Mom school laptop 600$

guimauve522
Go to solution Solved by Philosobyte,

o

Are you sure that a I5 will be enough to be fast for the entire 5 years because she doesn't want to have to buy another one. Thanks :)

I said 600$ and obviously since we're from Canada CAD$ :)

I have an i3-4000m, and I'm confident it'll last me for another five years of word processing/programming/YouTube watching/online classes. Performance requirements for these simple tasks won't change much, and even then, a mobile i5 will have a lot of headroom. 

Replacing the HDD with an SSD would be nice, though, if you can afford it. It's a huge speed increase for simple tasks. 

Hey guys my mom is going to college after having working for a long time and she's doing it online because she can't just stop working so she need a laptop to do her class. She asked me to find her a laptop that'll be good for the 5 years it'll take to do all the class and she told me she had a 600$ budget for it so i'd like to know what I should look for with this budget in Canada for a laptop that'll be used to write documents do power points and basic things like that, School things if you prefer it like that :) 

Don't forget i'm in Canada so price are a bit different so yeah thanks :) 

write documents do power points and basic things like that, School things if you prefer it like that

Chromebook?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Hey guys my mom is going to college after having working for a long time and she's doing it online because she can't just stop working so she need a laptop to do her class. She asked me to find her a laptop that'll be good for the 5 years it'll take to do all the class and she told me she had a 600$ budget for it so i'd like to know what I should look for with this budget in Canada for a laptop that'll be used to write documents do power points and basic things like that, School things if you prefer it like that :)

Don't forget i'm in Canada so price are a bit different so yeah thanks :)

500CAD or 500USD?

o

any I5 laptop. dont overspend, she can get away with spending way less

Are you sure that a I5 will be enough to be fast for the entire 5 years because she doesn't want to have to buy another one. Thanks :)

500CAD or 500USD?

i hope your mum does her homework, if not ban her from the internet xD

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

i hope your mum does her homework, if not ban her from the internet xD

I hope she does too ^^ here in Canada quebec school suposed to be super cheap (2000$ a year for college) but because she does it online it's 700$ by class so yeah I think she won't waste her money by not doing her homework :P

I hope she does too ^^ here in Canada quebec school suposed to be super cheap (2000$ a year for college) but because she does it online it's 700$ by class so yeah I think she won't waste her money by not doing her homework :P

in the uk depending on what you want to do, parents sometimes have to spend ridic amounts to do courses. 

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

o

I have an i3-4000m, and I'm confident it'll last me for another five years of word processing/programming/YouTube watching/online classes. Performance requirements for these simple tasks won't change much, and even then, a mobile i5 will have a lot of headroom. 

Replacing the HDD with an SSD would be nice, though, if you can afford it. It's a huge speed increase for simple tasks. 

I have built my own PC but don't know a lot about laptop so can you easily replace the HDD with a SSD or is it complicated or not a normal things to do?? Because normally you can't really change the hardware in a laptop easily since it's compact. So I'll look for an i3-i5 and see what I can buy for the money we have :) thanks 

I have built my own PC but don't know a lot about laptop so can you easily replace the HDD with a SSD or is it complicated or not a normal things to do?? Because normally you can't really change the hardware in a laptop easily since it's compact. So I'll look for an i3-i5 and see what I can buy for the money we have :) thanks 

A lot of laptops allow for easy replacement of the HDD with an SDD, but thinner ones (ultrabooks) might not give you a hatch to access it. You'll have to check whether the specific model you want to buy allows upgrading. 

A lot of laptops allow for easy replacement of the HDD with an SDD, but thinner ones (ultrabooks) might not give you a hatch to access it. You'll have to check whether the specific model you want to buy allows upgrading. 

ok nice thanks you guys I know what to look for now have a nice day everyone thanks for the help :)