Should I even upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by Badger906,

It's just a friend of mine maybe wanna buy my old stuff and the looking for a new I thought the new 6700 would be more future proof

if you get good enough money then theres no reason not to I guess. my mate bought me my new mobo, cpu cooler and cpu in exchange for my old cpu, mobo and gpu. so after I bought my 980ti I got a free upgrade lol

Hi guys 

I have this setup:
i7 3770 (I use auto OC and think it's clocked at 4.10)

MSI Z77A-G45

16GB DDR3

MSI GTX 780 ti OC

Samsung Evo 840 250GB SSD

750W PSU

Two old HDD around 3TB for other stuff

Dual screen 1080p with one running 144hz

and running it all in a custom water loop so OC is an option.

I am considering upgrading to a 5820K with new MB and DDR4, but there is also the new 6700K
I mostly game, but also have alot of things running at once. And with new internet I might test out some streaming

The other option I have considered is upgrading my 780 ti to the 980 ti. I originally wanted to SLI my 780 ti, but they are scarce where I live and those I can find cost the same as a 980 ti.

I like new tech and this might be the reason, but is it crazy to upgrade anything right now?

Since you are gaming at 1080p i would say keep what you have for now =]

And i know the feel of wanting to upgrade, i also love new tech =]

If you're not facing any issues (lag) then no, if you do want to upgrade then I see the GPU being the only reason to do so.

GPU, No, not now. CPU, You could use an upgrade, Skylake will be a good upgrade, but don't rush it, Only if you have the extra cash.

GPU, No, not now. CPU, You could use an upgrade, Skylake will be a good upgrade, but don't rush it, Only if you have the extra cash.

About 7fps more

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

I'm just thinking about the VRAM in the Graphics card and games beginning to use 3GB or more

And with Win 10 and DX12 wouldn't it be good to get a 6 core CPU?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-6700K Theres a decent improvement in single core, thats why I said only if you have the extra cash.

Its not like a "GO OUT AND BUY THE 6700K NOW!!!!"

CPU BOSS is crap

Go watch Linus' Skylake review on vessel

or wait for it till next monday

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

you wont benefit from an upgrade.

the new skylake processors will only be good for high refresh rate gaming where the cpu can become a bottleneck. plus ddr4 will give zero benifits in games.

if you're gaming at 1080p just spend the money on a new monitor.

no point having a decent pc and limiting yourself where it really matters. get a 1440p or 21:9 ultra wide.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Go buy some awsome mech keyboar and mouse or buy a bigger monitor

Lg 34"um95 maby but yoir hardware is perfect if you dont feel lack of preformance ;)

you wont benefit from an upgrade.

the new skylake processors will only be good for high refresh rate gaming where the cpu can become a bottleneck. plus ddr4 will give zero benifits in games.

if you're gaming at 1080p just spend the money on a new monitor.

no point having a decent pc and limiting yourself where it really matters. get a 1440p or 21:9 ultra wide.

I have a set of BenQ XL2411Z one with a 144hz rate and I like the dual screen setup alot and my desktop does not really have room for two bigger than 24 :P

Go buy some awsome mech keyboar and mouse or buy a bigger monitor

Lg 34"um95 maby but yoir hardware is perfect if you dont feel lack of preformance ;)

Got all the good stuff I need and then monitors I have is fine.

The GPU is mostly cause I want to run everything on max and my 780 ti is beginning to lack that on the newer games 

If your monitors dont have g-sync you can go and buy 2 8 gig 390 but the 980ti is the best preforming card right now

Im sure that you can w8 another generaition and see what will happend

Thats what i would personaly do :D

If your monitors dont have g-sync you can go and buy 2 8 gig 390 but the 980ti is the best preforming card right now

Im sure that you can w8 another generaition and see what will happend

Thats what i would personaly do :D

Sadly no G-Sync so that could be an option

Yeah I'm steering more to that as I can still run most things 

980ti is probably your best option. I just wouldn't upgrade the rest of your pc.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

980ti is probably your best option. I just wouldn't upgrade the rest of your pc.

So I should upgrade the 780ti for the 980ti and leave the rest as is?

And would it be better to go for two 970 or one 980 now + one later, given the new uses in dx12?

So I should upgrade the 780ti for the 980ti and leave the rest as is?

And would it be better to go for two 970 or one 980 now + one later, given the new uses in dx12?

well that's the only thing youll gain an improvement from as the rest of your build is still solid 

well that's the only thing youll gain an improvement from as the rest of your build is still solid 

Thanks man 

A little side note, if I were to upgrade the MB, RAM and CPU which would be best, the 5820K or the new Skylake 6700K?

Thanks man 

A little side note, if I were to upgrade the MB, RAM and CPU which would be best, the 5820K or the new Skylake 6700K?

if youre a gamer none of them. youll be spending more money and getting no performance boost. 5000 series is rubbish, and the new 6700 with ddr4 just makes it way more expensive and will have no gains over ddr3.

best cpu still for gamers is the 4790k.

edit**** 2000th post!! wooo! B)  B)  B) 

if youre a gamer none of them. youll be spending more money and getting no performance boost. 5000 series is rubbish, and the new 6700 with ddr4 just makes it way more expensive and will have no gains over ddr3.

best cpu still for gamers is the 4790k.

edit**** 2000th post!! wooo! B)  B)  B)

It's just a friend of mine maybe wanna buy my old stuff and the looking for a new I thought the new 6700 would be more future proof

if you get good enough money then theres no reason not to I guess. my mate bought me my new mobo, cpu cooler and cpu in exchange for my old cpu, mobo and gpu. so after I bought my 980ti I got a free upgrade lol