Wood Case (First self made) [Finished 11/09]

gylmir

Hey everybody.

i'm here since a while and noticed that you people have some realy nice builds etc.
so i wanted to make my own aswell and i always loved wooden pc cases and you can't find the so often.

i made some simple and easy plans and i would like to here your opinion.
i still need to modify the outside with stuff i have in my head but can't draw them.

thanks to take your time and tell me what you like or what you can't understand.

post-25074-0-99704100-1376128767.png
post-25074-0-95612700-1376128771.png
post-25074-0-74101500-1376248422.png
post-25074-0-42508100-1376248430.png

[Edit: 11/08]
i got some more items for the looks and instead of drawing what i'm not great at i'm going to show with pictures.
for the side panel not much special a window and my name cut out of the wood, but the name is going to be overlayed with a mesh and a white ccfl.

About the front there is alot more going on

the on/off (on/reset) switches are just the normal you can find in any store.
The old school temp meter like this
On top there will be a another pressure meter that i need to get stuck on a higher number than 0 :P

[edit: 17/08]
Ok today i worked 5 hours on the case and i have already a few things that will change on the design.

[edit: 26/08]
since the topic is getting to long i upload pictures on google you can find them on the link below
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106133681440893996843/albums/5916500043571522209
Also i love the corsair fans they have nice flow.

[EDIT:11/09]
The project is finaly finished in the link below you can find all the pictures how it went
i spend around 16+ hours on this.

the temps are 15 to 25 degrees lower so thumbs up.

on full load the system runs GPU 48° and CPU 44° instead around 74° on both.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106133681440893996843/albums/5916500043571522209

post-25074-0-83644100-1378917671_thumb.j
Edited by gylmir

you could custumise the case for water cooling so it would look realy cool :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Yeah I'll agree with @legopc and say you should put some water cooling support in there, or at the very least some fans along the front and an exhaust fan in the back :D

there will be 2 fans in the top and 2 in the bottom. (i choose this set-up because hot air go upwards and cold air go down so to push the hot air out and take cold air in ;)

@legopc yeah watercooling would be nice but thats in the future you will see when i put it all togheter i will keep this up-to-date with pics etc

tanks for the great response

Looks like a really cool idea, hope it works out for you. 

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

Updated new pictures added

is there a way to smaller the image tor to make thumbnails orsomething what bbcode can i use for it?

faster loading and less scrolling and only need to click open the picture you realy wanne see.

so is there any use for the pressure gauge or is it strictly cosmetic? 

also, i dont see many fan holes...why is that?

P.S. is that a jacket on the front panel?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

yes the pressure gauge is cosmetic.

I gonna use 2x 120mm in top and bottom still need to make the holes.

(at the moment i have no fans in my case and at max load it climbs up to 70° on cpu and gpu)

and yes that is correct it is, a jacket was cheaper than buying the materials.

at this point i spend around 30€ already on this case.

Are there any concerns in terms of safety?  I've been contemplating a wood case build for the past week or so.  Mind if I join you in your quest?  We could give each other help and input to each others progress as our projects continue.

Are there any concerns in terms of safety?  I've been contemplating a wood case build for the past week or so.  Mind if I join you in your quest?  We could give each other help and input to each others progress as our projects continue.

yes i would be glad to help you in you epic quest for casing ;).

if you have any question you may ask them on the topic or even in a pm.

terms of safety

1. yes always wear eye protection even when i cut out holes in wood there are chips flying around and they are small enough to poke your eye.

2. if you want to be sure to have right angle corners you will need a sawtable (mine where cut in the store also cheap thats why and doens't required a sawtable)

3. use the right tools for the right things don't use metal disc for wood unless you wanne have a burned look or don't use a screwdriver to make a hole (i have seen this doing by people)

@Armagedda thanks for the positive reaction, i hope we can see your project here aswell one day (it takes up a long time before i started mine i had like 2 week prepairing)

I was talking about safety as in would hot electronics inside a computer cause a wooden case to combust lol.

Cool idea, but I'd be afraid that it would catch on fire!

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

@FckCarrots and @TheSLSAMG

haha no it would never catch fire why would it ?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120914132439AAUKOBN

and if you spray it with anti heat paint on the inside it would even need to be higher.

always check what the heatresistant of the material you use.

my pc has now only a cpu fan and gpu fan and the highest temp they go on full load is 70° and that is in the summer so it must be a huge leap to increase the value with 55°.

and i will have more fans in the new case and later water cooling ;).

but thanks for your concerns about it.

This is kickass! Goodluck with the build!

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Looks promising! IMHO there needs to be more ventilation for the PSU though.

Anything built with screws is meant to be disassembled.

I don't know exactly why it would catch fire lol.  It's just a common concern I always see when seeing wooden cases being built.  Maybe bad wiring or something along those lines?

@concinnity you think there need to be more ? I drilled holes op 13mm in a square of 140 mm x 140mm i don't know but will try to make it bigger. Thx for the tip.

@Kiwiandapple thx, probably tomorrow i will update again.

@FckCarrots idd bad wiring but i don't realy have to wire anything than power and reset switch and i used old case cables. And to be sure i used heatshrink on the connection points.

And if it will catch fire i will keep you people up to date with fire pictures and how to put it out :)

You could add more holes with a smaller bit. You'll probably want to use a pressure optimized fan.

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel

• 3 weeks later...

finaly the build is compleet if you have any questions about it just shoot ;)

i hope you all enjoy it !

click on the link in the first post

makes more easy for everybody instead finding the post on page 1316 ;)

Here is a picture after a lanparty with the temps.

the room temp lowest was around 23.5° and highest 30°.

also my pc was running 48+ hours.

post-25074-0-18376600-1379341278_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Well done! Itried to do something like this but it went horribly wrong.

Hey man, i love the deisgn, im going to have to pinch your plans for my new chassis :)

No no i stay

Why on earth wood (ba dum tss) you want to make a wooden case?

it looks weird, lego cases are so much cooler :P

Folding for LTT since April 2016.