i7-4790K or i7-6700K - Upgrading System

I need your advice with a decision that I am very unsure about. 

I currently have an i5-2320 clocked at 3.0Ghz and would like to upgrade but I'm not sure if I should go with 6th Gen or 4th Gen, Money is not the easiest thing to get hold of so please don't suggest an extreme CPU. 

I want to upgrade to an i7-4790K (Socket 1150) or i7-6700K (Socket 1151) but I'm not sure as to what would be better, to upgrade to either of these I would need to purchase a new motherboard because the motherboard I have currently supports CPU's under the 1155 socket. I currently have 12GB of DDR3 Memory and understand that the i7-6700K only supports DDR4. I will be using this system for moderate-heavy gaming and large amounts of flight simulation which runs intensively on the CPU so it will be water cooled disregarding the choice I make. I currently have a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB so graphics isn't much of a problem at this stage. Thoughts and any suggestions would be great :).

My first question is how far do you want to carry this. z97 is a dead end (lga 1150) There will be no chips past the 4790k. after that Take your pick. I feel I have made my opinion clear.

I was leading more towards the i7-6700K but I'm looking for other peoples opinions just to make sure I'm not making an "incorrect choice"

Could get a 5820k.

I knew there would be one person who didn't read my post fully. 

I currently have an i5-2320 clocked at 3.0Ghz and would like to upgrade but I'm not sure if I should go with 6th Gen or 4th Gen, Money is not the easiest thing to get hold of so please don't suggest an extreme CPU. 

I want to upgrade to an i7-4790K (Socket 1150) or i7-6700K (Socket 1151) but I'm not sure as to what would be better, to upgrade to either of these I would need to purchase a new motherboard because the motherboard I have currently supports CPU's under the 1155 socket. I currently have 12GB of DDR3 Memory and understand that the i7-6700K only supports DDR4. I will be using this system for moderate-heavy gaming and large amounts of flight simulation which runs intensively on the CPU so it will be water cooled disregarding the choice I make. I currently have a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB so graphics isn't much of a problem at this stage. Thoughts and any suggestions would be great :).

The thing is at the Price point of the mainstream i7K series CPU you can pickup an X99 Rig at the same cost (+/- 50 quid), so either go i5 mainstream or 5820K....

The thing is at the Price point of the mainstream i7K series CPU you can pickup an X99 Rig at the same cost (+/- 50 quid), so either go i5 mainstream or 5820K....

Compared to both of the CPU's provided how much more power would I get out of an X99 Rig?

okay I'm not condemminglga 1151. While x99 destroys it in every performance benchmark. I'm looking at that single core optimised performance, and the rumour that skylake is actually capable of applying more than one core for a single core optimised problem.

It's a nice toy, and I hope intel can keep pushing new features, but for my money the 5960x is still the top of the pile.

i7-5820k > i7-6700k > i7-4790k

Go for the X99 it's better. As for performance, well you can easily OC it to around 4,5 gHz, and you get 2 more cores / 4 more threads with this CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Go for the X99 it's better. As for performance, well you can easily OC it to around 4,5 gHz, and you get 2 more cores / 4 more threads with this CPU.

Is anyone able to provide me a link to a cheap-ish motherboard and CPU for an X99 build in Australian Dollars.

Easily, to 4,5GHz? Well when you are on a custom loop maybe. Most 5820k produce so much heat its not coolable on air above 4.2GHz

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Just a point no one has pointed out yet. while a top of the line 5960x is capable of a 50% overclock with 90% of cases, did anyone write an article on what the OC was per core?

I was one of those unlucky few that didn't get a 5960x that was capable of a 4.5GHz OC... I still have two cores I consider golden. At 1.25V I have one core that is capable of 5.9 GHz, and one that is capable of 5.4GHz....

Those dumbasses touting single core performance never actually looked at what an x99 rig was capable of when we actually shut down cores, they just took the overall benchmark as gospel.

Skylake is a brilliant rig, but I haven't seen any evidence of OC compatibility that even comes close to x99. I'll hold judgement till I see some benchmarks I trust.

Easily, to 4,5GHz? Well when you are on a custom loop maybe. Most 5820k produce so much heat its not coolable on air above 4.2GHz

He said he's going to watercool anyway. Read the post please.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Compared to both of the CPU's provided how much more power would I get out of an X99 Rig?

2 more cores; so upto 50% in multithreaded benchmarks..

Is anyone able to provide me a link to a cheap-ish motherboard and CPU for an X99 build in Australian Dollars.

http://cplonline.com.au/msi-x99s-sli-krait-edition-motherboard.html

Good price.

EDIT: Just for reference I have a 5930K that I havent got around to properly overclocking yet; but I know mine does 4.4Ghz @ 1.225V which *should* be air-coolable

If you can afford it, go for the I7 6700K for ~10% more performance, USB 3.1 TypeC, and more PCIe lanes. If you want to save some money, go for the I7 4790K, you are not losing out on much.

You can get USB 3.1 on Haswell

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

The biggest problem with haswell is diskIO

He said he's going to watercool anyway. Read the post please.

watercool doesnt automatically mean custom loop, noob

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Only on higher end motherboards. Even the Z170-A has USB 3.1.

watercool doesnt automatically mean custom loop, noob

Goddammit some people are just hard to deal with.

Let me put it in a simpler way so even you understand: He should be able to easily achieve 4,3-4,5 with decent watercooling since I achieved a stable 4,4 on a Dark Rock Pro 3 air cooler with this CPU when overclocking my dad's PC. Even if he reached only 4,2 which is way too low the CPU is still better than the 6700k or the 4790k so I do not see the issue you're trying to show here.

Goddammit some people are just hard to deal with.

Let me put it in a simpler way so even you understand: He should be able to easily achieve 4,3-4,5 with decent watercooling since I achieved a stable 4,4 on a Dark Rock Pro 3 air cooler with this CPU when overclocking my dad's PC. Even if he reached only 4,2 which is way too low the CPU is still better than the 6700k or the 4790k so I do not see the issue you're trying to show here.

you can harakiri everything you want. Haswell-E above 1.25v is recommended to be watercooled with atleast 3x120fan setup radiator. The point is this chip is fucking hot and overclocking means nothing on it for gaming.

you can harakiri everything you want. Haswell-E above 1.25v is recommended to be watercooled with atleast 3x120fan setup radiator. The point is this chip is fucking hot and overclocking means nothing on it for gaming.

Wut? Mine doesnt go above 50C under load at 1.3V even...