Share your good and bad customer support stories :)

slifer

h100i backplate bent and fucked up on arrival

*brand new unit*

I've had 2.

One happened over the last few days.

I installed a new hard drive in an old Windows Vista laptop to run Windows 10 but Windows 10 gives me a black screen with no cursor when installing drivers.

The other one was when I used a wireless mouse with my Gaming PC and the batteries died when I was playing Unturned. So yeah.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

PSUs which are not modular with a case that does not have grommets and cable management.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

IBM dudes were not impressed

My greatest computer disaster arose in 1979 when I was a young lad of 20.  I was selling (please forgive me!) the newly releases TRS-80 Model 2.  I received a call from a computer scientist who worked at IBM in Armonk (sort of equivalent to mecca in those days). He wanted to see what was up with this whole personal computer thing and said that there would be probably be a dozen of his colleagues there to check it out.  We scheduled to meet at local synagogue as they would not be able to get me on campus.

When I arrived I was shown a table up front of a small room.  The only power was from two large orange single outlet extension cords. One cord ran off to the left wall and the other ran off to the right.  I plugged the dot matrix printer into one and the brand new computer into the other. While they were both off I attached the printer cable and noticed a tiny spark of electricity when I did so. I turned on the printer, no problem. But when I switched on the computer it instantly burst into flames!!!  We all stood there in shock until someone had the good sense to get a fire extinguisher and put it out.  

The demo wrapped up quickly after that. It was about a week later that the IBM guy called to say that they discovered that the two outlets were wired out-of-phase and that must have been the cause of the fire.  

43 minutes ago, JHDjr said:

My greatest computer disaster arose in 1979 when I was a young lad of 20.  I was selling (please forgive me!) the newly releases TRS-80 Model 2.  I received a call from a computer scientist who worked at IBM in Armonk (sort of equivalent to mecca in those days). He wanted to see what was up with this whole personal computer thing and said that there would be probably be a dozen of his colleagues there to check it out.  We scheduled to meet at local synagogue as they would not be able to get me on campus.

When I arrived I was shown a table up front of a small room.  The only power was from two large orange single outlet extension cords. One cord ran off to the left wall and the other ran off the right.  I pulled the dot matrix printer into one and the brand new computer into the other. While they were both off I attached the printer cable and noticed a tiny spark of electricity when I did so. I turned on the printer, no problem. But when I switched on the computer it instantly burst in flames!!!  We all stood there in shock util someone had the good sense to get a fire extinguisher and put it out.  

The demo wrapped up quickly after that. It was about a week later that the IBM guy called to say that they discovered that the two outlets were wired out-of-phase and that must have been the cause of the fire.  

Whoa...

Haven't had any nasty hardware experiences yet, but I've had some frustrating pieces of software. Namely the CNC software I'm having to teach myself to use in engineering class. The tool in the simulation won't even touch the stock and it'll start freaking out about hitting motion limits and I can't find anything online about how to fix it. Even following a tutorial step by step didn't give me a working program.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

2 hours ago, JHDjr said:

When I arrived I was shown a table up front of a small room.  The only power was from two large orange single outlet extension cords. One cord ran off to the left wall and the other ran off to the right.  I plugged the dot matrix printer into one and the brand new computer into the other. While they were both off I attached the printer cable and noticed a tiny spark of electricity when I did so. I turned on the printer, no problem. But when I switched on the computer it instantly burst into flames!!!  We all stood there in shock until someone had the good sense to get a fire extinguisher and put it out.  

They didn't offer to help you buy a new one?

My worst week was having my laptop internal power supply die on a Monday as I was setting up a network for a customer and my desktop kicking the dust that Thursday. The desktop would turn on but the motherboard wouldn't post or anything. Just some pretty lights..

• 1 month later...

So this will be for everyone who wants to rant about customer support. I have been trying to get my logitech g710+ replaced for about 2 weeks now and they keep putting me on hold and they keep telling me they need more information, which i give them eagerly hoping it will solve the issue. I have been on the phone now for about 30 minutes on hold while a technician comes to answer the phone call. I have also called them multiple times about their software not working properly and they instruct me to do the same thing every time. They tell me to uninstall and reinstall the program and they say it should make it all work. It doesn't. I have to go through clear everything and back up my computer and even then it some times doesn't work. After this is all said and done and when it comes for the next keyboard I might switch back to razer. I have had my razer deathader for about 2 years and it works fine plus their key switchs on their machnical sounds and feels better. What do you think about my issues? Should I begin to look at switching keyboard manufactures?

I haven't had any problems with customer support yet, mainly because I am lucky enough not to have something of mine have problems yet. Two weeks though definitely is not fine, personally I don't like Logitech that much. 

I fucking hate customer support. I tried to get my laptop repaired and I knew it was a faulty HDD and the dude didn't think so. I asked for his name and then I hanged up called back and then got a lady and said to her the problems and she even said it was the HDD so I got it fixed and I reported the guy for being a dumbass and not being smarter than the customer. I mean like come on your the technican not me and I even knew what was wrong with it. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

17 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

I haven't had any problems with customer support yet, mainly because I am lucky enough not to have something of mine have problems yet. Two weeks though definitely is not fine, personally I don't like Logitech that much. 

Yeah I have had some bad experiences with Logitech before.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I never had to call Logitech for support before because usually they're one of the few brands that keeps working w/o issues.

Maybe their products are SOOOO good their support isn't use to troubleshooting issues o.O

Going from Logitech to Razer is a weird direction. While I love Razer and think the hate towards them is a little extreme, Logitech is overall the better manufacturer IMO. You just have 1 bad exp.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

2 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

I never had to call Logitech for support before because usually they're one of the few brands that keeps working w/o issues.

Maybe their products are SOOOO good their support isn't use to troubleshooting issues o.O

Going from Logitech to Razer is a weird direction. While I love Razer and think the hate towards them is a little extreme, Logitech is overall the better manufacturer IMO. You just have 1 bad exp.

All customer support is shit thought lets be honest. Havent had one good experience. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

3 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah I have had some bad experiences with Logitech before.

Same my Dad use to have a $20 wireless Logitech mouse and man was that thing garbage. A $5 mouse honestly felt better. 

1 minute ago, Rolfejc said:

Same my Dad use to have a $20 wireless Logitech mouse and man was that thing garbage. A $5 mouse honestly felt better. 

I use the $20 cheap combo and its been working for about 1 and a half years. But it is missing the star key lol.

1 minute ago, FuriousGamer said:

I use the $20 cheap combo and its been working for about 1 and a half years. But it is missing the star key lol.

Well if it has worked for over a year I guess that's good. There just can be lots of problems though with some of those keys. 

3 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

All customer support is shit thought lets be honest. Havent had one good experience. 

Actually I had a very pleasant experience with Motorola. I had a problem with my Moto X and the guy on the phone was incredibly knowledgeable and solved my problem. He even called and dealt with Verizon for me before. So Motorola I have had a good experience with before. 

2 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

I have a $27 headset that broke two days after I got it and the mic completely stopped working. Logitech basically told me to bad and to go get another...

Just now, Orangeator said:

Actually I had a very pleasant experience with Motorola. I had a problem with my Moto X and the guy on the phone was incredibly knowledgeable and solved my problem. He even called and dealt with Verizon for me before. So Motorola I have had a good experience with before. 

I have a $27 headset that broke two days after I got it and the mic completely stopped working. Logitech basically told me to bad and to go get another...

I tried playing a game on my dad's Logitech mouse and it was terrible compared to my Turtle Beach Grip 300 which costed only $15 more and is much better. 

One thing I've learned about customer support... Is to be extremely patient. Being in a hurry will take you nowhere with that.

If you're dealing with Logitech, they will make you go through multiple hoops and then when they decide that the keyboard is faulty, they will most likely send you a new one, free of charge, without you having to even ship the old one. I personally dealt with them through their online support instead of the phone, took a bit over a week of back and forth, they also tried to get me to uninstall/reinstall the software, made me download something that deleted all my USB drivers, good thing I had a backup to recover from because nothing worked anymore... When I complained about that, it sure expedited things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Luckyy...Havent had one good expirience I always get the idiots who either are reading off a script or just take about 3 hours to get the problem fixed or the ones who put you on hold every 20min to talk to there "supervisor" lol. 

1 minute ago, FuriousGamer said:

Luckyy...Havent had one good expirience I always get the idiots who either are reading off a script or just take about 3 hours to get the problem fixed. 

Dang, I swear to God I want to reach through the phone and strangle those idiots who I KNOW are reading of a script to me. It makes me never want to deal with a company.

13 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Nah Amazon and Google support are actually better than the rest. Google in its response time (get a reply in under an hour) and Amazon in it's resolution (always fixes the problem no matter whose fault).

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)