Can you use a phone charger to power headphones?

Irodo_BSMD

I have headphones that take in audio from a 3.5mm jack and needs separate power via usb, could i plug the usb into my phone charger? 

Yeah, Via OTG if you're asking that.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I have headphones that take in audio from a 3.5mm jack and needs separate power via usb, could i plug the usb into my phone charger? 

By a wall charger I mean, sorry I was too vague aha

You should check the voltages. Some chargers push more than 5V even thou they use USB connector. It can be deadly to a unit that only accepts 5V. But if the charger says it delivers 5V only, and the headphones say they accept that, then sure, go ahead.

You should check the voltages. Some chargers push more than 5V even thou they use USB connector. It can be deadly to a unit that only accepts 5V. But if the charger says it delivers 5V only, and the headphones say they accept that, then sure, go ahead.

No, anything with USB pushes 5v. Otherwise it can't have a USB connector (at least for anything that is sold commercially. You could, of course make something that pushes more than 5v yourself). Some chargers do, however have the capability to push a higher amperage than the 1amp or so that computers put out.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

No, anything with USB pushes 5v. Otherwise it can't have a USB connector (at least for anything that is sold commercially. You could, of course make something that pushes more than 5v yourself). Some chargers do, however have the capability to push a higher amperage than the 1amp or so that computers put out.

Technically yes, but there's a catch. It's the use of the USB logo that's not allowed for non-standard applications. The use of the connector itself isn't restricted. In conjunction with the logo more than the standard amperage isn't allowed any more than ramped up voltage. There are more restrictions too, obviously, but data transmit rates and such are beside the point.

Take a look at your charger. Does it have the logo? How about the cable? One of the two follows the standard and the other one doesn't. Guess which. :D

Why would any charger with a USB connection push over 5V? Or do you mean up to the 5.25V max as specced? Can you name me any commercial product that uses the USB connector but with more than 5V on it?

Why would any charger with a USB connection push over 5V? Or do you mean up to the 5.25V max as specced? Can you name me any commercial product that uses the USB connector but with more than 5V on it?

You gotta quote my comment or mention me to send me a notification. I just happened to pop back here. :)

It's solely to charge faster. For example a few new Samsung phones do this. Like Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S6.

Here's an unrelated article with pictures that'll hopefully sooth your suspicions. Look at the specs printed on the Samsung and Motorola chargers.

You gotta quote my comment or mention me to send me a notification. I just happened to pop back here. :)

It's solely to charge faster. For example a few new Samsung phones do this. Like Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S6.

Here's an unrelated article with pictures that'll hopefully sooth your suspicions. Look at the specs printed on the Samsung and Motorola chargers.

Those are adaptive chargers. From what I understand they have sensing circuits and dont raise the voltage if the device doesn't support quickcharge

They don't raise the voltage. They raise the amperage. The amount of amperes that a charger pushes determines the charging speed, not the voltage. Raising the voltage is how you would break a phone.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Normally yes, in some cases no. Some special smart/quick chargers use increased voltage for more power (p=u*i) with devices that support it. Internally it gets converted back to 4.2V to charge, just like it would with a 5V input. 

They don't raise the voltage. They raise the amperage. The amount of amperes that a charger pushes determines the charging speed, not the voltage. Raising the voltage is how you would break a phone.

Here's an unrelated article with pictures that'll hopefully sooth your suspicions. Look at the specs printed on the Samsung and Motorola chargers.