Huge Prime Finder - Now Open Source and Multithreaded!

I hope this is the right forum btw, I think this counts as software...

Lightweight Java Prime Finder

What is it?

This is a multithreaded program I recently created in Java that can be used to find huge prime numbers. It has a strong emphasis on ease of use and performance. It is multithreaded and heavily optimised so it runs extremely quickly and can find new prime numbers with thousands of digits in just a few minutes. 

How to use?

How to use it is relatively simple. It accepts a "starting number" in the form of x^y+c, then it checks every number greater than the starting number using a combination of the Fermat Test for Primality and Trial Division to see if it is prime. You can follow the onscreen instructions and it will give recommended settings based on your machine!

I recommend starting from a 'small' number, such as 3^3000 just to see if everything is working alright for you.

The exciting thing is that this can be used to find primes that haven't been discovered before! For example: the largest prime I have found using this application is: 12^15000 + 9367 (16188 digits). Which as far as I have researched has never been discovered or computed by anyone else! It took my computer (Quad Core i5 @ 3.10 GHz) running at 100% CPU for 36 hours non-stop to scan through all the numbers (starting from 12^15000) and to validate that this is a prime. I have linked the full number file below.

12^15000+9367.txt   15.81KB   0 downloads

Download

Link to github.

(If you have any feedback on my coding please do mention it, I'm entirely self-taught!).

TODO: 

·         Replace that huge SWITCH statement that is the main menu with smaller methods.

·         Stop recursively calling the main menu again and again as a restart (can cause a stackoverflowerror).

·         Have a standard method to take input from the user rather than a bunch of smaller ones.

That’s all, if anyone does find a new prime number be sure to tell me!

nicely done, there is a similar project on boinc, PrimeGrid

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

nicely done, there is a similar project on boinc, PrimeGrid

PrimeGrid was actually the inspiration for me to start creating this program! I do like what they have done.

how do I download and use it

If you're on windows then download and unzip this.

Then run the "run.bat" that should work.

• 3 weeks later...

Just pushed a small update to the master to fix a few things. Now the program should run a bit faster!