[Needed] Z77 Board With Tons Of SATA

Hey guys,

I currently own a Z7 based system with a 3770K CPU. I am a storage hog, so need a board with tons of SATA ports on it as I hate external storage, lost too many to count. I have been searching for days, only to find out that none of my favourite OEMs make such a board. ASUS has 10 to 12 at most, Gigabyte 10 etc...

Z77%20Extreme11(L1).jpg

As it turns out only AsRock seem to think of people like me. Only this board is hard to find and I do not want to build a whole new system just for a Board. Where can I find it ? Amazon n NewEgg do not have it in stock. Is this board any good ? Has anyone tried AsRock before ? I have no idea if this brand is any good since I have never used them. I only know of Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and the likes.

Anyone know of another brand that makes boards with Storage in mind like AsRock ?3

- Amazon <-- Out Of Stock

- NewEgg <-- Out Of Stock

Thanks ;)

~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

why do you need that many sata ports...

if youre building a storage server buy a PCIe storage controller with 24 or 36 ports or whatever you need

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if youre building a storage server buy a PCIe storage controller with 24 or 36 ports or whatever you need

Ding ding ding.. This.

Or get 6 / 10 TB hard drives...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I cannot afford a thing like that, I ain't Linus ya know. I prefer Internal drives. Else I wouldn't have posted this. I currently have 13 drives I need to put in and have 8 SATAs on my current board. I just need 14 to 18 SATAs and I will be good for another couple of years. 

I might build something better in 3 years when I have saved enough. As for drives, I will get 2x6tb once I got board, for now I just need a board for my current config is all.

~ My Current Build ~

| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

well i mean MAYBE he needs 24 10TB drives?

240TB?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well i mean MAYBE he needs 24 10TB drives?

240TB?

Guys, if I could afford that kind of build I wouldn't have posted here. Please keep in mind that all I got is $500 to my name... I work as a measly salesman... Barely make ends meat... So please stop suggesting outrageous configs. I just wish I was Linus to get what you suggesting... 

Be serious...

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

I cannot afford a thing like that, I ain't Linus ya know. I prefer Internal drives. Else I wouldn't have posted this. I currently have 13 drives I need to put in and have 8 SATAs on my current board. I just need 14 to 18 SATAs and I will be good for another couple of years. 

I might build something better in 3 years when I have saved enough. As for drives, I will get 2x6tb once I got board, for now I just need a board for my current config is all.

A decent sata controller will cost as much as that motherboard

and PCIe storage controllers are for internal drives

I have no idea where you got the "external" part from when i said PCIe

PCIe is inside your PC, not outside

either way, you should just buy a few large capacity drives and put all your data on those

im pretty sure the drives youre using are tiny 1TB or less if you have that many of them

download crystaldiskinfo and you probably have a bunch of your drives at critical health levels anyway that can die at any time

get rid of those asap

move their data to a new larger drive

a few high capacity drives will only cost a few hundred dollars

as much as that motherboard

and you wont need a PCIe controller

you will have less drives, more capacity, and no risk of losing your stuff which you probably do right now if your drives are in bad health

Spoiler

A decent sata controller will cost as much as that motherboard

and PCIe storage controllers are for internal drives

I have no idea where you got the "external" part from when i said PCIe

PCIe is inside your PC, not outside

either way, you should just buy a few large capacity drives and put all your data on those

im pretty sure the drives youre using are tiny 1TB or less if you have that many of them

download crystaldiskinfo and you probably have a bunch of your drives at critical health levels anyway that can die at any time

get rid of those asap

move their data to a new larger drive

a few high capacity drives will only cost a few hundred dollars

as much as that motherboard

and you wont need a PCIe controller

I get what you are saying, but my drives are in great shape, only one is dying. Also yes as you said 1tb or less. Only 2x4TB I have for movies n TV Shows, I just need 2x6TB and I will be good to go.. Not yet that crazy. What I got is good enough. and drives ain't cheap here. 4TB cost me $200/drive...

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

I get what you are saying, but my drives are in great shape, only one is dying. Also yes as you said 1tb or less. Only 2x4TB I have for movies n TV Shows, I just need 2x6TB and I will be good to go.. Not yet that crazy. What I got is good enough. and drives ain't cheap here. 4TB cost me $200/drive...

ok then

with your $500 buy two more 4TB drives

then move all the stuff from the small drives onto those two

if you were using 1TB drives, you just reduced your sata port use from 8 to 2 while keeping the same capacity

if your drives are even smaller than 1TB then youre going to save even more sata ports

youre not going to save any money by buying a motherboard with 20 sata ports then buying 8 1TB drives

might as well buy two 4TB drives for the same price and save the cost of a the motherboard

Spoiler

ok then

with your $500 buy two more 4TB drives

then move all the stuff from the small drives onto those two

if you were using 1TB drives, you just reduced your sata port use from 8 to 2 while keeping the same capacity

if your drives are even smaller than 1TB then youre going to save even more sata ports

youre not going to save any money by buying a motherboard with 20 sata ports then buying 8 1TB drives

might as well buy two 4TB drives for the same price and save the cost of a the motherboard

Yep I know. Your suggestion is best one yet. Since that way I will also keep my Windows 10 activated. Buying a new board will make me buy another license for Windows.

The reason I wanted the board is that I didn't want to lose any drives, just gain. I currently use one drive/item. Like Documents are on a separate drive, games on another, movies on another, TV Shows on another etc

Still what you suggested is best solution for me..

Hmm... This requires more thinking [emoji5]

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Yep I know. Your suggestion is best one yet. Since that way I will also keep my Windows 10 activated. Buying a new board will make me buy another license for Windows.

The reason I wanted the board is that I didn't want to lose any drives, just gain. Still what you suggested is best solution for me..

there are non raid sata to pcie connnectors like this one you can use http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441001160&sr=1-3&keywords=SATA+6Gbps+2-Port+PCIe

more here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=SATA+6Gbps+2-Port+PCIe

then just start adding more until you use what you need.

Make sure you have enough pcie lanes and are not using it by another source.

there are non raid sata to pcie connnectors like this one you can use http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441001160&sr=1-3&keywords=SATA+6Gbps+2-Port+PCIe

more here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=SATA+6Gbps+2-Port+PCIe

then just start adding more until you use what you need.

Make sure you have enough pcie lanes and are not using it by another source.

That's exactly my issue. Using up almost all PCie lanes no space for more..

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

That's exactly my issue. Using up almost all PCie lanes no space for more..

Hm. Here's the deal: go for the suggestion of getting 4TB drives.

"But I want to keep my old ones!".

Just use them as backups, and store them on a different location, to prevent physical disaster. Once a month, swap out some of the current drives and pop in the backups to be updated.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Hm. Here's the deal: go for the suggestion of getting 4TB drives.

"But I want to keep my old ones!".

Just use them as backups, and store them on a different location, to prevent physical disaster. Once a month, swap out some of the current drives and pop in the backups to be updated.

That's exactly what am doing now. Have 6 drives in my drawer swapping when needed. Not what I need. Trying to get away from that.

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

External = No go for me. Had my fair share of issues... Lost too many..

that's all I know about maybe some other guys can help you then good luck

The reason I wanted the board is that I didn't want to lose any drives, just gain. I currently use one drive/item. Like Documents are on a separate drive, games on another, movies on another, TV Shows on another etc

Still what you suggested is best solution for me..

if you want individual drives, buy some 4TB ones and partition them

that way it will look like you have a bunch of drives while still only using one sata port

and you can make as many partitions of whatever size you want :)

Spoiler

That's exactly what am doing now. Have 6 drives in my drawer swapping when needed. Not what I need. Trying to get away from that.

OKay... I'll have to bring in the ghetto solution. Here's what you"ll need to buy:

1. First, get a bunch of external adapters, Sata to USB.
  2. Then, you buy a USB 3.0 header like this one. You don't actually need the 3.5 bay, you'll just use the internal circuit + cable.

Hook your HDs to the external adapters, hook the adapters to the bay, connect it to the mobo, and tuck it all within your case. THERE. BE HAPPY NOW.

if you want individual drives, buy some 4TB ones and partition them

that way it will look like you have a bunch of drives while still only using one sata port

and you can make as many partitions of whatever size you want :)

Could be done. Not a bad idea. Like I said needs more thinking... Thanks.

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Then just get some new higher capacity drives and you wont need as many?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Could be done. Not a bad idea. Like I said needs more thinking... Thanks.

What is there to think about? You have 500 dollars and a stupid drive configuration while pirating too many movies and tv shows. Either buy a pcie Sara controller or Buy 2 more 4TB drives and then partition it to your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-STBD6000100/dp/B00JBJ34WC

There, 160 dollars per drive, with 500 you can buy 3 of them.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What is there to think about? You have 500 dollars and a stupid drive configuration while pirating too many movies and tv shows. Either buy a pcie Sara controller or Buy 2 more 4TB drives and then partition it to your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-STBD6000100/dp/B00JBJ34WC

There, 160 dollars per drive, with 500 you can buy 3 of them.

Pirating? No man I rip my own BDs and backup my Steam library. Who said anything about piracy?

And can't order online I don't like nor got a bank account. Cash for life!

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Pirating? No man I rip my own BDs and backup my Steam library. Who said anything about piracy?

And can't order online I don't like nor got a bank account. Cash for life!

.....what. Are you sure you're a salaryman? I can't think of any business that pays in cash....and what kind of adult doesn't own a credit card? It sounds like you're a teen or a kid.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit