my graphics card, BUT the strange thing is, that it only whines when I'm folding and NOT when I'm torturing it with something like FurMark or any other benchmark. 

Could it be something different from the GPU? Maybe my mainboard? I thought of RMA the graphics card but I have to be sure that it really is the cause of these noises. What could it else be?

Thanks for your answers!

It might be the motherboard. Have you tried to stress test the CPu to see if thats it? Also I don't think coil whine is reason enough to do a RMA. Technically the part is not broken

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

More than likely it's the PSU.  Since it's so high pitched it's often hard to tell, but that would be my bet. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

It might be the motherboard. Have you tried to stress test the CPu to see if thats it? Also I don't think coil whine is reason enough to do a RMA. Technically the part is not broken

I tried running Furmark + Prime95. No sounds at all, despite the loud fans :) I also wrote the Asus ( my GPU is from Asus) Support and  they told me that I could RMA it for coil whine (but for that it has to be the GPU that is acutally whining)

More than likely it's the PSU.  Since it's so high pitched it's often hard to tell, but that would be my bet. 

Hm no I dont really believe in the PSU anymore. When I open my case the sounds definitely coming from somewhere around the GPU. I also replaced the PSU with a Corsair AX860i Platinum

I tried running Furmark + Prime95. No sounds at all, despite the loud fans :) I also wrote the Asus ( my GPU is from Asus) Support and  they told me that I could RMA it for coil whine (but for that it has to be the GPU that is acutally whining)

Gotcha. Ir's just that RMA is not always possible with coil whine. And if it isn't the CPU power delivery, then it's most likely the GPU

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's probably either the chipset fan or the GPU.

"...The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it..."

It's probably either the chipset fan or the GPU.

It cant be any fan. I've turned up each fan for its own to max and there was no sound at all

Then its the GPU. But that's weird that it only whines when Folding.

"...The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it..."

You could try taking your gpu out and run folding with the onboard one to be sure it's the gpu