Over 17% Windows 10 users: Steam hardware survey August:

Get rid of the spyware i'd upgrade. Until then W10 can eat a dick.

Windows 10 *ignore the fucking spying its everywhere anyway*

is a gr8 os.

Those spying features are on 7 and 8.1 now.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Which is why I've said fuck you to Microsoft and chosen an OS that's turned out to be faster and less annoying than Windows 7 (also, its more user friendly):

post-155575-0-49178200-1441441831_thumb.

post-155575-0-49178200-1441441831_thumb.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am probably one of the only people in the world that liked the w8.1 start menu

Nah there were quite alot of people that liked it. They just weren't very verbal about it. Especially since the hate bandwagon people will declare you retarded.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

though the ability to adjust the colors of the boxes and everything freely would be incredible. Too bad they refuse to do that.

Man that's annoying

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Which is why I've said fuck you to Microsoft and chosen an OS that's turned out to be faster and less annoying than Windows 7 (also, its more user friendly):

LoL @Paranoia @Vista

Hhahahaha this is so funny whats happening with MS and W10 lately.People are going places over this.

You can uninstall that update if you accidentally installed it. I did.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

LoL @Paranoia @Vista

Hhahahaha this is so funny whats happening with MS and W10 lately.People are going places over this.

Straight up, they can not be allowed to think that people don't care about what they are doing.

PMSL

Ok, so what about the other 83% of Windows users? The ones who have shitty internet, don't trust Windows 10 or don't feel the need to upgrade (using Vista even Windows 7 wasn't really necessary-all of the 'fixes' could have been rolled out through Windows updates).

Don't forget people who don't participate in the surveys.

I don't, because Steam wants to know what programs you have installed.

And I can imagine people who do not participate, would all be people who didn't downgrade to Windows 10.

If you were dumb enough to use automatic Windows updates.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Windows 10 *ignore the fucking spying its everywhere anyway*

is a gr8 os.

Exactly my opinion on "Privacy".

You are on the internet, anybody can see your personal data with a bit of effort.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

You are on the internet, anybody can see your personal data with a bit of effort.

Exactly, I agree.

Just as an example, some torrent sites have banned Windows 10 users due to "privacy concerns" except Microsoft has no reason to really care about policing piracy, there is no money to be made by them doing that, just like Google doesn't want to be the internet police either. In fact, it only costs them money to engage in doing that (both Microsoft and Google).

Most pirates should be more worried about a company like Mark Monitor. They directly work for IP rights holders and here's some of Mark Monitor's own statements on their Anti-Piracy efforts,

"Efficiently detects piracy across the Internet by simultaneously monitoring millions of P2P users across all major networks, live and video streaming sites, auction sites, blogs, exchanges, websites and online forums" "Capture extensive evidence on infringers for potential future use in legal cases." "Send automated DMCA takedown notices to ISPs hosting infringing sites." "Deliver comprehensive online and real-time reports detailing ongoing piracy activity and results of enforcement efforts." https://www.markmonitor.com/services/antipiracy.php

And no amount of FOSS or "uninstalling" or tweaks to your OS can stop Mark Monitor.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So your OK with a total stranger seeing your dick pics?

PMSL

16.39% of Steam users use Windows 10. Which means if a game released that relied on Directx 12 less than a fifth of PC gamers would be able to play it.

Vulkan ftw.

The most interesting thing about the Steam Hardware Survey is the sheer number of PC gamers playing on laptops.

Most common CPU speeds between 2.3 and 2.69 GHz -- laptop CPUs

Most common GPU -- Intel HD 4000

VRAM -- 1GB (22% have 2GB, only 2% have 3GB and only 7% have 4GB)

Resolution -- 27% on 1366x768, 34% on 1920x1080, 1% on 1440p and 0.07% on 4K

Do they even make standalone 768p monitors? I've only ever encountered them in laptops.

Get rid of the spyware i'd upgrade. Until then W10 can eat a dick.

Windows 7 and 8/.1 has this too now. But I linked a video that tells you how to get rid of all of it in Windows 10. If that is good enough for Tek Syndicate, it should be more than enough for everyone else really. Oh I assume you don't use any Google services right?

Them 17% so smart that they jumped to Win10 for all those glorious DX12 games, impeccable drivers and spying.

Oh wait...

Drivers have worked just fine on my dekstop and my 4 year old laptop. Then again none of them has NVidia cards, so that might be the issue. Performance is even faster than 8.1 and all CPU limited games gain performance due to WDDM 2. Q1 2016 will have a lot of AAA DX12 games coming out. Like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and The Division.

Which is why I've said fuck you to Microsoft and chosen an OS that's turned out to be faster and less annoying than Windows 7 (also, its more user friendly)

You must be joking? I liked Vista when it came out (XP was so obsolete back then). But even Windows 7 is obsolete now. You are using a 5 generation old OS. Does it even support SSD's?

More user friendly than what?

Don't forget people who don't participate in the surveys.

I don't, because Steam wants to know what programs you have installed.

And I can imagine people who do not participate, would all be people who didn't downgrade to Windows 10.

If you were dumb enough to use automatic Windows updates.

Pretty sure most people participate. The odd one out should not skew the results as it is in percentages.

In what way is Win10 a downgrade? For me it's an upgrade in every way to 8.1 which in return was a large upgrade to 7.

Yeah who wants security updates. They suck ;)

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

16.39% of Steam users use Windows 10. Which means if a game released that relied on Directx 12 less than a fifth of PC gamers would be able to play it.

Vulkan ftw.

Depending on how good Vulcan actually is, it might be the best choice of API for devs as they wouldn't need to port between DirectX 12 and Vulcan to reach all PC gamers whether they use Windows, OS 10 or Linux-and it should be OS version independent to a certain point as well (eg. no XP support but support for Vista or Windows 7 and above).

Edit: Yeah....Microsoft seems to have backed themselves into a corner-DirectX 12 really needs to have a lot of benefits over Vulcan to continue the DirectX API.

PMSL

Depending on how good Vulcan actually is, it might be the best choice of API for devs as they wouldn't need to port between DirectX 12 and Vulcan to reach all PC gamers whether they use Windows, OS 10 or Linux-and it should be OS version independent to a certain point as well (eg. no XP support but support for Vista or Windows 7 and above).

Edit: Yeah....Microsoft seems to have backed themselves into a corner-DirectX 12 really needs to have a lot of benefits over Vulcan to continue the DirectX API.

I want Vulkan to be really good. I want Linux, Mac, Windows 7 and Windows 10 to be equally good gaming platforms -- at least in terms of OS suitability. I don't think it's a good idea for a company whose eggs are all in a console basket to be given so little competition when it comes to the PC as a gaming platform.

Not to mention the possibility of a wealth of potentially extremely powerful Android consoles is quite exciting and would be very possible with Vulkan.

Vulkan ftw.

The most interesting thing about the Steam Hardware Survey is the sheer number of PC gamers playing on laptops.

Most common CPU speeds between 2.3 and 2.69 GHz -- laptop CPUs

Most common GPU -- Intel HD 4000

VRAM -- 1GB (22% have 2GB, only 2% have 3GB and only 7% have 4GB)

Resolution -- 27% on 1366x768, 34% on 1920x1080, 1% on 1440p and 0.07% on 4K

Do they even make standalone 768p monitors? I've only ever encountered them in laptops.

Yeah the gap in performance between a good gaming laptop and a standard gaming desktop is diminishing.

The adoption rate if Windows 10 is astonishing. This is a mere 5 weeks after release. As the numbers also state a LOT of people have DX12 capable hardware. I would speculate by the end of the yeah, that 30-40% of all with DX12 hardware, has Windows 10.

Edit: Btw Vulkan will also perform better in Windows 10 because of WDDM 2.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Yeah the gap in performance between a good gaming laptop and a standard gaming desktop is diminishing.

The adoption rate if Windows 10 is astonishing. This is a mere 5 weeks after release. As the numbers also state a LOT of people have DX12 capable hardware. I would speculate by the end of the yeah, that 30-40% of all with DX12 hardware, has Windows 10.

Is it though? These aren't gaming laptops -- they don't even have GPUs they're on Intel HD 4000. Seeing through this lens, the idea of Iris graphics being on every laptop sold regardless is actually quite exciting.

And for your second point, you are still assuming that 60-70% of the market will just be ignored. That's not sensible business practice. Your projection at its most optimistic will put it where Windows 7 is right now.

API exclusivity didn't help Vista, it just encouraged people to skip 10 and go straight to 11. I don't see how repeating that is going to have different results. Especially now that openGL, or its equivalent, is a much more attractive option than it ever has been in the past.

Is it though? These aren't gaming laptops -- they don't even have GPUs they're on Intel HD 4000. Seeing through this lens, the idea of Iris graphics being on every laptop sold regardless is actually quite exciting.

And for your second point, you are still assuming that 60-70% of the market will just be ignored. That's not sensible business practice. Your projection at its most optimistic will put it where Windows 7 is right now.

API exclusivity didn't help Vista, it just encouraged people to skip 10 and go straight to 11. I don't see how repeating that is going to have different results. Especially now that openGL, or its equivalent, is a much more attractive option than it ever has been in the past.

DirectX 10 wasn't actually a true 'Vista' exclusive. I have installed it-and used it-multiple times under Windows XP with my GTX 650ti.

PMSL

You must be joking? I liked Vista when it came out (XP was so obsolete back then). But even Windows 7 is obsolete now. You are using a 5 generation old OS. Does it even support SSD's?

Win7 is the first OS with true SSD support.  However Sandforce-based SSDs do TRIM on their own and Samsung Magician can take care of it if you're using a Samsung SSD on Vista.  So it's pretty much a non-issue.

As for 5 generations, make that 3.   Win7 is essentially Vista SP3 and Win8.1 is essentially Win 8 SP1. 

DirectX 10 wasn't actually a true 'Vista' exclusive. I have installed it-and used it-multiple times under Windows XP with my GTX 650ti.

Officially it was, there are workarounds though.

Win7 is the first OS with true SSD support.  However Sandforce-based SSDs do TRIM on their own and Samsung Magician can take care of it if you're using a Samsung SSD on Vista.  So it's pretty much a non-issue.

As for 5 generations, make that 3.   Win7 is essentially Vista SP3 and Win8.1 is essentially Win 8 SP1. 

I have no idea how different it is under the hood but Windows 10 feels like 8 SP2. The UI seems like the biggest difference.

Yep, I'm using Corsairs utility to manage TRIM on the SSD.

@Notional

There is nothing actually wrong with Vista-it still receives updates even though Microsoft wants to end its support soon (which TBH changes nothing since its been a lot more stable for me than Windows 7) and Vista is more user friendly than Windows 7 and to some extent XP. Oh and it flogs the shit out of Windows 8 in being user friendly.

PMSL

Officially it was, there are workarounds though.

I have no idea how different it is under the hood but Windows 10 feels like 8 SP2. The UI seems like the biggest difference.

Workarounds? I just downloaded the installer from Microsoft's website and I had DirectX 10 (the standalone installer that is).

PMSL

So your OK with a total stranger seeing your dick pics?

Are you that embarrassed of your D that it is the first thing that comes up your mind ?!

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE