HBM 2 Not Initially Exclusive to AMD, Samsung is in and Beat Hynix's Initial Offerings

patrickjp93

You can read more here. NVidia basically claims that they hold the rights to the technology of a graphics card, meaning that Qualcomm and Samsung should be forced to pay NVidia for making GPU's for smart phones, tv's etc.

Samsung has never released a Gsync monitor, and it doesn't look like they ever will. Based on Samsungs behaviour, I must assume this is much worse than Samsung's dealings with Apple.

With one more HBM vendor, it would be nice to see all APU's and mid to high end GPU's come with HBM next year. So for AMD 480 and up should have HBM, maybe even 470 (one can dream).

You need to keep in mind Samsung has different divisions and it treats each division as a separate company so yeah.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You need to keep in mind Samsung has different divisions and it treats each division as a separate company so yeah.

Indeed Samsing is a conglomerate. But the NVidia court case will hit a lot of them. The mobile and tv divisions gets hit, and it might also hurt their semi conductor business too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You can read more here. NVidia basically claims that they hold the rights to the technology of a graphics card, meaning that Qualcomm and Samsung should be forced to pay NVidia for making GPU's for smart phones, tv's etc.

http://wccftech.com/carmack-nvidias-patent-lawsuit-disturbing/

Samsung has never released a Gsync monitor, and it doesn't look like they ever will. Based on Samsungs behaviour, I must assume this is much worse than Samsung's dealings with Apple.

With one more HBM vendor, it would be nice to see all APU's and mid to high end GPU's come with HBM next year. So for AMD 480 and up should have HBM, maybe even 470 (one can dream).

lol, I remember that. Considering Qualcomm bought Radeon Mobile Graphics from AMD years and years ago (Adreno being an anagram of Radeon), and the gpu architecture they are using hasn't changed much afaik, I'm sure the heads of Qualcomm were all ROFLing at the lawsuit.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

lol, I remember that. Considering Qualcomm bought Radeon Mobile Graphics from AMD years and years ago (Adreno being an anagram of Radeon), and the gpu architecture they are using hasn't changed much afaik, I'm sure the heads of Qualcomm were all ROFLing at the lawsuit.

Indeed. It makes little sense, but then again, patent cases can be extremely complex. Qualcomm might not have gotten access to the proper patents. Either way it's an insane case few industry insiders support NVidia in.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I can't wait for HMB to come to Nvidia, and others. I remember when I was first getting into computers, GDDR5 was the new thing. It was on the 4870 or something like that, then the 5000 series.

Also, Would there would be any performance difference if you were to put 12gb of HBM memory on a Titan X? or any other card that still uses GDDR5? I would love to see that. 

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

The court case is still ongoing though, so we don't know much less. It's an insane case I hope NVidia loses. But American courts seems to disfavour Samsung in everything. Not sure they understand the consequences of letting NVidia win this one. Then again it might open up for AMD recking NVidia later on.

Year, as one of the only large consumer brands, they have not. That is very telling. In fairness though, Samsung aren't known for making gaming monitors (which is very odd considering the e-sports scene of SK). But they were quick to react after that lawsuit.

ZEN will be out next year, but might only be the server versions. So yeah the consumer version might not hit the market until 2017, but I hope that is not the case. More HBM on things please. A new generation of consoles in 2017 with a ZEN APU with HBM might be awesome too.

Courts are here to ensure the law is followed. Consequences of those laws are of no concern to a court. The Supreme Court said that same thing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

doesn't matter if samsung aks more. samsung has better gddr5 memory chips now and it is usually hynix who supplies since it's cheaper.

Lol, well AMD is going to be having some troubles, Nvidia finally can revive their HBM GPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Galaxy S7, with all the HBM in the world, for no apparent reason.

No point tbh. It would not have the save saving space, as the hmb cannot be stacked ON TOP of the SoC like the dram can

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

All i see in the post is "just a number" ... like 48  :wacko:

Let's agree to disagree