Over 17% Windows 10 users: Steam hardware survey August:

I'll use a SS to put things into perspective, the only upfront difference between Vista and 7 is GUI changes (apart from Vista being more security orientated after XP being riddled with holes), with programs like Paint and Calculator getting revamped, and the quick launch and task bars getting combined. This is Vista with the taskbar extended:

attachicon.gifUntitled2.jpg

If Vista came after 7, it would be the best parts of XP and Windows 7 (excluding aero snap).

As if I didn't know that 7 is a reskinned Vista. Of course, the younger me didn't know that, but I'm well aware of 7 being a reskinned Vista with some things changed around.

Consider Windows 10 is a free upgrade. I'd say 17% is a failure. 

In 1 month? Hardly. Not everyone gets the upgrade prompt if they are missing drivers for instance. Also this is only for steam gamers. And a lot of those are sticking to Windows 7 like the fanatics did with XP. It really makes no sense.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

In 1 month? Hardly. Not everyone gets the upgrade prompt if they are missing drivers for instance. Also this is only for steam gamers. And a lot of those are sticking to Windows 7 like the fanatics did with XP. It really makes no sense.

It does when you consider the fact that if people like using something, they will keep on using it. The upgrade cycle and Microsoft deciding what their users want doesn't mean that you need to get the 'latest and greatest' version of Microsoft Windows. Just look at how many issues people are having with Windows 10 since its launch (aside from telemetry data).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am probably one of the only people in the world that liked the w8.1 start menu

Don't they have a similar version to that start menu in W10?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

It does when you consider the fact that if people like using something, they will keep on using it. The upgrade cycle and Microsoft deciding what their users want doesn't mean that you need to get the 'latest and greatest' version of Microsoft Windows. Just look at how many issues people are having with Windows 10 since its launch (aside from telemetry data).

Windows 10 is superior in every way to previous versions though.

The only issues I've seen seems to be NVidia driver related. But for a new OS, the issues are very miniscule.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 is superior in every way to previous versions though.

The only issues I've seen seems to be NVidia driver related. But for a new OS, the issues are very miniscule.

No its actually not, there are very few changes between it and Windows 8.1 with said changes either being stupid-like the way search now functions-of deliberately made exclusive to get people to use it (eg. DirectX 12, Vista as an example had DirectX 10 listed as being exclusive to it as it couldn't run on XP, which it actually wasn't as it could be installed on Windows XP and used without any problems).

PMSL

No its actually not, there are very few changes between it and Windows 8.1 with said changes either being stupid-like the way search now functions-of deliberately made exclusive to get people to use it (eg. DirectX 12, Vista as an example had DirectX 10 listed as being exclusive to it as it couldn't run on XP, which it actually wasn't as it could be installed on Windows XP and used without any problems).

The entire driver platform (WDDM 2) is different, and much faster and better (DX 12 requires WDDM 2 which is why it's W10 exclusive). Startup is faster too, and the GUI is an improvement over 8.1, also with the action center. That's just off the top of my head though.

I think Wendell in the tek episode today suggested a good compromise: virtualizing Windows 10 from Linux with full GPU pass-through basically cutting it off from the world if you want to limit telemetry stuff and what not. I don't think my current CPU supports hardware pass through but I can just upgrade if needed.

just dont connect to the internet if you're so paranoid.

Ok, so what about the other 83% of Windows users? The ones who have shitty internet, don't trust Windows 10 or don't feel the need to upgrade (using Vista even Windows 7 wasn't really necessary-all of the 'fixes' could have been rolled out through Windows updates).

That's not 17% of windows users but 17% of all users.

That is it? Wow also check out r/PCMasterRace and see all the users that can't even launch a steam game because windows 10 either crashes it or has horrible memory leaks

The only games I've had issues personally were Fallout 1, 2 and tactics but considering the age of the game, that's not surprising.

So your OK with a total stranger seeing your dick pics?

Plot twist, how about you dont take dick pics, there's plenty on the internet or in a worst case, man up and dont care.

Do they even make standalone 768p monitors? I've only ever encountered them in laptops.

CRTs?

16.39% of Steam users use Windows 10. Which means if a game released that relied on Directx 12 less than a fifth of PC gamers would be able to play it.

That's in a month since release... that meanst 2-3 month in it will be 30%, 40%, etc.

This post makes me chuckle.

You say there is no money to be made in "policing piracy". Yet you cite the endeavours of a company that's sole purpose is to monitor piracy, there's practically a whole industry surrounding the monitoring and policing of copyright infringement. The data Microsoft can pick up, is also way more valuable because it's from source, and can't be obscured by proxies and VPNs. I suspect many 3rd parties would be willing to pay a premium for that data.

The only thing stopping Microsoft from selling this sort of data is the potential public backlash and exodus from Windows. I don't understand the "everybody has my data anyways argument", they really don't, and Microsoft has a far better platform to take it than most.

I said there's no money to made by Microsoft and Google specifically by policing piracy, not that there is no money to be made in policing piracy.

Learn to fucking read.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

For those of you complaining about the Nvidia driver in Windows 10, that is entirely Nvidia's fault, as they develop the driver, not Microsoft. Want it to be fixed? Good, then go to Nvidia rather than blame an unrelated company for it.

I said there's no money to made by Microsoft and Google specifically by policing piracy, not that there is no money to be made in policing piracy.

Learn to fucking read.

Likewise dude. You missed my point.

There is money to be made from policing piracy, the only reason Microsoft can't is due to the people complaining about the thing you're telling them not to complain about.

Yikes, and 64-bit XP was really not that common at the time too. First computer I got after Windows 7 dropped had Windows 7

Consider Windows 10 is a free upgrade. I'd say 17% is a failure. 

17% in one month is nothing to laugh at.

Consider that Google Chrome had a 3% market share after its first month, and was advertised as a free download on one of the most used sites on the net, by a company that specializes in advertising. Took it 3 years before it had the same userbase as Internet Explorer (At around 25% each, with Firefox at around 42%) and a further 2 years to reach a 50% market share.

That means that for 3 years, people preferred IE to Chrome. By your logic, was it too a failure?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

People need to stop complaining about Windows 10 and accept the fact that it's the same thing that happened to Windows 7 and XP (this time it's 10 vs 7). A lot more people will upgrade to 10 cause it's free. Bugs and driver issues will be ironed out by the end of the year and the market share will just keep on rising. Now that all operating systems from MS track your data (it doesn't matter that 1% of the users know they can just ignore the update on 7/8.1, most people won't know a thing about it and just install it automatically) performance and stability are the only 2 problems worth discussing and so far Windows 10 seems to have the better performance and only a few stability hiccups (nVidia's drivers, though I personally did not encounter any problems).

What market share did Windows 7 have after 2 months (or 5 weeks to make it a fair comparison)? 

Yikes, and 64-bit XP was really not that common at the time too. First computer I got after Windows 7 dropped had Windows 7

17% in one month is nothing to laugh at.

Consider that Google Chrome had a 3% market share after its first month, and was advertised as a free download on one of the most used sites on the net, by a company that specializes in advertising. Took it 3 years before it had the same userbase as Internet Explorer (At around 25% each, with Firefox at around 42%) and a further 2 years to reach a 50% market share.

That means that for 3 years, people preferred IE to Chrome. By your logic, was it too a failure?

I'm surprised you compare "switching" from IE and Firefox to Chrome, to "upgrading" from the old Windows version to the new one. 

No point to keep the discussion if you can't see the difference. 

I'm surprised you compare "switching" from IE and Firefox to Chrome, to "upgrading" from the old Windows version to the new one. 

No point to keep the discussion if you can't see the difference. 

Point is, not everyone is keen on switching straight away, probably because of past issues. 17% is a good number for 5 weeks, more people are going to switch to Windows 10 than are going to revert back to Windows 7

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Point is, not everyone is keen on switching straight away, probably because of past issues. 17% is a good number for 5 weeks, more people are going to switch to Windows 10 than are going to revert back to Windows 7

I myself switched back to Vista from Windows 7. So far its been far more stable and it appears to allow me to get higher overclocks (similar to Ubuntu Gnome). That being said, cinebench scores higher under Linux+WINE than it does under Vista (OpenGL was within margin of error however), I can do everything that I used to be able to do with ease under XP and couldn't under Windows 7, plus the 32bit version is far lighter on system resources than Windows 7 (HDD/SSD space used + the CPU and RAM).

PMSL