Reuse microUSB cable?

aeroencychris

Hi,

For lack of a better section, I'm going to put this thread here, since it's technically a "mod". Anyways, I have a rather nice, long microUSB cable for my phone I picked up from Amazon. The microUSB end soon broke, though, and is now not usable. Would it be possible to cut off the broken end, buy a new microUSB connector, and solder it on, or is that plan just too crazy/hard? I'd really like to reuse this cable, it's really long and braided with a nice design.

Thanks,

-Chris

Hi,

For lack of a better section, I'm going to put this thread here, since it's technically a "mod". Anyways, I have a rather nice, long microUSB cable for my phone I picked up from Amazon. The microUSB end soon broke, though, and is now not usable. Would it be possible to cut off the broken end, buy a new microUSB connector, and solder it on, or is that plan just too crazy/hard? I'd really like to reuse this cable, it's really long and braided with a nice design.

Thanks,

-Chris

I'm sure if you had another Micro USB cable you could trim the end off of that a few inches from the termination and simply solder the two working halves of the cable together, making sure to match the cable colors. :)

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Easy. Depending on your soldering skills. I would repurpose an old, shorter, USB cable of the same gauge wire though. I've soldered several switches in-line of a microUSB cable for use with a Rapsberry Pi with much success. The cable was still able to push 2.4A through it after all was said and done.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Hi,

Thanks,

-Chris

just buy a new one. Lol I mean you could do it if you wanted, but it would break again.

just buy a new one. Lol I mean you could do it if you wanted, but it would break again.

It was the actual metal part of the connector that bent, so soldering a new one wouldn't make it any less secure in that case.

Easy. Depending on your soldering skills. I would repurpose an old, shorter, USB cable of the same gauge wire though. I've soldered several switches in-line of a microUSB cable for use with a Rapsberry Pi with much success. The cable was still able to push 2.4A through it after all was said and done.

I've had some scary experiences with small wires, would they be big enough to actually work with?

I'll be honest, it can be a pain in the ass. I've got a set of helping hands with a magnifying glass (and 80mm fan modded on to blow fumes away) to hold the wires for me. It has helped significantly.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I've had some scary experiences with small wires, would they be big enough to actually work with?

Do you think it's better to buy their connector rather than using an old one and soldering the two together?

It would give a cleaner looks especially if your going to sleeving and everything, the premium hand sleeved cables use those types of snap together cases and solder on connectors. As for the wires sizes they are usually 28AWG so fairly thin stranded wire.

• 5 months later...
On 8/25/2015 at 6:36 PM, cdsboy2000 said:

Hi,

Thanks,

-Chris

Here's some plugs they seem to be pretty easy to solder on, but I'm not sure how well the build quality is. They are pretty cheap for a crap ton of them so I'd give it a shot. Here's the link to them.?. http://www.dx.com/p/diy-90-degree-angle-micro-usb-male-plug-adapters-black-10-pcs-363228?tc=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9uzn1loB00yRTWkglij4bB0b4CV-p4aidtewdxWKw1BoCMLDw_wcB#.Vq8K8HNOnqA

sku_363228_1.jpg

11 hours ago, RebelSam said:

Here's some plugs they seem to be pretty easy to solder on, but I'm not sure how well the build quality is. They are pretty cheap for a crap ton of them so I'd give it a shot. Here's the link to them.?. http://www.dx.com/p/diy-90-degree-angle-micro-usb-male-plug-adapters-black-10-pcs-363228?tc=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9uzn1loB00yRTWkglij4bB0b4CV-p4aidtewdxWKw1BoCMLDw_wcB#.Vq8K8HNOnqA

sku_363228_1.jpg

I've already gotten rid of that cable from long ago but thanks for the help :)

Sure is possible. Use electrical tape to cover it, it doesn't have to be the neatest or strongest for that matter unless it is gonna be moved/used a lot.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz