Electrical Issues

NewbixCube
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

Check the gauge of the wire it should say on the wire itself, something at 10-15 ft, 14-16 AWG is pretty good for what you will need having it in coils is fine just not tangled up or bunched together. The smaller the number the larger the diameter of the conductors inside.

Not sure if anyone could help here but it's sort of a tech issue.

My room and the room next mine are on the same electrical thing (breaker?). We just installed an air conditioner and it seems that if I'm using my computer for gaming purposes and the air conditioner is running on low the break switches off and the power in both rooms go off. In my room I have my computer which has a 750w PSU, two monitors, router, and the home phone on one power strip. The other room just has the air conditioner and a lamp. What I was wondering is if it would be safe to use an extension cord to connect my computer and plug it into the living room which from looking at the panel isn't connected to either room. I'm not sure if these pictures would help but I can take more or answer whatever questions that might help with this. It's quite annoying playing a game then all the power shuts off plus it's been hot lately...

My room and the other room with the AC is 21 and 22. I believe the living room is 23.

lIr3ctd.jpg TaSB3LS.jpg

My room and the room next mine are on the same electrical thing (breaker?). We just installed an air conditioner and it seems that if I'm using my computer for gaming purposes and the air conditioner is running on low the break switches off and the power in both rooms go off. In my room I have my computer which has a 750w PSU, two monitors, router, and the home phone on one power strip. The other room just has the air conditioner and a lamp. What I was wondering is if it would be safe to use an extension cord to connect my computer and plug it into the living room which from looking at the panel isn't connected to either room. I'm not sure if these pictures would help but I can take more or answer whatever questions that might help with this. It's quite annoying playing a game then all the power shuts off plus it's been hot lately...

My room and the other room with the AC is 21 and 22. I believe the living room is 23.

lIr3ctd.jpg TaSB3LS.jpg

Yeah there shouldn't be any problem with using an extension cord, as long as it's a nice heavy duty one.

As Glenwing said it should be fine.

Just remember to unravel the cable first  :)

I'm not sure how to tell if it's heavy duty.

It's orange with pretty thick outlets, it seems 'heavy' duty. 

I't also REALLY long, what should I do about the extra cording? I only need to go about 10 - 12 feet and I'm sure it's 5 times that length. Can it lay on top of itself in a loose spiral?

Edit: Forgot to quote.

@XTankSlayerX

@Glenwing

Edited by NewbixCube

-SNIP-

Check the gauge of the wire it should say on the wire itself, something at 10-15 ft, 14-16 AWG is pretty good for what you will need having it in coils is fine just not tangled up or bunched together. The smaller the number the larger the diameter of the conductors inside.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's heavy duty.

Can it lay on top of itself in a loose spiral?

you can tell if its heavy duty or not by the printings on the cord or the actual plug.

Yes you can lay it like that, but keep in mind having a power hungry machine on it will cause it to heat up. and the more coiled it is the hotter it will get, run the computer for a few hours and check the temperature of the coil, the cord, and the plugs on both ends of it. if it is hot to the touch, like painfully, you need to discontinue use of the cord, or risk burning your house down. I've actually had power hungry cords literally burst into flames from the same thing. you should get the VERY shortest cord you need to use for this to reduce the risk of fire. 

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

you can tell if its heavy duty or not by the printings on the cord or the actual plug.

Yes you can lay it like that, but keep in mind having a power hungry machine on it will cause it to heat up. and the more coiled it is the hotter it will get, run the computer for a few hours and check the temperature of the coil, the cord, and the plugs on both ends of it. if it is hot to the touch, like painfully, you need to discontinue use of the cord, or risk burning your house down. I've actually had power hungry cords literally burst into flames from the same thing. you should get the VERY shortest cord you need to use for this to reduce the risk of fire. 

It's molded on the cord but I believe it says 30/14 AWG. (Actually I think it's 3C/14)

Edited by NewbixCube

It's molded on the cord but I believe it says 30/14 AWG. (Actually I think it's 3C/14)

You should be good! just check the temp after a while of running just to be sure. 

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

Yeah you shouldn't have any problem with your PC and peripherals all on that it's 14 AWG wires with 30 conductors per wire.

You should be good! just check the temp after a while of running just to be sure. 

Yeah you shouldn't have any problem with your PC and peripherals all on that it's 14 AWG wires with 30 conductors per wire.

Thank you very much!

Wouldn't want my house burning down just from using an extension cord.