a build log featuring a zalman z11 plus case a gtx 960 and an amd fx-6300

cheval

i feel like its slightly out of the sweet spot of pc builds plus i want to build a similar system my self

What's your budget?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

change the 6300 to an i3 4160 and your golden in the cpu department

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I think OP already bought the parts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i want to build a similar system my self

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Z11 is a HORRIBLE case. FX-6300 is a HORRIBLE processor for the money. Sorry man.

I personally dont think the z11 is a horrible case. Check my z11 thread Aytex. It has a decent amount of fans and good airflow, however it lacks in watercooling support by default and doesn't have a lot of cable management by default. However this being said you can mod the case which is a lot of fun and really make it yours and in my opinion it has a very unique style that looks cool. If you want something that will be able to just throw things into without thinking about it, maybe try a NZXT Phantom(the original not a 410) It has a lot of room as it is a full tower case. And please do not get an i3..... If you want to get intel go with the pentium g3258 aniversary. It has 2 cores and is FULLY unlocked for $69. The i3 will be more expensive and will offer less performance once you overclock the pentium, it will still be on LGA1150 socket so you can upgrade to a better processor down the line and not waste your money on an i3. 

Archangel(z11 Build) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.0 GPU: 2x Sapphire R9 290x RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V 2800 Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC Power Supply: Cougar CMX1000 Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 Storage: 120GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB WD Blue

Reptile(Dual G34) CPU: 2x Opteron 6172 RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC Mobo: Super Micro H8DGU-F Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7k300 3TB

White Knight:(wife's build) CPU: A10-6800k GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning GHz BE RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury White 1866 Mobo: MSI A88x-g43 Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520 Case: TT Commander Snow Edition Storage:1TB WD Blue

I personally dont think the z11 is a horrible case. Check my z11 thread Aytex. It has a decent amount of fans and good airflow, however it lacks in watercooling support by default and doesn't have a lot of cable management by default. However this being said you can mod the case which is a lot of fun and really make it yours and in my opinion it has a very unique style that looks cool. If you want something that will be able to just throw things into without thinking about it, maybe try a NZXT Phantom(the original not a 410) It has a lot of room as it is a full tower case. And please do not get an i3..... If you want to get intel go with the pentium g3258 aniversary. It has 2 cores and is FULLY unlocked for $69. The i3 will be more expensive and will offer less performance once you overclock the pentium, it will still be on LGA1150 socket so you can upgrade to a better processor down the line and not waste your money on an i3. 

I've owned the Z11. It's terrible and very flimsy compared to other options. An i3 is much better than a pentium as it has hyperthreading. 

blackshades on

I've owned the Z11. It's terrible and very flimsy compared to other options. An i3 is much better than a pentium as it has hyperthreading. 

You wont gain much with the hyper threading, and since the pentium is unlocked and can easily hit 4.5GHz plus, it will perform better in games. Not only that the i3 is double the cost. He might as well save up and buy a better processor and use the pentium in the mean time.

Archangel(z11 Build) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.0 GPU: 2x Sapphire R9 290x RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V 2800 Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC Power Supply: Cougar CMX1000 Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 Storage: 120GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB WD Blue

Reptile(Dual G34) CPU: 2x Opteron 6172 RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC Mobo: Super Micro H8DGU-F Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7k300 3TB

White Knight:(wife's build) CPU: A10-6800k GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning GHz BE RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury White 1866 Mobo: MSI A88x-g43 Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520 Case: TT Commander Snow Edition Storage:1TB WD Blue

You wont gain much with the hyper threading, and since the pentium is unlocked and can easily hit 4.5GHz plus, it will perform better in games. Not only that the i3 is double the cost. He might as well save up and buy a better processor and use the pentium in the mean time.

Hyperthreading helps A WHOLE LOT with only two cores. General usage and gaming was still up there. You need at least a $100 cooler to reach 4.5Ghz on a Pentium.

blackshades on

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VkI06zjJo0M

This was overclocked to 4.8 on a hyper 212 evo. The g3258 is an overclocking beast and even on a $30 cooler it can hit 4.5 + and if he gets a better cooler he can use that to overclock his i5 or i7 once he gets it vs using all that money to get an i3 with a stock cooler then still having to buy a better one down the line anyways

Hyperthreading helps A WHOLE LOT with only two cores. General usage and gaming was still up there. You need at least a $100 cooler to reach 4.5Ghz on a Pentium.

you are right except for the cooler part cause a 212 evo will get it that far and farther depending on the silicon lottery 

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

you are right except for the cooler part cause a 212 evo will get it that far and farther depending on the silicon lottery 

I could see 4.2Ghz on an evo... not really 4.5Ghz unless you get real damn lucky.

blackshades on

I could see 4.2Ghz on an evo... not really 4.5Ghz unless you get real damn lucky.

the g3258 can overclock to 4.2 on the stock cooler just ask anyone that got it for overclocking fun on here

Spoiler