I have a question to any and all of you engineers on this forum

Whorax

I am and always have been under the impression that if you want to get through any engineering program in college you need to be a borderline genius, with math in particular. Is this true? Quick Google searches tell me nearly anyone can get through engineering programs if the person puts in enough dedication and has the discipline to study, etc., but I still don't know.

I'm super interested in aerospace engineering, computer science, and computer engineering, but I just have doubts about my ability to succeed in the coursework--particularly with math classes. I skipped out on math my senior year of high school (worst mistake of my 19 y/o life...those of you still in high school take the most challenging math courses possible) and ever since then I've been almost afraid of math because I haven't been exposed to challenging material in two or three years. I'm willing to work my ass off if it's towards an ultimate enjoyable goal, but I'm afraid that the coursework will be too hard even with all the effort I could put in.

I'm currently in the first semester of my sophomore year in the accounting/MIS program at my university but my heart just isn't in it. I was never really interested in it in the first place and I'm beginning to realize I'll never be happy doing something I'm just not happy with...obviously. I'm considering switching over my major but it's really a scary step to even think about doing.

I don't know what the demographic is like on this forum education wise, but if anyone out there has any sort of insight I'd really appreciate it.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Kindda wondering this. For my college to be w computer technician you get s degree in Electrical Engineering though.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Kindda wondering this. For my college to be w computer technician you get s degree in Electrical Engineering though.

I think you mean computer engineer

you don't really need anything other then good computer knowledge to be a technician..ive been a technician since I was like 13

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I think you mean computer engineer

you don't really need anything other then good computer knowledge to be a technician..ive been a technician since I was like 13

Look in the right side.

Also my bad it's Electronic Engineering not Electrical.

post-221908-0-03530400-1441426347_thumb.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Fun fact: not all Engineering degrees involve the same stuff. Also this highly depends on the school since it can vary widely. But yes you can expect Math, and physics, and wacky eccentric engineers as your professors. Did I mention math and physics? Because yes there's lots of them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Fun fact: not all Engineering degrees involve the same stuff. Also this highly depends on the school since it can vary widely. But yes you can expect Math, and physics, and wacky eccentric engineers as your professors. Did I mention math and physics? Because yes there's lots of them.

I have a bit of knowledge on the different things needed by different engineering disciplines, I just don't know if I have the ability to do it. Some people will say anyone can do it if they give it their all, others will say the opposite.

I think the thing I'm the most afraid of is diving into engineering and ending up utterly failing and setting my education back even further. I'd already be behind about a couple years if I switch majors now and I don't want to spend my early-mid 20s in (and paying for) school figuring out what I want to do if I do end up not faring well in one of the engineering disciplines.

Привет товарищ ))))

I have a bit of knowledge on the different things needed by different engineering disciplines, I just don't know if I have the ability to do it. Some people will say anyone can do it if they give it their all, others will say the opposite.

I think the thing I'm the most afraid of is diving into engineering and ending up utterly failing and setting my education back even further. I'd already be behind about a couple years if I switch majors now and I don't want to spend my early-mid 20s in (and paying for) school figuring out what I want to do if I do end up not faring well in one of the engineering disciplines.

if you fail...you can always whore yourself out to fat chicks...fat chicks need love to

if you have a logically minded brain..then computers and engineering is relatively simple

if you don't think very logically..then it will probably be harder... (heres one reason why theres not a ton of females in that field)

I did fine, but i'm a borderline genius, so not sure if its possible or not otherwise.   The math in engineering is quite ridiculous. It was a day of celebration when i was finally done with that portion.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Shit am horrible at math. Am still aiming towards being an Engineer. All you need to do is remember a shit ton of math and study constantly mate. Studying and reviewing are very important when wanting to be an Engineer.

I mean you don't need to do the numbers in your head but remember the equations and such.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Well, I graduated high school, with a highest grade math at algebra two, and only barely passing it with a C and D grade my junior year. I'm currently majoring in computer science now, can't say not taking a math or applying myself was a mistake, it is a pain, since in college i had to start at an entry level math class, but besides adding a couple years to my graduation it hasn't really hindered me at all. Of course it helps I come from a very, very intelligent line of people, so when I do choose to apply myself I come through very successful. My grandmother has an IQ of around 140, my father an IQ of about 135, my mother 130's, my grandfather 130's, and my other grandfather sat comfy at 152 when he left the navy's computer tech development. I really hate to stroke my own e-peen like that, but thems' sum pretty fockin high numbers m9.

Anyway, disregard that last bit. I can say from first hand experience, it's a pain to not have succeeded with flying colors, but it's not stopped me from getting what I want; it just takes a bit more effort.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

if you have a logically minded brain..then computers and engineering is relatively simple

if you don't think very logically..then it will probably be harder... (heres one reason why theres not a ton of females in that field)

I'd like to think I'm a pretty logical person..

I did fine, but i'm a borderline genius, so not sure if its possible or not otherwise.

I used to think I was a genius in high school but then I got to college and realized I wasn't nearly as smart as I had previously thought. Hahaha

Привет товарищ ))))

I am and always have been under the impression that if you want to get through any engineering program in college you need to be a borderline genius, with math in particular. Is this true? Quick Google searches tell me nearly anyone can get through engineering programs if the person puts in enough dedication and has the discipline to study, etc., but I still don't know.

I'm super interested in aerospace engineering, computer science, and computer engineering, but I just have doubts about my ability to succeed in the coursework--particularly with math classes. I skipped out on math my senior year of high school (worst mistake of my 19 y/o life...those of you still in high school take the most challenging math courses possible) and ever since then I've been almost afraid of math because I haven't been exposed to challenging material in two or three years. I'm willing to work my ass off if it's towards an ultimate enjoyable goal, but I'm afraid that the coursework will be too hard even with all the effort I could put in.

I'm currently in the first semester of my sophomore year in the accounting/MIS program at my university but my heart just isn't in it. I was never really interested in it in the first place and I'm beginning to realize I'll never be happy doing something I'm just not happy with...obviously. I'm considering switching over my major but it's really a scary step to even think about doing.

I don't know what the demographic is like on this forum education wise, but if anyone out there has any sort of insight I'd really appreciate it.

I am an actual registered professional engineer educated and trained in Canada.

It just takes dedication. If you can do that, you'll be fine.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I'd like to think I'm a pretty logical person..

I used to think I was a genius in high school but then I got to college and realized I wasn't nearly as smart as I had previously thought. Hahaha

I was the opposite, i thought i was dumb in HS and graduated w/ highest gpa in my mechanical engineering graduating class.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I did fine, but i'm a borderline genius

You should ask your doctor about getting your arm length increased so you can more easily pat yourself on the back.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I am currently Studying Electrical Engineering, I just started my Forth year and wont finish till 2017 and math is the reason for that. I failed Calc 1 first year in college and last semester failed calc 3 (retaking it now). Honestly if you work hard enough and study your but off (I spent 9 hours on a pre-lab yesterday) you can succeeded. To give you a little hope I worked in the industry as a product engineer this summer and there was not a large math component mostly just data crunching and statics. Being an engineer in the end it all about being able to problem solve, if you are good at research and getting to the root cause of a problem and coming up with a solution for that problem you can succeed as an engineer all math aside. 

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

I'm in my fourth year of a Bachelor of Engineering with a Mechanical major, which is possibly the most maths/physics-intense major available.

Back in high school I got pretty average grades in everything (usually B's and C's), English being my worst subject and Maths being my best subject.

Even then, I didn't always get A's in Maths.

Here's the thing: In order to be an engineer, you don't need to be a mathematics genius. You need to be able to tolerate maths.

If you can tolerate it, you can learn it and do it.

Heck I didn't even study physics or chemistry in high school, so it's not like you need to ace high school.

You just need to put in enough effort to guarantee entry into the university degree you're most interested in.

Personally I love mechanical engineering. The assignments can get difficult but there's plenty of scope for employment, decent employment opportunities, good wages, and most importantly I just find it interesting and it's fun to learn new stuff.

I'm in my fourth year of a Bachelor of Engineering with a Mechanical major, which is possibly the most maths/physics-intense major available.

You got that wrong. Mech is not the most math/physics intense. Electrical engineering is, followed by chemical.

You got that wrong. Mech is not the most math/physics intense. Electrical engineering is, followed by chemical.

Why do you reckon they are?

Why do you reckon they are?

Experience.

Same.

Ok, sure. Go back playing with your stress-strain curves and be quiet.

^

Electrical engineering is by far the hardest math.

Sure is.

I will start this with I am very good at math,  although I am getting a degree in computer engineering and the math has not been problematic  for me yet (Currently in 

Linear Algebra). Now, I have friends who are not great at math and with help from school resources and whatnot did fine.