Samsung's 16TB datacenter SSD

EcoBoost

This is exactly what the companies are doing.  They are researching how to fit more storage in smaller/single chips.  This decreases cost, by increasing capacity per chip, so they need less chips for equal size.  So, they are already doing exactly what you want.

I have a hard time understanding your statement in terms of this article.

What they just did, was increase the density of a chip, which most likely will not make anything else cheaper, nor does it make it smaller. It just makes one expensive as hell product (especially considering the GB/$ we see on an SSD). How the article explained the creation of this new 16TB SSD, was to make the memory 3D, which is the same idea as HBM. Then look at the current HBM GPUs and that sure ain't cheap either...

Making something smaller would be to have an existing size (let's say 256GB) and turn it into a 1 inch SSD or something, which I even doubt would be any cheaper than the already existing models.

4f361778_960px_shut_up_and_take_my_money

Honestly I can't help but see that flash storage is the future. It's density is just growing so much more quickly then mechanical drives now. As OP said and from what I can dig up, the largest capacity 2.5" mechanical drive is a 3TB Toshiba drive, just released at the beginning of the year. 16TB SSDs for the mainstream market seem very unreasonable for the next while, but this paves the way for consumer-available SSDs soon to come that will match if not surpass the capacities of consumer-available mechanical drives.

TBH, HDD density isn't really a top priority right now. Since the average consumer doesn't need more than 1 or 2 Terrabytes anyway.

But still, the speed of the SSD alone is a key selling point and right now paying €50 for 1TB or +/- €100 for 250GB is still a hard sell to some people. It's still 8x per GB cheaper (maybe a bit less).

But if Price per GB will drop further, than hello fast boot times!

Ok, how many kidneys it will cost ?))))

It will cost you more two kidneys, liver, a pair of your eyeballs, one penis, two testicles, stomach, colon, small intestine, your best strong faphand, left brain.

Do you like to make the deal?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

It will cost you more two kidneys, liver, a pair of your eyeballs, one penis, two testicles, stomach, colon, small intestine, your best strong faphand, left brain.

Do you like to make the deal?

I will wait 2-3 years)) 

Still can't wait for the day when SSDs come to price of HDDs though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

What they just did, was increase the density of a chip, which most likely will not make anything else cheaper, nor does it make it smaller. It just makes one expensive as hell product (especially considering the GB/$ we see on an SSD). How the article explained the creation of this new 16TB SSD, was to make the memory 3D, which is the same idea as HBM. Then look at the current HBM GPUs and that sure ain't cheap either...

Making something smaller would be to have an existing size (let's say 256GB) and turn it into a 1 inch SSD or something, which I even doubt would be any cheaper than the already existing models.

The thing to note is moving from the standard 2d gates to a 3D structure requires more initial investment (R&D and building the factories, as they may require new equipment to be built).  So while the initial cost of such products might be higher than consumer grade stuff, the fact the density decreases will have benefits to the consume *down the road*.

The way to look at it is like, what is the major cost of making flash?  It isn't the lithography, but the purified silicon wafers.  So the more you can build out of a single wafer the cheaper things become.  Although someone can correct me if I am wrong.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

I was thinking about cpu's and gpu's and making miniature military ships then I saw the title and my mind just went blank

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

As larger enterprise SSDs come out, the price of smaller consumer-oriented SSDs goes down. Look at how expensive they were a few years ago

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

For those who are interested, although this is a 2.5" drive, it is 15mm in thickness. It may not install it in hdd cage or any space that are designed for 7mm or 9mm SSD...

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/samsung-sm953-pm1725-pm1633-pm1633a,1-2805.html

It should fit in most desktop 3.5" bays where there's holes for 2.5" drives since 3.5" HDDs are like 25mm(?) in thickness

drivetrays.jpg

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan