RAID: What Is It and Do I Need It?

ATTENTION: This is my first take on a guide. I haven't seen this specific topic anywhere else on the forum, so I figured I might as well. If someone else has done this before me then I honestly must have looked over it.

Greetings!

So you're probably here because you want to set up a Server/NAS, or maybe just want an existing one to run more efficiently. If you've ever looked into this subject you'll probably have heard about RAID. This guide is to show you what RAID is, if you need it, and (if you do) which one to use.

post-239070-0-03840700-1441473965.jpg

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive (or sometimes "Independent") Disks. In general, a RAID-enabled system uses two or more hard disks to improve the performance or provide some level of fault tolerance for a machine—typically a NAS or server. --- PCMag

In other words, you use RAID to get your storage configuration to work together better and (in some cases) provides a failsafe system incase an error occurs. There are many different levels of RAID, all meant for different (but for the most part similar) purposes, so for the sake of this guide I'll only cover the most common forms of RAID, and provide links to the others at the bottom.

RAID 0:

post-239070-0-06793400-1441471643.gif

Also known as "Disk Striping", RAID 0 is meant to increase server performance. Instead of having your data written on a single disk, it writes it on multiple (using stripes, or a sort of bridge between the disks). This basically means that the work the computer does is handled by all disks included in the RAID, as appose to just one. This increases the speed of the included disks' I/O, making your disk R/W much faster. However, it has a drawback. As the data is shared among multiple disks, if one fails, then the data is comepletely lost altogether. Not recommended for OS storage. - A minimum of 2 disks are required for RAID 0.

RAID 1:

post-239070-0-23269700-1441471773.gif

Also known as "Disk Mirroring", RAID 1 is meant for fault-tolerance. By "mirroring", or copying, all files on a disk to another whenever a change is made, it prevents data lossage if a disk fails, as it can recover data from the disk's "mirror". This does slow down performance a little and as it needs the space to copy, it cuts all disks included in the RAID's capacity in half. If you had 2 2TB disks, you now have a safer, but much smaller 2 1TB disks. Also note that no RAID is 100% foolproof, though they are pretty effective. - A minimum of 2 disks are required for RAID 0.

RAID 5:

This RAID is the most common for businesses and enterprises, but its a bit harder to explain. Look at the animated illistration to follow what I'm saying.

post-239070-0-10380800-1441471959.gif

So essentially, RAID 5 is meant to be the go-between from 1 and 0. It grants a bit better performance boost than mirroring while still not sacrificing data safety. Basically, data and parity (automatically generated backed up data) are striped across three or more disks. If one fails, then saved data is copied from the failing disk's parity block (illustrated above), and moved through the stripes (data bridges) to another disk. In turn, rescuing any data that was at risk of being lost. Both the parity block generation and stripe transfer are seamless and automatic, and so the server system (and those using it) can continue to run unaffected. - A minimum of 3 disks are required for RAID 5.

RAID 6:

post-239070-0-22015900-1441472733.gif

Pretty much identical to RAID 5, with the exception that it one more parity block, so you can have 2 disks fail before the system is compromised, as apposed to RAID 5's 1. - A minimum of 3 disks are required for RAID 6.

RAID 10:

Don't have a picture sorry. Enjoy this green text though!

RAID 10, also known as RAID 1+0, is appropriately named. It is basically a mix between RAIDs 1 and 0. It gives much better performance, but unfortunately requires more disks to run it. Generally used for larger corporations with much bigger storage servers. - A minimum of 4 disks are required for RAID 10/1+0.

So Those are the main RAID configurations.

There's also RAIDs 2, 3, 4, and 7 but they are mostly just modified versions of the above (which are the main RAIDs) and so I won't include them in this guide, but you can look them up at the links below.

These are considered "Standard" RAIDs, but there are also "Non-Standard" RAIDs which you can also look up in the links below.

Thanks for reading my guide!

LINKS:

Source 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Source 2: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370235,00.asp

RAID 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_2

RAID 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_3

RAID 4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_4

RAID 7: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel7-c.html ( NOTE: RAID 7 is not an open industry RAID, nor is it for consumer use. It has been trademarked by the Storage Computer Corporation)

Nonstandard RAIDs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

or you can just watch this 5 minute video

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

or you can just watch this 5 minute video

Thats only 1, 0, and 10. This guide goes indepth on 5 and 6, as well as provides links to the rest and non-standard RAIDs.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Thats only 1, 0, and 10. This guide goes indepth on 5 and 6, as well as provides links to the rest and non-standard RAIDs.

here are the other kinds

but regular consumers mostly use 0 and 1 so this isnt really that important

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nice guide...

though I didn't read it all :P

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Its what I use to get cockroach stampedes in my garage in Egypt...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.