Forbes' Bottlenecked 1080p/60FPS Build

I was just browsing through Google's Newsstand app and came across this in my PC tab. Forbes occasionally does PC stuff, and this time Jason Evangelho did a build for gamers who wanted decent performance on a budget. Not that the parts are any good...

"Build a 1080p/60FPS Gaming PC for $750"

You want to play the newest games on High quality at 1080p? You want to do that at 60fps? You also want plenty of overclocking potential and a graphics card that doesn’t exceed 63C under heavy load? Asus has you covered across the board with their Strix GTX 960, a card I recently reviewed  and loved. True story: Before Nvidia released the 960, I had targeted an AMD Radeon 285 for this build. But the incredible power efficiency of Maxwell combined with a lower TDP, quieter operation, and lower aggregate cost compelled me to switch teams.

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($128.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($98.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($185.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $704.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-16 06:57 EDT-0400

Some of these choices are really poor. Kingston SSD? Corsair CX430 PSU? Seagate HDD? A 960 with an FX? A Cooler Master GeminII?

I promised you a build capable of delivering 1080p/60fps gaming, but it needs to stretch beyond those requirements and give you the kind of graphical eye candy only possible on the PC platform. That means every game at High quality or better. Yes, even Metro: Last Light Redux. After reviewing the GTX 960 and thus opting for Nvidia’s sweet spot GPU in our $750 build, I knew this would be a happy reality.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Actually not that bad !

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

thats cute, Little forbes doesn't know how to bake a budget build

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($204.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $674.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-16 07:01 EDT-0400

Change the colour of the quotes.

YOU ARE KILLING THE ME AND MY DAY THEME DURING NIGHT!!!

There is literally not a single part of that build that I would call a "bottleneck". Learn how to use that word please and don't overuse it.

A 380W power supply for an AMD FX build is not the most prudent move. But it's a bad build overall.

There is literally not a single part of that build that I would call a "bottleneck". Learn how to use that word please and don't overuse it.

Arguably the power supply. It'll work... but it's not going to accept an AMD GPU as upgrade or anything, or a high-end nvidia gpu for that matter.

The 8320 won't bottleneck a 960... that's a terrible build though.

Sure, but why the hell would you go for an FX with a 960? What are you going to upgrade to that's definitely going to work? You might as well go for an i5 4460 like in Ronnie76's build or an i5 4690(K), atleast then you can go on to get more powerful GPUs later on. Nevermind that, the FX 8-Core (Quad Core, two threads per core) is a waste of money for a PC Gamer ona  budget - you don't stick the most "powerful" AMD CPU in a budget rig.

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

The 8320 won't bottleneck a 960... that's a terrible build though.

YES IT IS. Bad SSD, Bad PSU. Not an Evo 212. 

Actually not that bad !

WHET? The CPU, motherboard and GPU are fine. BUT EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

A 380W power supply for an AMD FX build is not the most prudent move. But it's a bad build overall.

Arguably the power supply. It'll work... but it's not going to accept an AMD GPU as upgrade or anything, or a high-end nvidia gpu for that matter.

Again, that has nothing to do with being a bottleneck.

Sure, but why the hell would you go for an FX with a 960? What are you going to upgrade to that's definitely going to work? You might as well go for an i5 4460 like in Ronnie76's build or an i5 4690(K), atleast then you can go on to get more powerful GPUs later on. Nevermind that, the FX 8-Core (Quad Core, two threads per core) is a waste of money for a PC Gamer ona  budget - you don't stick the most "powerful" AMD CPU in a budget rig.

Why do you think I stated that the build is awful? I would never use an 8320 or 8350 in build even if it doesn't bottleneck.

blackshades on

Bottleneck for the user's future-proofness? They can't go anywhere unless they change the architecture of the system.

Okay, I give up. If I could change the title I would.

The FX 8320 is a 8 core CPU, not a quad core 8 thread.

Some of the cores do share parts of with other cores though.

Why do you think I stated that the build is awful? I would never use an 8320 or 8350 in build even if it doesn't bottleneck.

You may see a bit, Not enough to notice it, 3.2GHz is fairly low in todays standards but the build definitely won't run GTA V, Metro Last Light, Battlefield ect at 1080p max 60fps. 

Bottleneck for the user's future-proofness? They can't go anywhere unless they change the architecture of the system.

You're trying way too hard :P

You may see a bit, Not enough to notice it, 3.2GHz is fairly low in todays standards but the build definitely won't run GTA V, Metro Last Light, Battlefield ect at 1080p max 60fps. 

Don't think a 960 is made to max those settings. In comparison my 8320 at 3.5Ghz does bottleneck my 760s in poorly optimized games. Who knows!

Lame build.

blackshades on

Don't think a 960 is made to max those settings. In comparison my 8320 at 3.5Ghz does bottleneck my 760s in poorly optimized games. Who knows!

Lame build.

The reason why I say this, First line, like

what thats messed up xD

You want to play the newest games on High quality at 1080p? You want to do that at 60fps? You also want plenty of overclocking potential and a graphics card that doesn’t exceed 63C under heavy load? 

The FX 8320 is a 8 core CPU, not a quad core 8 thread.

Some of the cores do share parts of with other cores though.

It pairs the cores in twos ("modules") so they can act like one traditional core. It may as well be a quad core, although it's still more powerful than one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1e8226/

lol... AMD

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

snip

dafuq is dat shit build?

the 8320e can comfortably run on the cheapest 970 board. its made to run on 4+1 phase VRMs. So that board is way too expensive.

Using a FX in the first place, while not the best of gaming CPUs, will work. Although there is much better to be had for that price range.

Well, atleast we should thank Forbes for trying. If nothing else the mislead customers will help keep AMD alive.

you cant play 60 fps with FX even if you lower settings

Yes you can. Just not The Witcher 3. Most other games get around 60 FPS, if nothing else, just OC those chips. My own FX 8320 (non e) OCd 900 MHz on stock voltage alone. I hear some has been able to OC 900 MHz and even undervolt their chips a little..

GG Forbes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Whats wrong with the kingston SSD?

or the GeminII?

or the FX with the 960?