Start running?

as96

I know this isn't the best place to ask these kind of questions but... do you have any tips to start running?

I mean usually I go walking or ride a bike for at least 2-3 days a week and when I have a  lot of free time I go everyday, but today I tried to run but after 3-4 minutes I had already an heavy breathing so I stopped and went back to walking before I got exhausted, how should I train to improve my resistance?

Also at what speed should I run?

Linus"Can't life a Case" Tips

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

JUST DO IT!

And I did, but I had to do it in 3 minute bursts since it turns out I have the resistance of an old man when it comes to running.

I'm just looking for some tips on how to do improve.

RUN FORRRESSST RUNNNN

-gif-

I expected something like this  :rolleyes:

I expected something like this  :rolleyes:

How could you now :)

Start by doing 20 second walk, 20 second run. Increase that day by day and then reduce the rest time and increase the run time. This method worked for me very well.

Btw. Cycling >>>>>>>>>>>>> Running. Always.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Start by doing 20 second walk, 20 second run. Increase that day by day and then reduce the rest time and increase the run time. This method worked for me very well.

Btw. Cycling >>>>>>>>>>>>> Running. Always.

Thanks I'll try that :D

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

You can only build your stamina by doing it, you could start with power walking with a heavy bag on or something. 

Put some pumpkins in it idk.

:  )

scared.gif

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

more you do it the better you will get. like others have said, pace yourself as well. if you happen to have a 400 meter track around, a good start is run the straights walk the turns 4-8 laps, work up to running one of the turns and walking the other, then after that just run until you feel you need to take a break and walk and walk the next turn and continue running again until you can run the 4 to 8 laps(1 to 2 miles) you have set for yourself to acheive. After your body reaches that point, running longer distances will be a piece of cake. 

When I say run though, I dont mean sprint, just jog to fast jog. also dont expect to be running 4-8 laps in a weeks worth of training. it may take a month, it may take a couple months. If you havent run very much in recent times you have to remember running uses some different muscles then cycling and that is a big part of this unseen fatigue you are noticing.

warm up more first, do kinetic stretches, high kicks, etc to get your heart rate up. the first 10 ish minutes are the worst until your heart + breathing adjusts to the new demand. Take shorter steps and aim for like 120 - 150 steps per minute and tough it out till you get in the rythm.

I know this isn't the best place to ask these kind of questions but... do you have any tips to start running?

Start by adding some jogging to your walking routine, perhaps finish your walk by jogging home at a steady pace, slowly increasing how long you jog for, maybe after a few weeks do 10 minutes

Then slowly increase the speed, until its a slow steady run, then just build up

Dont go out for full on sprint on day one, you will just fall over dead after 30 seconds

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the first 10 ish minutes are the worst until your heart + breathing adjusts to the new demand

But I always heard that if you had troubles breathing steady enough to hold a conversation you should slow down.

Dont go out for full on sprint on day one, you will just fall over dead after 30 seconds

I pretty much went full on sprint, I lasted for a few minutes than I had too stop, I didn't feel too tired or pain I just had an awful lack of oxygen and a pretty bad heavy breathing. I did a few other bursts than went back to walking.

When I see people running they go at a good speed as well so I though that was the way to do it.

I mean usually I go walking or ride a bike for at least 2-3 days a week and when I have a  lot of free time I go everyday, but today I tried to run but after 3-4 minutes I had already an heavy breathing so I stopped and went back to walking before I got exhausted, how should I train to improve my resistance?

Also at what speed should I run?

Lol you must not be cycling right as they're both cardio and leg exercises, When I was cycling 4 miles everyday I could run pretty well.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Lol you must not be cycling right as they're both cardio and leg exercises, When I was cycling 4 miles everyday I could run pretty well.

Maybe but I really never had any difficulty on a bike, sure I wasn't going at high speed but I did a good 8-10Km a day at least once or twice a week.

Maybe but I really never had any difficulty on a bike, sure I wasn't going at high speed but I did a good 8-10Km a day at least once or twice a week.

Ah that's not enough that's why you got so tired so quick.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

But I always heard that if you had troubles breathing steady enough to hold a conversation you should slow down.

Uh no. I mean if that is your goal go for it but thats not a guideline for regular healthy runners. breathing hard and sweating and feeling uncomfortable is part of the package with cardio, don't be a weenie you have to tough it out.

I pretty much went full on sprint, I lasted for a few minutes than I had too stop, I didn't feel too tired or pain I just had an awful lack of oxygen and a pretty bad heavy breathing. I did a few other bursts than went back to walking.

When I see people running they go at a good speed as well so I though that was the way to do it.

And this was a problem. What are you aiming for? Good health, amateur sprinter or long distance runner? 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Shoot someone. You'll have no choice but to run then. Such a good motivator. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

You can run more than 3 minutes, you are just not used to it. don't run fast if you cant run though, as slow as you can maintain a steady pace.

:/

And this was a problem. What are you aiming for? Good health, amateur sprinter or long distance runner? 

I'm aiming at long distance and good health.