New laptop is very slow

Marxtai

Hello,

my sister purchased a brand new laptop a couple of weeks back. It's an entry level Dell, but the specs should be more than enough for her usage (web browsing, text documents, that kind of stuff)

Model : Inspiron 3451

CPU : Quad-core Pentium N3540 @2.2Ghz

RAM : 4GB

It feels very slow, takes super long to boot, and when you open a session it will take a few minutes before you're up and running.

Everytime you launch a new program it crashes, and recently I installed Atom (the text editor) on it and it will frequently crash (stop responding) when I try to do 2-3 things too fast.

Even opening a new browser tab and going to a website takes time, and very often it will stop searching for the website - I have to click on the address bar again and press Enter.

I ran a Malwarebytes scan just to be sure, and tried CCleaner, but it had those problems even when it was brand new.

I'm supsecting that there might be some preinstalled Dell crap that is making it run slow, but I looked in the programs manager and didn't see anything out of the ordinary there.

Is there anything I can do to try and fix this? If it was my laptop, I'd just install Linux, but I can't do that on this one.

Would a HDD format help, to start with a fresh install of Windows with nothing installed?

Thanks for the help. :)

8GB ram + an SSD. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

You'd be surprised how much a shitty hard drive can slow down a system, I'd switch out that HDD for an SSD then see how it runs.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Doesn't matter how slow or fast your computer is, if your machine is running an HDD it will be a snail, if it has an SSD it will be a freaking bullet train.

Have a server running with such a CPU. It's pretty quick for basic stuff. But alas, that server is running an SSD as boot. So either it's got tons of bloatware, or that 5400rpm drive it will no-doubt have is slowing it down. I suspect a bit of both really.

i can guarantee that her laptop is full of bloatware, get rid of that and it should boot and get faster

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

Most likely the HDD is super slow, as they usually put the crappiest thing money can buy, and it is fully bloated with extra software that runs at startup

You'd be surprised how much a shitty hard drive can slow down a system, I'd switch out that HDD for an SSD then see how it runs.

i can guarantee that her laptop is full of bloatware, get rid of that and it should boot and get faster

Most likely the HDD is super slow, as they usually put the crappiest thing money can buy, and it is fully bloated with extra software that runs at startup

Thanks for the advice, I'll try with a fresh install of Windows and see if that helps. As for upgrading to a SSD, I'll look into it if it doesn't get any better with the fresh install of the OS. ;)