24" or 27" 4K Monitor?

cisto1999

My monitor will be about 50cm away from my eyes.

Should i get a 24" or 27" 4K monitor to get a good "retina"-experience?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Definitely 27" unless there's desk or any other external limitations. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

27".

Yeah, that would be my opinion on it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Between 24 and 27 inch monitors, then I prefer 27 inches.

As for 4k resolution. I still don't get it (unless you're working with photo and video). I prefer the 2560x1440 resolution at 27 inches.

Not 24. The sweet spot for 4K is 31/32 inches.

JWolf Tech Broadcast

24inch! And here is why:
-> What many people don't understand is that it is like your smartphone. Higher resolution for the size doesn't make everything tiny, but rather (as the phone increases the DPI) make things sharper, yet smoother. Text is easier to read as you have more pixels to render each letter. Icons are more detailed. Camera pictures starts to fit better on your screen, etc. That also is why people go crazy for Apple retina display, despite the work area being identical (more or less) to a lower resolution of the same size screen. Now, you can control the DPI and balance work space size and things being smaller/bigger.

-> Current graphics card aren't too great at 4K with all games at high settings. Sure if you have a fancy 980Ti, or SLI/crossfire setup that can deliver, sure. But, as 1080p, is considered best in the 23/24inch screen size at 100% dpi, and ad 4K (UHD) is 4x 1080p, and the Dell monitor you are looking at has a really good interpolator, you can run your games at 1080p, and will look pretty darn good. Not as good for text like on your desktop, but should be very good in games, as a compromise.

The downside:
-> Many programs aren't high DPI aware. Windows is, especially Win10, Office 2013 is, Visual Studio 2015, and about anything new from Microsoft. FileZilla, latest Photoshop are as well, and others. But, Steam isn't, and many games aren't (the HUD might be too small if played at 4K 24/27/28 inch). Unsupported games should appear correctly, but small HUD and menus. But programs will be blurry as Windows takes the program, and scales it bigger like an image. It does post processing to make it look the best it can, but scales image is a scaled image. You can specify in the program compatibility options to not scale, and the program will appear small.

If you wonder how small it will be, the PPI of the display should be around the same as the Surface Pro line product (I dind't do the math, please verify). So go to a store, checkout the system, set the DPI to 100%, and you'll see how small more or less will be, and see if you can read and don't mind (keep in mind that under Win8/10 when you change the DPI, Windows will scale properly, and so are universal apps/modern ui apps, but desktop programs are in "preview mode", you need to restart the system, the device might restore setting back to default if you do.

24inch! And here is why:

-> What many people don't understand is that it is like your smartphone. Higher resolution for the size doesn't make everything tiny, but rather (as the phone increases the DPI) make things sharper, yet smoother. Text is easier to read as you have more pixels to render each letter. Icons are more detailed. Camera pictures starts to fit better on your screen, etc. That also is why people go crazy for Apple retina display, despite the work area being identical (more or less) to a lower resolution of the same size screen. Now, you can control the DPI and balance work space size and things being smaller/bigger.

-> Current graphics card aren't too great at 4K with all games at high settings. Sure if you have a fancy 980Ti, or SLI/crossfire setup that can deliver, sure. But, as 1080p, is considered best in the 23/24inch screen size at 100% dpi, and ad 4K (UHD) is 4x 1080p, and the Dell monitor you are looking at has a really good interpolator, you can run your games at 1080p, and will look pretty darn good. Not as good for text like on your desktop, but should be very good in games, as a compromise.

The downside:

-> Many programs aren't high DPI aware. Windows is, especially Win10, Office 2013 is, Visual Studio 2015, and about anything new from Microsoft. FileZilla, latest Photoshop are as well, and others. But, Steam isn't, and many games aren't (the HUD might be too small if played at 4K 24/27/28 inch). Unsupported games should appear correctly, but small HUD and menus. But programs will be blurry as Windows takes the program, and scales it bigger like an image. It does post processing to make it look the best it can, but scales image is a scaled image. You can specify in the program compatibility options to not scale, and the program will appear small.

If you wonder how small it will be, the PPI of the display should be around the same as the Surface Pro line product (I dind't do the math, please verify). So go to a store, checkout the system, set the DPI to 100%, and you'll see how small more or less will be, and see if you can read and don't mind (keep in mind that under Win8/10 when you change the DPI, Windows will scale properly, and so are universal apps/modern ui apps, but desktop programs are in "preview mode", you need to restart the system, the device might restore setting back to default if you do.

Can't say it any better!

I would like to add you should look into 27" 1440p monitors too

24inch! And here is why:

Your logic doesn't make sense.

I sit in front of a Acer Predator XB280HK right now. It's shit. The colours are awfull, the 60hz refresh is really laggy (even for a TN monitor with G-SYNC) and the way Nvidia automatically handles the scaling is weird and makes everything look blurry.

I prefer my Acer XB270HU all day over it, even for productivity is better, 1440P has been around for like 12 years, Apple launched their  2560x1600 display back in 2003.

Even Linus kinda ranted on it:

Also why the heck should somebody get a 4K monitor just to set their games at 1080P? Everything that is not native on a 4K monitor looks like shit, let alone if you have a big 4K TV, 1080P gameplay looks like a VHS tape. Strangely enough the difference between 1080P and 4K video is smaller then 1080P gameplay vs 4K gameplay.

Hope this helps  :D

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

The only monitor that is 4K (UHD), that is 24inch and 27inch is Dell. Dell is currently the only manufacture to my knowledge, who uses those panel, hence why it only one in those size (the rest are 28inch or 32inch). The Dell panels used are LG IPS panel 60Hz true 8-bit per channel. The colors are very nice (also color calibrated sRGB profile is made, with report, with a Delta E <= 2), the text is very sharp no matter how you look at it, and has excellent viewing angles.

With its aggressive pricing, and warranty, not to mention that Dell has an undeniable excellent reputation on making really good monitors, since its released, it caused other monitor manufacture to drop their prices significantly, and hence why now they all focus on "gaming", while Dell just gives you a monitor without "gaming" marketing around and let their product speak for themselves, as they always do, and in depth review sites conforms that the monitor delivers. Ignoring the budget monitors, of course, they rarely under deliver.

As for 'things looking like shit' re-read what I said. Yours look bad, because the interpolator chip isn't as good, and the monitor is too big for 1080p.

24inch 1080p on 4K, won't magically make is like a perfect genuine 1080p, due the the pixel grid thickness, but because the monitor is 24inch, it will not show as much and look pretty good. Enough to not notice it in games.

As for gaming at 1080p, first of all, it is not all games, unless you GPU is too weak for 4K gaming, and allows you to play them at 60fps at high quality settings. Yet you have more workspace for productivity work, and better text/icons/images over 1080p (if you can balance smallness and workspace... say 150% DPI, instead of 200%), if you can't you'll enjoy better visuals only.

Playing games at high setting 60fps at 1080p, is better than slide show speed at 4K... or minimum settings making this nice IPS display, pretty much worthless (I mean in terms of having the ability to enjoy the beautiful art work and art direction of the graphic artist, which pit great time and effort on this)

I should have mentioned, that i am not interested in gaming. I need the monitor for 3D-work in Blender. I probably will go with two 24" Dell 4K monitors.

Even for 3D work more screen real estate would still be beneficial, and others have said the 4K is more impressive on a bigger screen.

If you go with 24inch monitor (or even 27 one), this might be interesting to you to make Blender easier to use: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/27016/make-blender-usable-on-high-resolution-screen-on-windows

If you are unsure, I believe you can return the monitor to Dell, if you are not satisfied for free. Dell will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label that you can stick over the old shipping label with transparent box tape, and have call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up.

That is, if you order it from Dell, of course. Ask for full details, and how many days you have before purchasing, as it varies depending on which region you are.

The only monitor that is 4K (UHD), that is 24inch and 27inch is Dell. Dell is currently the only manufacture to my knowledge, who uses those panel, hence why it only one in those size (the rest are 28inch or 32inch). The Dell panels used are LG IPS panel 60Hz true 8-bit per channel. The colors are very nice (also color calibrated sRGB profile is made, with report, with a Delta E <= 2), the text is very sharp no matter how you look at it, and has excellent viewing angles.

With its aggressive pricing, and warranty, not to mention that Dell has an undeniable excellent reputation on making really good monitors, since its released, it caused other monitor manufacture to drop their prices significantly, and hence why now they all focus on "gaming", while Dell just gives you a monitor without "gaming" marketing around and let their product speak for themselves, as they always do, and in depth review sites conforms that the monitor delivers. Ignoring the budget monitors, of course, they rarely under deliver.

As for 'things looking like shit' re-read what I said. Yours look bad, because the interpolator chip isn't as good, and the monitor is too big for 1080p.

24inch 1080p on 4K, won't magically make is like a perfect genuine 1080p, due the the pixel grid thickness, but because the monitor is 24inch, it will not show as much and look pretty good. Enough to not notice it in games.

As for gaming at 1080p, first of all, it is not all games, unless you GPU is too weak for 4K gaming, and allows you to play them at 60fps at high quality settings. Yet you have more workspace for productivity work, and better text/icons/images over 1080p (if you can balance smallness and workspace... say 150% DPI, instead of 200%), if you can't you'll enjoy better visuals only.

Playing games at high setting 60fps at 1080p, is better than slide show speed at 4K... or minimum settings making this nice IPS display, pretty much worthless (I mean in terms of having the ability to enjoy the beautiful art work and art direction of the graphic artist, which pit great time and effort on this)

First, you are a Moderator with 10K posts, how come you didn't quote me :(

Second, do you have a 4K monitor or just speak out of youtube theory  ? 

Third, anyone buying a 4K monitor would have atleast a decent card, it's not like a 970 or 290/390 gets 10 fps in Witcher 3 at 4K, it gets a playable 30-40 and if you bump useless settings like foliage and shadows a bit down you could get even higher framerates.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I should have mentioned, that i am not interested in gaming. I need the monitor for 3D-work in Blender. I probably will go with two 24" Dell 4K monitors.

Well 4K productivity is even worse. Why do you think everyone at LMG uses ultrawide monitors and NOT 4K monitors? Even when they edit 4K FOOTAGE

So get yourself a 3440x1440 monitor, maybe even curved if you have some extra money to burn  :lol:

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Well 4K productivity is even worse. Why do you think everyone at LMG uses ultrawide monitors and NOT 4K monitors? Even when they edit 4K FOOTAGE

So get yourself a 3440x1440 monitor, maybe even curved if you have some extra money to burn  :lol:

Actually I'm pretty sure they are all using the LG 31MU97 at the new office. 

Not that it's at all relevant to this thread though.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

First, you are a Moderator with 10K posts, how come you didn't quote me :(

You are being quoted. You have have quotified. :P

I expect people to follow in some way the thread they participate in. The forum allows you to auto-follow threads when you reply or create, or if you want a manual approach, there is a button at the top of the page that you can click to follow your thread, called "Follow this topic" :)

Second, do you have a 4K monitor or just speak out of youtube theory ?

I have 4K 28inch monitor at work, and I have a Surface Pro 2.

Third, anyone buying a 4K monitor would have atleast a decent card, it's not like a 970 or 290/390 gets 10 fps in Witcher 3 at 4K, it gets a playable 30-40 and if you bump useless settings like foliage and shadows a bit down you could get even higher framerates.

No, not really. Not everyone games.