Finally found a way to disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10

Matrix Leader
As you know, Windows 10 ignores the fact that you set the option in the device installation tab to never install drivers from Windows updates, no registry tweak or group policy rule works. The moment you connect to the internet, it will update every driver it can if it finds an update even if it's not an OEM approved driver which may or may not cause a lot of headaches..

So this time, I formatted and installed Windows 10 but before connecting to the internet, I installed all the latest driver from my motherboard download site + latest GeForce drivers + latest Audio Drivers form Creative for my Sound Blaster Zx, etc....

Then I ran O&O ShutUp10 to disable telemetry, Windows Feedback, WiFi sense, and all the other rubbish. I also chose to never install drivers from Windows updates just to see if it works for the heck of it.......

After rebooting once, you will notice that one of the Telemetry disabling settings needs to be re-selected.....so I did that and rebooted yet again

now I connected to the internet and ran Windows Updates. Normally, Windows updates will start downloading and update for my Creative SoundBlaster Zx Sound Card, updates for my Microsoft HD Lifecam 3000 and an update for my Western Digital My Passport external 2TB HDD. This time it didn't! All it downloaded were a few Windows updates and that's it. Rebooted, checked for updates again, nada! No driver updates :)

Just wanted to share this with you guys:

n5pqvn.jpg

Clevo P870DM-G Laptop - Intel Skylake i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + Advanced Copper Cooling Heatsink | 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM | 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI | Sound Blaster 3D Audio | 2 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0) + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0) | Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0 | 17.3" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Type with G-SYNC Technology | Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse | 660W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro

YAY the 1% us techies can be satisfied

however, the the general public needs auto updates.... 

Thanks. I plan on disabling a whole lot more than just driver updates!

Out of all the privacy programs I've tried, this is the only tool that is not a virus and actually works great with an easy to use UI. The extra stuff like disabling the automatic driver updates are just the topping on the cake

Clevo P870DM-G Laptop - Intel Skylake i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + Advanced Copper Cooling Heatsink | 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM | 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI | Sound Blaster 3D Audio | 2 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0) + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0) | Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0 | 17.3" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Type with G-SYNC Technology | Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse | 660W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro

YAY the 1% us techies can be satisfied

however, the the general public needs auto updates.... 

Auto updates are fine and I didn't disable those, what I'm talking is you setup your system the way you want, install the latest drivers from the OEMs like from your motherboard or laptop site, VGA, Sound , etc. Then Windows updates automatically updates your drivers which a lot of times leads to touchpads not working, crackling audio, or other problems. This was my biggest gripe about Windows 10 is that even if you disable automatic driver updates from the device installation settings under the SYSTEM Properties,  Windows updates ignores that and still updates the drivers. With this tool you can have drivers not included in the Windows updates yet still receive the other Windows updates.

Auto updates are fine and I didn't disable those, what I'm talking is you setup your system the way you want, install the latest drivers from the OEMs like from your motherboard or laptop site, VGA, Sound , etc. Then Windows updates automatically updates your drivers which a lot of times leads to touchpads not working, crackling audio, or other problems. This was my biggest gripe about Windows 10 is that even if you disable automatic driver updates from the device installation settings under the SYSTEM Properties,  Windows updates ignores that and still updates the drivers. With this tool you can have drivers not included in the Windows updates yet still receive the other Windows updates.

oh ok xD

i did have a problem with one of my friends wifi not working, it was an optinal update for wifi dr

I found out which registry entry it adds to achieve this if you wanna do it yourself:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

Now rename the extension from .txt to .reg then double click on it to merge it with your registry

Restart your computer

Hey. Thanks for the tip. I already had a good chunk disabled, but the one that slipped by me was "Transmission of Typing Information."

I disabled that one quick.

Thanks.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

Winaero tweaker was able to do that a long time ago... I never had that "issue" of automatic updates.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Is this O&O a reputable thing? About to do reinstall of windows and would like to try this out.