(Dell - US) Dell XPS 13″ Infinity Display Quad HD+ Touch Core i7 $1199

khpura

As Title Says - I think if i know correctly it is $400 cheaper then from Dell website - Great Deal IMO.

Dell XPS 13″ Infinity Display Quad HD+ Touch – Core i7 $1199

As Title Says - I think if i know correctly it is $400 cheaper then from Dell website - Great Deal IMO.

Dell XPS 13″ Infinity Display Quad HD+ Touch – Core i7 $1199

To anyone looking at one of these... I just recently picked up an http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4099OG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

for my sister. Much better deal. Amazingly beautiful construction and I didn't know this but the product information is wrong on the page, you actually get a 4k (well its actually 1800p wide instead of 2160, but its the same one as the dell xps, and it looks godly) screen not 1080p as is listed. There is another version of the same model listed by ASUS for 10 dollars more and it is the 4k

(I actually told her to get the 1080p one, because I was worried about windows text scaling..., but when we got it in it was a 4k display and I was shellshocked at its beauty. And it looks like it wasn't just me that got the 'free upgrade screen' as one of the reviewers on this product mentions issues with the 4k text scaling from windows haha.)

Also yes its an 5200U instead of a 5500U but the ONLY difference is 200 MHz (both are dual cores with same ram same storage same resolution touch screen.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

To anyone looking at one of these... I just recently picked up an http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4099OG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

for my sister. Much better deal. Amazingly beautiful construction and I didn't know this but the product information is wrong on the page, you actually get a 4k (well its actually 1800p wide instead of 2160, but its the same one as the dell xps, and it looks godly) screen not 1080p as is listed. There is another version of the same model listed by ASUS for 10 dollars more and it is the 4k

(I actually told her to get the 1080p one, because I was worried about windows text scaling..., but when we got it in it was a 4k display and I was shellshocked at its beauty. And it looks like it wasn't just me that got the 'free upgrade screen' as one of the reviewers on this product mentions issues with the 4k text scaling from windows haha.)

Also yes its an 5200U instead of a 5500U but the ONLY difference is 200 MHz (both are dual cores with same ram same storage same resolution touch screen.)

You cannot seriously compare Asus last generation product with state of the art Dell XPS

You cannot seriously compare Asus last generation product with state of the art Dell XPS

The state of art product that is literally the EXACT SAME SPECS with the SINGULAR difference between a 5500u vs a 5200u which is 200 MHz difference and nothing else. 

They didn't change the name but the ASUS model is completely up to date.

Broadwell CPU, 256 gb ssd, 4k ips touch display (that having seen both products I am very suspicious it is actually the exact same display).

BTW while I paid for the product I linked... This was the product I got... http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-13-Inch-Touchscreen-i5-5200U-Windows/dp/B00YI83REG/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1439575483&sr=1-2&keywords=ux303la

Straight apple to apple comparison where the 350 dollar difference for just a different very slightly more powerful CPU is obviously not worth it.

ASUS SPECS

Screen Size 13.3 inches Max Screen Resolution 3200 x 1800 RAM 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR3L  Hard Drive 256 GB SSD  Wireless Type 802.11bgnac (dual band)
Brand Name Asus Series UX303LA-US51T Item model number UX303LA-US51T Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 8.1 Item Weight 3.2 pounds Item Dimensions L x W x H 12.70 x 0.70 x 8.80 inches Color Silver Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Interface eSATA

Dell XPS 13

Screen Size 13.3 inches Max Screen Resolution 3200 x 1800 pixels Processor 2.4 GHz Core i7-5500U  RAM 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM  Hard Drive 8 GB SSD  Wireless Type 802.11 A/C Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
Brand Name Dell Series XPS 13 Item model number XPS9343-7273SLV Operating System Windows 8.1; Free upgrade to Windows 10 when available Item Weight 2.8 pounds Item Dimensions L x W x H 11.98 x 7.88 x 0.60 inches Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 1 Flash Memory Size 256.0 Batteries: 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

Also if I may claim, the ASUS is much nicer built, the very small (10%) increase in size and weight is a direct result of the full unibody metal chassis that is well worth it.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

-snip-

Here is where you missed:

Dell XPS has much slimmer screen bezels

Dell XPS comes in black

Some may argue keyboard is better on XPS

XPS is half a pound lighter (3.2 vs 2.7lbs)

The 5500U, I agree isn't much of an upgrade, but it still is an upgrade

I could not find a spec on the brightness of the 303LA, but the XPS is 200 nit, something I don't think the 303LA is

XPS is slightly thinner at .6 vs .7 inch

I love ASUS and all, but I think there are reasons the XPS is priced higher. It is a no compromise ultra-portable laptop. If I wanted to I bet I could find even more things.

Look, I think the 303LA is a great buy, but in my opinion, the XPS is different and you get some more features for the extra you pay.

P.S. it is also water proof ;)

Here is where you missed:

Dell XPS has much slimmer screen bezels

Dell XPS comes in black

Some may argue keyboard is better on XPS

XPS is half a pound lighter (3.2 vs 2.7lbs)

The 5500U, I agree isn't much of an upgrade, but it still is an upgrade

I could not find a spec on the brightness of the 303LA, but the XPS is 200 nit, something I don't think the 303LA is

XPS is slightly thinner at .6 vs .7 inch

I love ASUS and all, but I think there are reasons the XPS is priced higher. It is a no compromise ultra-portable laptop. If I wanted to I bet I could find even more things.

Look, I think the 303LA is a great buy, but in my opinion, the XPS is different and you get some more features for the extra you pay.

I did say it was about 10% heavier and lighter. As Linus put it the ultra slim bezel is a mixed blessing in many ways. The keyboard on the XPS is ultra bad. This was pointed out in Linus's review. It has 'unacceptable' amounts of flex with poor keys. 

Why is the ASUS heavier and larger? It's an all metal unibody instead of the metal plastic (EDIT: It's plasticized carbon fiber and metal, but it has way less rigidity than the zenbook either way.)  mix of the Dell. The Dell still makes compromises, as does the ASUS, but man when the prices are that different (which btw no one else has the xps available anywhere near that price for those specs, but it looks like temporarily a 'relatively good' as in 300 dollars off deal).

You can see my review in the reviews section it talks ALOT about the differences and benefits between them, and at the sticker prices listed (I omitted this price because its a stray ebay sale, and no one else sells it anywhere close.)

I mean look for the price difference (even in this case of 350 dollars) are you honestly going to tell me its worth it? I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

@5:09

Also I really don't like asus products in general. I absolutely hate their rog laptop lineup, their gpu coolers have been subpar this generation, and their mobo's are just stupid.  BUT of all the ultrabooks I have came into contact with, this one is literally the only one I have really been lambasted by (probably because of the feature set and build quality while being massively cheaper than Dell, MSI, HP, Lenovo and Apple.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

-snip-

I guess you do have more experience with the devices than I do, so I can't argue. 

The 303 is definitely a better value, but I still think those things like the screen bezel, color/design, and thin/lightweightness of the XPS are value adders to me.

the plastic thing I'm not sure what you're saying, maybe dell is lying or choosing to leave out plastic in the description, but it says

Exterior Chassis Materials

CNC machined aluminumEdge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™ on QHD+

Carbon fiber composite palm rest with soft touch paint

on their website http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

I did think the XPS was easily found around a price like this though, so if you're looking at it by a value perspective, I agree with you.

I guess you do have more experience with the devices than I do, so I can't argue. 

The 303 is definitely a better value, but I still think those things like the screen bezel, color/design, and thin/lightweightness of the XPS are value adders to me.

the plastic thing I'm not sure what you're saying, maybe dell is lying or choosing to leave out plastic in the description, but it says

on their website http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

I did think the XPS was easily found around a price like this though, so if you're looking at it by a value perspective, I agree with you.

Well look at these side pictures... http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/2 more plastic than metal.

Also try to configure an i5 with 256 gb ssd and the qhd touch. Its 1399.99. (I checked.) That's 550 dollars more than the ux303la. This deal is actually quite the deal comparative to official sale price (and everything I've seen on the internet), but I just don't think its a good value in the first place (mind you i think this about almost all ultrabooks.) 

EDIT:

Actually its my bad. Its 'carbon fiber' sprayed with soft-touch paint (which feels extremely like plastic I must say) but either way it isn't anywhere near as rigid as the Zenbook.

I mean look the XPS13 was last updated in Jan 2015. This Zenbook refresh didn't come out until May 2015, its not surprising the later model is cheaper. Hell the zenbook refresh is so recent I can not even find reviews for the current models (and their 3800x1800 display).

And sure if you REALLY needed the ultra small form factor then maybe the price isn't too bad. It's certainly miles better than anything Apple (or HP, Lenovo, MSI at the price for that matter) has to offer. I just wanted to point out an lesser known (imho better but if not better than just different) alternative exists.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

eBAY alert :o As much as I love it, the forum doesn't.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Well look at these side pictures... http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/2 more plastic than metal.

Also try to configure an i5 with 256 gb ssd and the qhd touch. Its 1399.99. (I checked.) That's 550 dollars more than the ux303la. This deal is actually quite the deal comparative to official sale price (and everything I've seen on the internet), but I just don't think its a good value in the first place (mind you i think this about almost all ultrabooks.) 

EDIT:

Actually its my bad. Its 'carbon fiber' sprayed with soft-touch paint (which feels extremely like plastic I must say) but either way it isn't anywhere near as rigid as the Zenbook.

I mean look the XPS13 was last updated in Jan 2015. This Zenbook refresh didn't come out until May 2015, its not surprising the later model is cheaper. Hell the zenbook refresh is so recent I can not even find reviews for the current models (and their 3800x1800 display).

And sure if you REALLY needed the ultra small form factor then maybe the price isn't too bad. It's certainly miles better than anything Apple (or HP, Lenovo, MSI at the price for that matter) has to offer. I just wanted to point out an lesser known (imho better but if not better than just different) alternative exists.

what I don't understand is that you are trying to argue against when you could just make another thread for the Zenbook and let the people who actually are looking for a laptop to decide.

what I don't understand is that you are trying to argue against when you could just make another thread for the Zenbook and let the people who actually are looking for a laptop to decide.

I did afterward haha. A full review as well.

I just had one of those knee-jerk reactions to 'The macbook is 200 dollars off!!! WOOT WOOT Now its only 50% overpriced...'-esque feeling I got out of this posting haha.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS