Quebec.

BumbleButt

I hate it. As soon as you enter Quebec you're immediately presented with only French. All the signs are in French and French only, unlike in pretty much every other province where it's in English and French. While I was in some town near Montreal, I got lost, so I asked someone how to get to the place I was trying to go in English. He started speaking to me in French. Now I understand a little bit of French, so I could tell that he knew exactly what I said. What's with this absolute refusal to speak English? It's like they see it as a bad thing to speak English? If you're in a country that speaks predominantly English, and you know how to speak English, you should expect to have to communicate in English sometimes. 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I hate it. As soon as you enter Quebec you're immediately presented with only French. All the signs are in French and French only, unlike in pretty much every other province where it's in English and French. While I was in some town near Montreal, I got lost, so I asked someone how to get to the place I was trying to go in English. He started speaking to me in French. Now I understand a little bit of French, so I could tell that he knew exactly what I said. What's with this absolute refusal to speak English? It's like they see it as a bad thing to speak English? If you're in a country that speaks predominantly English, and you know how to speak English, you should expect to have to communicate in English sometimes. 

do they call you stupi

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Or completely on the other hand, if your in a country who second OFFICIAL LANGUAGE is french, then you should expect to be able to communicate in French some times when inside a predominantly french speaking province.

Look, I know very little french... in fact, the only word i know would be Bonjour. And that is the simple reason why I will never step foot in Quebec, because I know for a fact that is a French speaking province. If I ever go to an other part of the world where I know for a fact that their primary language isn't english, I dont sit there and expect them to speak english to me, I make an effort to speak and understand their language. Expecting them to speak english to you when it isn't their native language and your in their community, thats very naive 

-snip-

Sure, but the thing is that most of them know how to speak pretty good English, if not perfect. Yet they refuse to speak it. 

Sure, but the thing is that most of them know how to speak pretty good English, if not perfect. Yet they refuse to speak it. 

Because you are in THEIR province! If they come to your province they don't expect you to speak french to them.. they will make the effort to speak english to you. 

I personally think its more of a F-U to the rest of canada... i mean, who can blame them. Most of quebec speaks french and english... yet most of canada barely knows french.

Because you are in THEIR province! If they come to your province they don't expect you to speak french to them.. they will make the effort to speak english to you. 

English is still one of Canada's primary language, and they are in Canada. So yes do expect them to speak English to me in Canada. 

I personally think its more of a F-U to the rest of canada... i mean, who can blame them. Most of quebec speaks french and english... yet most of canada barely knows french.

Because most of Canada's population is made up of immigrants or the children of immigrants, most of whom don't live in Quebec. . 

Maybe because they assume you're French?

The French language is something Canada is proud of. Unfortunate for you if you don't feel the same way. The English community has it's place, believe me, but the government is doing whatever it can to keep French in Canada.

Maybe because they assume you're French?

The French language is something Canada is proud of. Unfortunate for you if you don't feel the same way. The English community has it's place, believe me, but the government is doing whatever it can to keep French in Canada.

They assume I'm French when I'm speaking English to them? What? French is something most of Canada really doesn't care about. It's not even real French, it's some Canadianized version of it. The English community basically all of Canada except for Quebec and some parts of New Brunswick. 

They assume I'm French when I'm speaking English to them? What? French is something most of Canada really doesn't care about. It's not even real French, it's some Canadianized version of it. The English community basically all of Canada except for Quebec and some parts of New Brunswick. 

Do you realize that you're in Quebec? There are nowhere near as many English people as there are French people

Do you realize that you're in Quebec? There are nowhere near as many English people as there are French people

I'm in Montreal. I city very close to Ontario. So I do expect them to be prepared to interact with people who don't speak French. 

Because most of Canada's population is made up of immigrants or the children of immigrants, most of whom don't live in Quebec. . 

I'm assuming (i might be incorrect) that you are an immigrant then. IF that's the case, then you of all people should know how diverse Canada is. You say that English is Canada's primary language, but we are an official Bilingual country, with french also as an official language.

Look, I've already said this once, I don't speak a word of french, but I respect their right to speak french in their own province, just as I respect the right for any native american speakers to speak their own language on their land. I don't walk onto a reserve where they speak one of the native languages and demand that they speak english to me, just as I wouldn't walk into quebec and demand that they speak english to me... just as I wouldn't walk into a foriegn country and demand that they speak english to me because 'i don't speak their language and cant understand them'

And frankly, the fact that you are saying that this is ok is troubling, and frankly un-canadian. Unfortunately, you might feel you fit in better in the USA if this is your attitude. 

That's not exactly true. Especially for the older folks.

I live in Montreal and a lot of people don't know a word of english and get just as upset as you are when someone doesn't speak to them in their language, while in their city.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do... If you can't speak a word of french and aren't willing to compromise, well I'm sorry, you're not welcome. Just like how a Quebecer who goes in the rest of Canada and can't speak english barely gets around because nobody is willing to speak to him in French.

Quebec is FRENCH first, English second. If you yourself are not willing to learn french, why should we be willing to speak to you in english?

If you at least make the effort to speak in french, next to nobody will hate you in Quebec, in fact we will love you for it because you're actually making an effort. Right now you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

It's like you're going to France and expect them to speak to you in English just because their neighbors happen to be the British.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It can be problematic but if you are nice and patient typically most people can or will talk to you in English or find someone who speaks English to help you or whatever..... this is like going to mexico and expecting everyone to be fluent in English... while many people may be able to speak it it is not really the norm.... my advice, accept it and enjoy that you live in a country as diverse as Canada.

-snip-

My parents are immigrants. Both knew how to speak English before they came here. I was born in Toronto, so I'm not an immigrant. I never said that French wasn't an official language, I just said that English is the predominant language. This is a nation, it shouldn't be devided with such hate between provinces. It's not like it doesn't effect me here in Ontario, since I have to learn Canadian French until grade 10 here. This isn't a foreign country though so that last part of your second paragraph really doesn't have any place in this conversation. What does un-canadian mean? Fuck you buddy. 

@TetraSky

FYI,  This is pretty much what I've been saying all along. And I feel ashamed that @BumbleButt is Canadian and this arrogant. 

If I ever went to quebec, you better believe I'll be listening to french tapes the whole fucking flight. I wouldn't go into this province expecting them to speak english to me.

That's not exactly true. Especially for the older folks.

I live in Montreal and a lot of people don't know a word of english and get just as upset as you are when someone doesn't speak to them in their language, while in their city.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do... If you can't speak a word of french and aren't willing to compromise, well I'm sorry, you're not welcome. Just like how a Quebecer who goes in the rest of Canada and can't speak english barely gets around because nobody is willing to speak to him in French.

Quebec is FRENCH first, English second. If you yourself are not willing to learn french, why should we be willing to speak to you in english?

If you at least make the effort to speak in french, next to nobody will hate you in Quebec, in fact we will love you for it because you're actually making an effort. Right now you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

It's like you're going to France and expect them to speak to you in English just because their neighbors happen to be the British.

You just gave me an idea. When I go to school on monday I'm just going to speak Czech to anyone who speaks to me, and condemn them for not understanding me.

You just gave me an idea. When I go to school on monday I'm just going to speak Czech to anyone who speaks to me, and condemn them for not understanding me.

Well have fun with that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

@TetraSky

FYI,  This is pretty much what I've been saying all along. And I feel ashamed that @BumbleButt is Canadian and this arrogant. 

If I ever went to quebec, you better believe I'll be listening to french tapes the whole fucking flight. I wouldn't go into this province expecting them to speak english to me.

I could really give two shits whether you feel ashamed because no one gives a fuck and none of your or my opinions will ever really matter. Sorry that I expect someone to speak English in a country where the predominant language is English. 

This isn't a foreign country though so that last part of your second paragraph really doesn't have any place in this conversation.

The foreign country remark absolutely belongs in this topic. Your argument is that Canada is a country that with English as the dominate language. However, English is the dominate language in the world, that doesn't mean I would go to a foreign country and automatically expect them to speak English to me.

As for Un-Canadian, its a word I most likely just invented... kind of like unsportsmanlike - The point is, and its exactly what everybody here is saying, If your not willing to make an effort at all, then don't expect people in Quebec to make an effort for you.

I could really give two shits whether you feel ashamed because no one gives a fuck and none of your or my opinions will ever really matter. Sorry that I expect someone to speak English in a country where the predominant language is English. 

Didn't you think for a second, that maybe the person to whom you spoke, isn't confidant in their Spoken English? Not because you can understand it well, that it means you can speak it well. I sure as hell can't speak a word of English, even though I can understand it just fine. We're a French province, we don't go around talking in english all day to practice, the same way you don't practice your french at all.