i7-4790K or i7-6700K - Upgrading System

you can harakiri everything you want. Haswell-E above 1.25v is recommended to be watercooled with atleast 3x120fan setup radiator. The point is this chip is fucking hot and overclocking means nothing for gaming.

It is a hot chip I agree, it's not as hot as you might think. He will get 4,2-4,5 with a good watercooling anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Wut? Mine doesnt go above 50C under load at 1.3V even...

he probably never even seen one in his life but you know he knows best obviously...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Is anyone able to provide me a link to a cheap-ish motherboard and CPU for an X99 build in Australian Dollars.

And look at you now, looking for a mobo for a 5820k. My comment still stands, and no sass.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

he probably never even seen one in his life but you know he knows best obviously...

Just a second....

Too many options. 

You shouldn't even hesitate and get the 5820k if you only can afford it.

you can harakiri everything you want. Haswell-E above 1.25v is recommended to be watercooled with atleast 3x120fan setup radiator. The point is this chip is fucking hot and overclocking means nothing on it for gaming.

Now feel like an idiot?

Nia7a5G.png

Oh and a validation - Just so you can be sure I am not cheesing it...

NB: I do not usually run at these settings but I just put it on here to show.... - This is also with fans at 25%

http://valid.x86.fr/yr2z2g

Now feel like an idiot?

Nia7a5G.png

NB: I do not usually run at these settings but I just put it on here to show.... - This is also with fans at 25%

Me? I said that getting to the 4,4 gHz is not an issue with decent cooling, I put a PC together for my dad featuring a 5820k and a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler and I overclocked it to 4,4 gHz stable with decent temperatures. The DarkSmith2 claimed that the chip is 'so hot' only custom loop coolers can cool it well enough for this kind of overclocking. He probably have never even seen one of these chips in his life.

Me? I said that getting to the 4,4 gHz is not an issue with decent cooling, I put a PC together for my dad featuring a 5820k and a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler and I overclocked it to 4,4 gHz stable with decent temperatures. The DarkSmith2 claimed that the chip is 'so hot' only custom loop coolers can cool it well enough for this kind of overclocking. He probably have never even seen one of these chips in his life.

I meant DarkSmith2; just quoted the wrong post :).

I meant DarkSmith2; just quoted the wrong post :).

Ah okay that explains a lot, I was so confused at first :)

Ah okay that explains a lot, I was so confused at first :)

I really hate people saying they are uncoolable with air - My i7 950 had a similar draw (~225W TDP) under Overclock (1.4V) and I cooled it quite happily with a Noctua DH14

and i7 5960x is a 145W part....It is uncoolable with standard intel air coolers ( a part that is rated for 75W TDP)  There are many air coolers that are rated for this however, and a lot that can handle a full OC on the 5960x.....barely. While I would recommend at least an AIO for any OCed x99 part, it is possible on air.

Agree on the AIOs but a top end air cooler will do the job just as well (Read DH14/DH15 and anything comparable).

For the record I am indeed using a custom loop...

and i7 5960x is a 145W part....It is uncoolable with standard intel air coolers ( a part that is rated for 75W TDP)  There are many air coolers that are rated for this however, and a lot that can handle a full OC on the 5960x.....barely. While I would recommend at least an AIO for any OCed x99 part, it is possible on air.

I really hate people saying they are uncoolable with air - My i7 950 had a similar draw (~225W TDP) under Overclock (1.4V) and I cooled it quite happily with a Noctua DH14

Well I use a FX-8350 @ 4,5gHz with an air cooler SilentiumPC Grandis, it's a twin-tower, dual 120mm fan cooler. Doesn't exceed 55 degrees under full load. 120W TDP CPU =)

Well I use a FX-8350 @ 4,5gHz with an air cooler SilentiumPC Grandis, it's a twin-tower, dual 120mm fan cooler. Doesn't exceed 55 degrees under full load. 120W TDP CPU =)

5930Ks are 140W base; but TDP really goes up with voltage...

Now feel like an idiot?

Nia7a5G.png

no i dont feel like an idiot, but now i know you are an idiot. RUN SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY PRODUCE HEAT NOT CINEBENCH

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

no i dont feel like an idiot, but now i know you are an idiot. RUN SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY PRODUCE HEAT NOT CINEBENCH

I am not stability testing and CB is a pretty close to real world use temps (i.e. Compiling my ggame OR Video Encoding) - I am not going to spend half an hour running wPrime just for you to see a difference of a few C (That never apply in reality)

5930Ks are 140W base; but TDP really goes up with voltage...

I do know they're hotter, I'm just saying that it's not hard to cool down hot CPUs, you just need the tools to do that.

DWCE554.png

I do know they're hotter, I'm just saying that it's not hard to cool down hot CPUs, you just need the tools to do that.

DWCE554.png

Aye any decent air cooler (like you should be buying if you are gonna play with this class of chip) is adequate.

Actually just because I can:

Oh noes; 2C over what I said the real world max temps are.... zomg still not hot.. Even using 12 thread the temps dont go up much..

(MY Ambient temps currently are around 30C...)

7N9EmKo.png

Actually just because I can:

Oh noes; 2C over what I said the real world max temps are.... zomg still not hot.. Even using 12 thread the temps dont go up much..

7N9EmKo.png

for what you are doing there, this is fucking hot

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

cinebench is a cpu optimised benchmark...I forces the cpu to run a multicore workload at 100%....If you're trying to check heat buildup of your cpu the only thing better might be aida64.

for what you are doing there, this is fucking hot

Delta of 15-20C under 12 thread load (in wPrime) or around 10C in Cinebench? If you want I can break out the vapor phase or LN2...?

Anyway i am done arguing with someone who has probably never played with the Enthusiast class CPUs

cinebench is a cpu optimised benchmark...I forces the cpu to run a multicore workload at 100%....If you're trying to check heat buildup of your cpu the only thing better might be aida64.

I ran AIDA before; temps were pretty similar to Cinebench (+- 1C), only advantage is you can run it for longer - but that is outside the scope of this.

wPrime/Orthos etc will get it hotter - but you will never see those temps in real world use....

I ran AIDA before; temps were pretty similar to Cinebench (+- 1C), only advantage is you can run it for longer - but that is outside the scope of this.

wPrime/Orthos etc will get it hotter - but you will never see those temps in real world use....

yup, and I agree. A sustained benchmark at 100% will drive the temp up. I feel a 240mm+ AIO is perfect to reign in an x99 chip's heat generation. I also know that there are other options out there, so it's just a personal call.