Can I stil be tracked if I use a vpn?

smeek14

Say Linus, I don't think someone watched your video!

PS: It's got Tacos inside your brain man!

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

Maybe not now, but they're still recording it all. In a few years when computing power multiplies, especially for government supercomputers, they'll be able to get whatever they want.  Not to mention if they have enough nodes they can do all sorts of analysis to figure out who's who.  TOR is not secure.

If you think that perhaps computational power will get powerful enough to crack encryption on the fly, let me remind you that it requires a great deal less power to encrypt something than to decrypt something. If encryption just stayed where it is right now, then yes, eventually we would get there, but even measly-old 256-bit encryption (which can be easily done on a simple SSD controller), at today's technological level, would stifle attempts to crack encryption for at least a hundred thousand years with all the world's computers combined. Not to mention that 512-bit, 1024-bit and 2048-bit encryption are actual things now, which raise the bar significantly by several orders of magnitude each. Encryption isn't static. Society will break down long before government has the ability to get whatever they want.

But I will agree that Tor is insecure because of the exit nodes.

But... That's just wrong.

Sure VPNs don't have to have encryption, but 99.9% of the VPN services you rent do, and they got good encryption. Most I've found uses 256 bit There is no way anyone on Earth had enough processing power to break that, especially not some ISP or school sysadmin.

Where did you read that most don't use encryption and the ones that do use weak ones?

This is a good link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/128545/is-pptp-a-secure-vpn-protocol

Most implementations of PPTP (the currently most common VPN config) send the login password via clear text, so If i am sitting there with wireshark, and see you establish the connection, I have the password.

most of the free ones online have this flaw, paid ones not so much and if it is your own corporate it department's then it really depends if they have had the time to secure it.

Look under authentication: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-it-done-tunneling-terms-you-should-know-when-deploying-a-vpn/

I actually heard tor is not secure.

Yes, Tor is probably not completely secure. BUT, it still makes it the most secure of any option.

Anyone can find you if your connected to the internet. If somebody really wanted to, they could find out everythign and anything about you, down to what size of underwear you have

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Say Linus, I don't think someone watched your video!

PS: It's got Tacos inside your brain man!

heyyy TY :)

If your name is Jared Fogle it's too late for this.  Just sayin

Nope...  also I talked to my friend.  he said that what im using is ok.

This is a good link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/128545/is-pptp-a-secure-vpn-protocol

Most implementations of PPTP (the currently most common VPN config) send the login password via clear text, so If i am sitting there with wireshark, and see you establish the connection, I have the password.

most of the free ones online have this flaw, paid ones not so much and if it is your own corporate it department's then it really depends if they have had the time to secure it.

[Citation Needed] on the most common VPN config being PPTP with passwords in clear text.

Even if you are only using Microsoft terrible build in encryption support, it is still possible to configure it to not send passwords in clear text.

Talked to my friend about this. He said that I should be safe with what I have.

Berkeley has a fantastic tool that will show you the results of your VPN and how well it protects you here: http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu

If you are using a VPN (such as private internet access) you are pretty protected. If you are just downloading torrents, the NSA doesn't care enough about you to come after you. However, if you are doing things are threatens the nation, that is a different story. 

Also, if you are torrenting, you will want a good VPN kill switch to shutdown either the computer's internet connection or the torrent program. Otherwise your VPN WILL at some point disconnect and then your ISP and more importantly MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) will come after you. Typically, they will sue you for ~$100,000+ and you will end up settling around $10,000 if your lucky *not including lawyer fees. Your ISP is NOT who you need to be concerned about, they may send you letters telling you to stop, and after 5 times may disconnect your services, but I'd be more worried about the MPAA coming after you if anything.