Poor quality of recent Linus Tech Tips channel videos

Ironbuket

So yeah I think everyone attacking OP is being a fanboy. Hell, a lot of people even agree that the quality has gotten worse but still attack OP for voicing his concerns.

If you agree that the quality has gotten worse (seriously... You'd have to be blind to deny that) but think it is alright considering their position (they have A LOT to do right now, besides making videos) then say that.

Say something like "yeah the quality has gotten worse but once the new set is done they should be as good or better again". Don't just furiously attack someone you actually agree with, just because they aren't kissing Linus' ass.

So yeah I think everyone attacking OP is being a fanboy. Hell, a lot of people even agree that the quality has gotten worse but still attack OP for voicing his concerns.

If you agree that the quality has gotten worse (seriously... You'd have to be blind to deny that) but think it is alright considering their position (they have A LOT to do right now, besides making videos) then say that.

Say something like "yeah the quality has gotten worse but once the new set is done they should be as good or better again". Don't just furiously attack someone you actually agree with, just because they aren't kissing Linus' ass.

Well said

Canadian Top Gear fan, tech lover and cyclist :P  Build: A10 7870k-Gigabyte FM2A68HM-HD2- G.Skill 2133Mhz 2x4gb- Cooler Master Elite 335-Antec Earthwatts 500w 80+ Bronze

#RIPTopGear :(

No they don't. The only ones who made the decision to release 1 video a day were themselves. If someone was forcing them to do it then yeah, it would be an excuse for a drop in quality, but nobody is doing that.

They made the decision to release 1 video a day and right now it doesn't seem like they can keep the same quality up while doing so.

Which one would cause more disturbance in LTT audience, missing daily video upload or keeping current quality of videos? I would say that drop in quality is ok as long as its only temporary thing. This isn't first time they've had issues with quality (several cases in past). They've always raised back to own level, usually with flashy build guide or some other way to show off their actual skills.

The channel is proud of not having missed a daily upload since 2 years ago? There have been late uploads due various reasons. But if they would climb back to quality level and have only 2-4 videos per week, a literal shitstorm and massive unsubscribing would emerge.

The G29 video was first after move video that was called for lack of quality in terms of graphical presentation. Balls to the wall rig was video that also was called out as lack of quality, this time cause lack of content. And between there was bunch of vlogs which are by nature not in normal level of quality, nor in content of graphical presentation. And those were highly appreciated.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Really? This is what you're complaining about, knowing they're in a state of transition? 

They're doing their best to continue bringing us content on a regular basis. We should be grateful they are keeping that up right now. Also, who cares what the video looks like and if the audio is perfectly sync'd or not? I don't watch their videos for those reasons, i watch for the content - you know, the actual information presented, the important stuff. ;)

I don't understand where this sense of entitlement comes from with some of you people. They're working hard to bring us FREE content/information for us to learn from and enjoy and you complain about petty little things like this (things which they can't help with construction taking place around them) as if you deserve better from them? 

Have a little more respect and gratitude. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Also the Best Buy partnership didn't make sense, not everyone is from Canada/US.

Things like Lynda,Squarespace or Massdrop can be used by everyone all over the world.

i mean does the ad spot matter much its a relevant place a tech store there giving him money to make the video and gave him the laptops to test out but i dont think any of them were best buy specific models so you can go on many sites or to many places and probably pick them up  in other stores which i would personally not just go to bestbuy first and buy it at least see if other places are cheaper and im sure best buy wouldn't do this if they didnt think linus had enough viewers in the areas they sell items aswell 

Oh no, they're moving and need to make time to make sure the videos are absolutely spotless.

The entitlement here..

Entitlement? No one owes LMG their views or adulation. I'd cut them slack on the obvious work being done on the building that they have to film in, but I think most of the other complaints are pretty level headed. I do think that the videos need to be watched once before upload, I've noticed some very glaring mistakes that could easily have been caught just by watching it just once. I don't think it makes sense to prioritise sheer volume of videos over making sure the videos that you are producing are worth it.

I want to add, as well, that there's some level of amateurism you can accept when the video is free (even though LMG seeks to be far from amateur), but very soon YouTube is going to accept monetary subscription in place of ads. I think when people who take this route in place of ad block start to consider channels as being places their money is actively going to, rather than just free entertainment, peoples sense of "entitlement" as you put it will increase sharply.

I guess you have a point, but they are moving.

Honestly I dont mind the quality, its just I get bored by the current videos..

I liked their old ones much more

I want to blame Berkel for everything negative at LMG.  I am convinced that his tank tops and overly tight tshirts are the cause of all this.

I honestly don't understand why some of you people are here if you complain about things like Linus' voice, and Luke's hair...

It's free for you to see, they are moving and are surely aware of a quality drop, and it's free for you to see (yes I know its twice)

so stfu or watch something else

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

i mean does the ad spot matter much its a relevant place a tech store there giving him money to make the video and gave him the laptops to test out but i dont think any of them were best buy specific models so you can go on many sites or to many places and probably pick them up  in other stores which i would personally not just go to bestbuy first and buy it at least see if other places are cheaper and im sure best buy wouldn't do this if they didnt think linus had enough viewers in the areas they sell items aswell 

The BestBuy laptop thing is the first time I have noticed that their sponsor have had a direct impact on the content (and quality) of the video.

They were only allowed to choose from laptops available at BestBuy, which is probably why he didn't mention any of the students discounts you can get if you buy from Apple or Microsoft directly. He didn't mention any laptops that are good to buy second hand or refurbished either (like a lot of the business lines like ThinkPads, or Elitebooks).

So personally I'd say that the information in the video is lacking because the sponsor wouldn't be happy if Linus told his audience that you could probably get things cheaper if they cut out the middle man (BestBuy).

But I don't think the video was that great to begin with. Who would recommend a 1500 dollar "gaming laptop" with RGB lit keyboard and crap like that to a college student? Price and battery life are often top priorities. Not how many colors the backlit keyboard can display...

Sorry for the off-topic stuff.

The BestBuy laptop thing is the first time I have noticed that their sponsor have had a direct impact on the content (and quality) of the video.

They were only allowed to choose from laptops available at BestBuy, which is probably why he didn't mention any of the students discounts you can get if you buy from Apple or Microsoft directly. He didn't mention any laptops that are good to buy second hand or refurbished either (like a lot of the business lines like ThinkPads, or Elitebooks).

So personally I'd say that the information in the video is lacking because the sponsor wouldn't be happy if Linus told his audience that you could probably get things cheaper if they cut out the middle man (BestBuy).

But I don't think the video was that great to begin with. Who would recommend a 1500 dollar "gaming laptop" with RGB lit keyboard and crap like that to a college student? Price and battery life are often top priorities. Not how many colors the backlit keyboard can display...

Sorry for the off-topic stuff.

Why would Linus mention buying things second hand? He never does in any other of his videos because it's pretty much common knowledge if you wait a year or two you can get things massively discounted...

As for the content, and the only items available being ones available at BestBuy, he was able to choose whichever laptops he wanted, not the ones BestBuy wanted to sell specifically, so it's really no different than when he was at NCIX doing techtips for things they sold.

Realistically, if this is geared at college/university students who are buying laptops, most of them are going to go to bestbuy another big box store anyways, so I find this video to be perfectly focussed; even if it is sponsored by BB featuring BB products...

Also, as a University student, I spent $1800 on my gaming laptop. Battery life and price be damned, gaming still needed to be a priority!

I think he chose a gaming laptop because, let's be realistic, anyone watching LTT is more likely than not into gaming or tech and would entertain the option of a gaming-capable laptop

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

Current System Specs:

Why would Linus mention buying things second hand? He never does in any other of his videos because it's pretty much common knowledge if you wait a year or two you can get things massively discounted...

When you make a video about "this is the best I think you can get for XXXX dollars" then I think mentioning a few options that could be good second hand is appropriate. Most of his videos aren't lists of those things though so in other videos it would feel out of place.

As for the content, and the only items available being ones available at BestBuy, he was able to choose whichever laptops he wanted, not the ones BestBuy wanted to sell specifically, so it's really no different than when he was at NCIX doing techtips for things they sold.

Of course it's different, because when he did NCIX videos he didn't go "this is the best you can get for 1000 dollars as a student" and then the competing store has the same item for far cheaper. I think the discount Microsoft has on the Surface ranges from ~100 dollars to ~300 dollars. Don't you think it's bad to tell your audience to pay up to 300 dollars more than they actually need to pay? Just because your sponsor wants to pocket the different for themselves.

Realistically, if this is geared at college/university students who are buying laptops, most of them are going to go to bestbuy another big box store anyways, so I find this video to be perfectly focussed; even if it is sponsored by BB featuring BB products...

I don't see how that makes any of my issues any less valid. Are you trying to justify his actions by saying that most people wouldn't take advantage of those student discounts anyway? That just means you think it is okay to make an "educational" video but then leave out information which would help people save money.

The BestCollege Laptop video was basically a 7 and a half minute long ad for BestBuy. It wasn't about the best choices for college students at all, despite what the title of the video tries to claim.

It would be nice if my life was that easy. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes/day reading comments on a normal day.

Making time in your busy editing schedule for 5 minutes is difficult enough. More people should appreciate the LMG staffs' hard work and motivation. 

Thank you, Nick.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Making time in your busy editing schedule for 5 minutes is difficult enough. More people should appreciate the LMG staffs' hard work and motivation. 

Thank you, Nick.

I'm not the editing Nick. But thanks!

It would be nice if my life was that easy. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes/day reading comments on a normal day.

So you don't give a shit about consumer feedback? 

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Where it says that? All I can see that @nicklmg has too many other things to do than reading comments. If you see that same as not caring about viewer feedback...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm sure they'll be happy to issue you with a refund for the inconvenience caused.

What an aggressive comment.

I'm not in charge of making videos, therefore I don't read comments and plan out videos all day. I do my own job, and those that make videos do theirs.

Some people, man...

well....

to be able to do something with the feedback there need to be video's, for the videos to be there they need to write, script, shoot, reshoot, edit, check re-edit, render and upload.

so yeah they got more then enough time to read comments at work. /s

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

What an aggressive comment.

I'm not in charge of making videos, therefore I don't read comments and plan out videos all day. I do my own job, and those that make videos do theirs.

Some people, man...

Ya I'm sry, there was supposed to be a "Lemme be that guy for a sec:" before the actual comment, donno where that went ^^'

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Man this thread was hard to read through, ugh. While the lesser technical quality and random oopsies in the videos is something I'm not that bothered by and can just put under the moving rush thing, the steadily decreasing amount of actual useful information in videos is something I've been more concerned about. Lately I've been watching far more videos from other tech channels for actual information and most LTT vids I have watched are older ones. I can't go into more detail as I'm writing this at 3 AM from a tablet but I wanted to voice my opinion and concern.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i