Does a graphics card use any power when no monitor's plugged in?

Tiger
Go to solution Solved by Snooli,

You are not saving any energy after all. Since you might need to restart the PC, eating more energy that you would save in a session.

Btw we are talking about 100 watts at most. That is absolitely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Hi, at night when I'm typing I like having my system be as quite as it can be. 

It seems that my new PSU will remain in fanless mode only until power output reach 50watts.

This is really low and I'm just wondering if nothing's plugged into the external GPU and no program's using it but it's still plugged into the PCI-e slot, does it use much power?

All graphics during my "low power mode" will be done by the integrated graphics but I don't want to unplug the External GPU all the time.

The Intel Extreme Tuning utility reports that when I "surf the web" the CPU have "Package TDP" of about 15W, "Core tdp" of 10w and "Graphics TDP" of 0W when running all graphics off the iGP with no external GPU plugged in.

I have an EVGA GTX 960 SSC with i5 4460 but right now my old power supply is broken and the one I borrowed from a friend does not have 8 pin PCI-e. I've ordered a new PSU(Silverstone SX500-LG but while waiting, I wanted to find a solution that would result in long lasting quiet coding sessions at night for the future ahead.

Other things consuming power from the PSU is ADATA SP900 SSD 128GB, Seagate Momentus XT 2.5" HDD 750GB, intel stock cooler(lowest fan speed of 900RPM with temp of about 40 degrees), 2x Case fan(set to 20% which does not spin), and finally a short(0.5M) LED strip.

Hi, at night when I'm typing I like having my system be as quite as it can be. 

It seems that my new PSU will remain in fanless mode only until power output reach 50watts.

This is really low and I'm just wondering if nothing's plugged into the external GPU and no program's using it but it's still plugged into the PCI-e slot, does it use much power?

All graphics during my "low power mode" will be done by the integrated graphics but I don't want to unplug the External GPU all the time.

The Intel Extreme Tuning utility reports that when I "surf the web" the CPU have "Package TDP" of about 15W, "Core tdp" of 10w and "Graphics TDP" of 0W when running all graphics off the iGP with no external GPU plugged in.

I have an EVGA GTX 960 SSC with i5 4460 gpu but right now my old power supply is broken and the one I borrowed from a friend does not have 8 pin PCI-e. I've ordered a new PSU(Silverstone SX500-LG but while waiting, I wanted to find a solution that would result in long lasting quiet coding sessions at night for the future ahead.

Other things consuming power from the PSU is ADATA SP900 SSD 128GB, Seagate Momentus XT 2.5" HDD 750GB, intel stock cooler(lowest fan speed of 900RPM with temp of about 40 degrees), 2x Case fan(set to 20% which does not spin), and finally a short(0.5M) LED strip.

it will use power,  yes because it will still be rendering frames, and completing tasks.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

The Corsair RMi Series PSUs dont spin till like 40% Load I wanna say... Could be an option....

But yes they will still use some power...

You don't have to disconnect your Discrete graphics card. You should be able to switch between both graphics solutions from within your OS. When there is no monitor connected, the GPU (i believe the 960 has this feature) will go into efficiency mode and the fans would stop spinning.

15 4670K, Hyper TX3 Evo, MSI - Z97 GD-65, GTX 750ti, 8Gb Ripjaws G.Skill, Graphite 230T

YOU WHAT M9?! MY GPU IS BEAST

Yes, obviously.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

if nothing else, you can disable PCIe devices in windows. That will be just like removing the card alltogether. (just wont work until you enable it) You can even keep monitor cable conneted to it.

yea, thanks guys but how much is "still use some power"?

Would you think the total usage will exceed 50w at idle?

Thanks for all the answers so far! keep them coming!!

You don't have to disconnect your Discrete graphics card. You should be able to switch between both graphics solutions from within your OS. When there is no monitor connected, the GPU (i believe the 960 has this feature) will go into efficiency mode and the fans would stop spinning.

Well. My GPU fan doesn't spin when there's low workload but it's still using enough power to trigger my PSU's fan. I just want it to be completely off and use the more efficient integrated one altogether for a period of time at night.

if nothing else, you can disable PCIe devices in windows. That will be just like removing the card alltogether. (just wont work until you enable it) You can even keep monitor cable conneted to it.

Yes, I've tried that and it seems to be off. I don't believe that it's using virtually no power though. I may need a power meter to verify that.

it will use power,  yes because it will still be rendering frames, and completing tasks.

What frames? No tasks assign to it by me anyways.. no folding at home, nothing. Just a chrome browser and even then, my monitor is not plugged into the GPU but rather the motherboard. Am I wrong?(corrrect me please) Thanks

What frames? No tasks assign to it by me anyways.. no folding at home, nothing. Just a chrome browser and even then, my monitor is not plugged into the GPU but rather the motherboard. Am I wrong?(corrrect me please) Thanks

say your computer is on the desktop, and you unplug your monitor, your pc still renders those frames, even tho your monitor is not plugged in

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Renders at what resolution?

I don't believe this is true.

im not completely sure what resolution, i watch some video on it a while back. 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Yes, I've tried that and it seems to be off. I don't believe that it's using virtually no power though. I may need a power meter to verify that.

Does it matter if it draws any power? Try it and see if the PSU fan spins.

Does it matter if it draws any power? Try it and see if the PSU fan spins.

Well i guess not but saving power is good for the world lol.

also the said semi fanless psu dont arrive til september 10

You are not saving any energy after all. Since you might need to restart the PC, eating more energy that you would save in a session.

Btw we are talking about 100 watts at most. That is absolitely nothing in the grand scheme of things.