Forgotten Tech Episode 1: Xperia Play

NeatSquidYT

Not all tech gets the love it deserves, thus it eventually fades into the back of people's minds to never come back again. I want to uncover some of these forgotten tech products and resurrect their memory. THESE ARE NOT GOING TO BE REVIEWS!!! Just a little memorial.

sonyeric-xperia_play-veriz-game-lg.jpg

This phone released in March of 2011 was revolutionary to me. At the time (me being a HUGE PS fanboy) I wanted this phone. I didn't even need the phone part, I just loved the flip out controller. The device runs on the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system, with early prototypes running Android 2.2.

From Wikipedia:

The device is said to feature games graphically within the range of similar portable devices[20] and plays these games via an application known as PlayStation Mobile. It changes the interface of the device from that of a phone to the XrossMediaBar, closely resembling that of the PlayStation Portable.[9][10] A dedicated section in Google Play specifically for games for the system allowing users to download games on the go is also added.[21][23] Titles shown off internally on the device include PSP games, such as God of War and LittleBigPlanet, as well as older PlayStation games; there are also plans for future games incorporating augmented reality similar to Invizimals.[21] The prices of the games were expected to be under US$10, considerably lower than the PlayStation Portable's price range of less than US$40 per game.[24] The device is compatible with Android software, which can be downloaded from the Google Play store (Formerly Android Market). Many games are optimized for use with the device's additional gaming controls, including the video game streaming service OnLive.[25]

On September 8, 2011, Sony Ericsson confirmed that the Xperia Play, and all Xperia phones released in 2011, would receive an update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. More information on this upgrade was announced on November 15, 2011.[44]

However, on May 25, 2012, a post on the Sony Xperia Product Blog stated that following beta testing and discussions with developers, the Xperia Play would not receive an update to Android 4.0, citing stability concerns.[45] A beta Android 4.0 ROM was made available for testing on unlocked phones.[46] Numerous independent developers have made custom roms with Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat and Lollipop available.

I only ever played with this thing once and I loved the controller. I think I played FIFA 11 or 12 on it. Great fun.

Do you remember this? Do you want more of this series? Tell me via a post :D

this... thing.... is.... shit.... i still have it in my drawer, it was slow, there werent many games for it and it was bulky as hell.

edit: like these posts btw

Do more fam

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

this... thing.... is.... shit.... i still have it in my drawer, it was slow, there werent many games for it and it was bulky as hell.

edit: like these posts btw

I miss my N900 and I wish there was an Android phone that is built like that, with the full qwerty keyboard, I wouldn't mind it being bulky. :(

like those posts, there was a nokia DJ smartphone once, I think it would fit in here :P

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

cousin had this phone... it was kinda shit like, to early for its time 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

like those posts, there was a nokia DJ smartphone once, I think it would fit in here :P

Nokia had the craziest phones! They had a lipstick phone, the N-gage, the camcorder phone, all sorts of bizarre phones :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, this reminds me of NGage.... I was so hyped about it, I couldn't stop playing games with it as a kid.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold