Is it okay if I just screw one of the screw holes on the hard drive?

Dobbsjr

I was doing some dust cleaning, and I unscrewed the HDD from the 3.5" bay. I must of messed up the screw holes on the bottom because when I tried to mount the HDD onto the bay, 3 of the screws weren't screwing in. I tried screwing them in without the bay and I found out that the top half of the 3 screw holes were all fudged up. Now I can only screw in one screw. Will that somehow affect the longevity of the drive? Thanks in advance.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

I was doing some dust cleaning, and I unscrewed the HDD from the 3.5" bay. I must of messed up the screw holes on the bottom because when I tried to mount the HDD onto the bay, 3 of the screws weren't screwing in. I tried screwing them in without the bay and I found out that the top half of the 3 screw holes were all fudged up. Now I can only screw in one screw. Will that somehow affect the longevity of the drive? Thanks in advance.

it will vibrate and be noisy, you can manage with 2 i would not screw just one screw in 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I really wouldn't do it.

Well, I can only manage to screw one in. :(

whats the size of the hard drive

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

To be honest if you have managed to damage the threads inside the screw holes to such an extent that you can't get screws to hold I would suspect other internal damage .  Mount with one screw get everything of you can and ditch that drive.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

To be honest if you have managed to damage the threads inside the screw holes to such an extent that you can't get screws to hold I would suspect other internal damage .  Mount with one screw get everything of you can and ditch that drive.

What makes you think this? Sometimes screws/screw holes break really easily. This does not mean the drive is broken.

@op Could you maybe post a picture of your harddrive cage, and explain how it works?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

If it is the hdd cage from the nzxt h440 of your build, then i think it's even better to leave it unscrewed (compared to 1 screw) IF you arent moving your case alot, (because it looks like it is sitting on rubber mounting points.

Can you provide a picture of the damaged screw points on the hdd?

What makes you think this? Sometimes screws/screw holes break really easily. This does not mean the drive is broken.

The screw into holes (I believe) are in the drive enough force/torque to strip threads MAY well have caused something else to get broken indide the drive.

I wouldn't trust it but hey whatever you/he wants to do.

So OP is it the drive that has the stripped threads or the bay?

"This too shall pass"

The screw into holes (I believe) are in the drive enough force/torque to strip threads MAY well have caused something else to get broken indide the drive.

I wouldn't trust it but hey whatever you/he wants to do.

So OP is it the drive that has the stripped threads or the bay?

The entire hole(on the drive) isn't broken. Only the top half is. I can manage to screw some holes in without the bay in the way, but since the bay is thick because of the rubber grommets I can't mount the drive properly.

To be honest if you have managed to damage the threads inside the screw holes to such an extent that you can't get screws to hold I would suspect other internal damage . Mount with one screw get everything of you can and ditch that drive.

Only the top half of the threads are damaged. I can still get screws to hold without the bay.

If it is the hdd cage from the nzxt h440 of your build, then i think it's even better to leave it unscrewed (compared to 1 screw) IF you arent moving your case alot, (because it looks like it is sitting on rubber mounting points.

Can you provide a picture of the damaged screw points on the hdd?

You can't tell the difference. The reason why I think they are damaged is because the screws only start to tighten halfway.

The entire hole(on the drive) isn't broken. Only the top half is. I can manage to screw some holes in without the bay in the way, but since the bay is thick because of the rubber grommets I can't mount the drive properly.

So add 'part of the'.

enough force/torque to strip PART OF THE threads MAY well have caused something else to get broken inside the drive.

I wouldn't trust it but hey whatever you want to do.

You are using the proper screws, one type has a fine thread one type has a coarse thread, HDDs take coarse (UTS 6-32),these also come in different lengths again you are using the correct ones?

"This too shall pass"