NVIDIA recommends the GTX 980 Ti and GTX 980 for 1080p 90FPS VR gaming

Bouzoo

What is the actual resolution it is rendering? It seems to me that it's going to be quite a bit higher than 1920x1080 because it's rendering an image per eye. And then you want a highly consistent 90 fps at that, suddenly it does seem quite a bit more demanding than the normal 1080p 60fps you compare it to.

My oculus dk1 ran fine on my little brother's gtx 450, I'm not too worried about it lol

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

I'm not surprised. I can't max out all settings in project cars on my oculus DK2 90

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s

It renders a single image for valves headset it's 1.4x the resolution you want to be playing at.  

don't know what I was talking about, stereo 3d needs to be rendered from two view points to get depth... 

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021771/Advanced-VR

go under the optics and distortion tab. 

24c245f153.jpg

Also they say that 4x MSAA is a minimum, probably worth watching the whole thing, going to do that now personally. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

wait wait wait wait. people thought a 970 was enough for VR? lol

Those people lack any common sense. Too many people believe all the BS Nvidia tells them.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Those people lack any common sense. Too many people believe all the BS Nvidia tells them.

If people that thought that the 970 is gonna be enough lack any common sense (because it's not strong enough), why should they not believe that 980/980 Ti should be enough (which NV told should be enough)? Contradictory sentences.

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I swear i read an article a while back about someone creating a system where by you could use lower texture and post processing in the peripheral vision areas to assist better performance.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I was under the impression the consumer rift and Vive are 1440p screens, so isn't this all slightly irrelevant? Almost comes across as if they're purposely giving frame rates for resolution they know they can maintain a high FPS, instead of the actual resolution off VR headsets.

Both the Vive and Oculus CV1 are 2160x1200 (25% more pixels than 1080p)

I swear i read an article a while back about someone creating a system where by you could use lower texture and post processing in the peripheral vision areas to assist better performance.

the problem with this feature is that it has to be built into the engine from the ground up, I assume most devs will be lazy and just make the game run reasonably well on moderate hardware.

we can hope for something like Unity and Unreal engine adoption and games developed on those will be easy.

Unreal's oculus support is now so good games are "accidentally" supporting it... I fired up the unreal tournament alpha with my rift plugged in and it immediately rendered it to the rift.

--

Honestly I think these requirements are a bit of a stretch... any level of fidelity that requires the power of a 980ti is rather pointless on such a "low" resolution screen... jitter free perfect headtracking, good sound, good input and clever gameplay to increase immersion are 10000x times more important in VR than how pretty it looks.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Nvidia wants my money again?

How is this possible?

I already have a EVGA 980 SC, would probably get another before doing 90FPS VR

My Rig: i7-3770K, EVGA gtx980 SC, Asus P8-Z77 V-Pro, 2X Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, 1X 850 Evo 1TB SSD, Corsair Obsidian 650D, 2X8GB Gskill Ripjaws, Seasonic X-850w PSU, Corsair H100i, 2X Asus vg248qe, Corsair Sabre RGB, 2X Corsair K95 RGB, Hyper X Cloud II

Corsair Krew - Lifetime Member  ASUS Krew - Lifetime Member  Samsung Krew - Lifetime Member EVGA Krew - Lifetime Member  Intel Krew - Lifetime Member

We will have to wait for pascal if we'd ever expect less than 400 dollar cards for VR. Maybe even more.

$400 isnt too steep is you ask me.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I already have a EVGA 980 SC, would probably get another before doing 90FPS VR

Not sure i would want to do Dual GPU with VR. Any stuttering would make you feel so ill. Probably new Nvidia GPUs are right around the corner.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

True enough, I'm sure a 970 is gonna have stable 60 if a 980 can get 90.I tested Oculus only at expo and I've no idea how many FPS I got then, so I'm curious how big of a difference means 90 over 60 FPS. I know, it's better and all but is VR in 60 so bad that we need 90? Calling out for people that own a headset. 

Yes VR is bad at 60Hz.  You need 90Hz Minimum.  That means you need 90FPS Minimum. 

This will be the new ALL IMPORTANT metric in reviewing cards for VR from this point on.  Average FPS? Who cares? Max FPS? Totally useless.  Minimum FPS is the be-all, end-all metric.  You need a card that can maintain 90FPS MINIMUM.  If your game starts going under that, you will get a very bad experience, possibly headaches and nausea. 

Also a thing to remember, is that 90Hz will probably be a first gen VR thing.  All the VR guys agree that 200Hz+ would be the ultimate but we don't have the displays or the GPUs to push that yet.  Expect Gen2 VR (Vive2, Oculus CV2) to be 120Hz minimum

I think latency is much more important than fps (although they do corrolate to some extent). Having Adaptive Sync should be a must, as stutter (and possibly tearing) would make you blow chunks.

I am interested in seeing AMD versus NVidia in a VR shootout.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just make games potato gfx and it's no problem

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

From: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-recommends-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gtx-980-1080p-vr-gaming-highend-market-share-rises-apac-markets/
Once NVIDIA features Async support through drivers, it will be possible to see better DX12 performance and Preemption Context Switching on NVIDIA hardware.

No. The performance oriented preemption is not a driver related issue. It is a hardware related issue. Watch GDC 2015's nVIDIA presentation.. and I quote nVIDIAs representative "On future GPUs, we're working to enable Finer-grained preemption, but that's still a long way off". nVIDIA use coarse grained preemption which can cause delays of upwards of 1000ms. It is therefore not a performance oriented feature on Maxwell 2.

As for Async Compute, it can only be used at the end of Draw Call Boundaries on nVIDIA Maxwell 2 products. You're therefore not likely going to see any performance benefits from its usage (remains to be seen but I doubt it). See WCCF's own Async Time Warp image "previous image re-warped" meaning you cannot asynchronously render a new image (frame), you have to re-use the same image (frame) that was previously rendered.
fAaGghy.jpg

Sources: 

The nVIDIA GDC 2015 PDF is available here (page 23): http://www.reedbeta.com/talks/VR_Direct_GDC_2015.pdf

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

No. The performance oriented preemption is not a driver related issue. It is a hardware related issue. Watch GDC 2015's nVIDIA presentation.. and I quote nVIDIAs representative "On future GPUs, we're working to enable Finer-grained preemption, but that's still a long way off". nVIDIA use coarse grained preemption which can cause delays of upwards of 1000ms. It is therefore not a performance oriented feature on Maxwell 2.

As for Async Compute, it can only be used at the end of Draw Call Boundaries on nVIDIA Maxwell 2 products. You're therefore not likely going to see any performance benefits from its usage (remains to be seen but I doubt it). See WCCF's own Async Time Warp image "previous image re-warped" meaning you cannot asynchronously render a new image (frame), you have to re-use the same image (frame) that was previously rendered.
fAaGghy.jpg

Sources: 

The nVIDIA GDC 2015 PDF is available here (page 23): http://www.reedbeta.com/talks/VR_Direct_GDC_2015.pdf

Yea, WCCF Tech is a running joke here.

Yea, WCCF Tech is a running joke here.

Hopefully they'll fix their article.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

Don't b you have to render for two displays in VR ?

Yes u have to render 2 screens at 90fps 1080p

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

It'll probably work with less, Nvidia is just playing it safe across the board so people can't complain to them in case of frame drops.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Well considering you need to have a consistent frame rate all the time, this is a "duh" thing.

I'd still expect to have to turn some settings down even with a 980 Ti.

I'd still expect to have to turn some settings down even with a 980 Ti.

I still can't use Hairworks in Witcher 3 on my 980ti without getting close to Geralt's sexy hair and dropping half my frames.

And that's just 1080p/60!

I still can't use Hairworks in Witcher 3 on my 980ti without getting close to Geralt's sexy hair and dropping half my frames.

And that's just 1080p/60!

GameWorks - They way it was meant to be played. Ugh. If only NVidia users could lower the tessellation factor. Ironically the reason you can on AMD, is due to shitty over tessellated GameWorks effects.

Either way, I'm curious as to what async shaders will do in VR.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro