Why Android phones have onscreen menu buttons?

smeek14

1. @Aytex seriously learn how to google jesus christ

2. don't follow @EarthboundHero 's guide, that is for the M8.

Oops didn't realize he didn't have a M8, sorry @Aytex you have to have a Sense ROM (HTC) to use Sense Toolbox anyways. Also, Assassin calm down. It's against CoC to tell people to use Google.

I don't rember google being a tech fourm

I rember my fone being technology

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Lol this is why i hate my android devices

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

Why not?

There's no real advantage for physical buttons. They take space from what could have been a larger display, they require extra stuff and don't wear over time.

It frees up room on the screen. Immersive mode just isn't as nice. Capacitive buttons don't wear out or require anything but making the digitizer span a bit below the screen.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

It frees up room on the screen. Immersive mode just isn't as nice. Capacitive buttons don't wear out or require anything but making the digitizer span a bit below the screen.

I agree, software buttons just aren't there yet, especially on large tablets like the nexus 9

I don't rember google being a tech fourm

I rember my fone being technology

Learn how to type as well?

I know this tech forum is here to help people, but honestly half of the questions that get asked on here are very simple answers that you can easily find on Google, and would actually take even more time and effort to explain on here. 

Also, Assassin calm down. It's against CoC to tell people to use Google.

I don't advocate for telling people who are new to the forum and whatnot, and came for legitimate help, but this guy has been on the forum for a while now and should know what's something that can be easily achieved on his own, rather then spending time and effort to ask on a forum a question that will just result in somebody else Googling it for him. 

@Aytex "it's a tech forum" isn't an excuse for making people Google stuff for you. A tech forum is here to help people with specific issues and questions. With questions regarding the likes of rooting and whatnot, nobody will have the exact process for your specific phone remembered in their head to type out for you, and they will just end up Googling it anyways. A waste of time and effort for both parties. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

-snip-

I suppose, my main issue was just how rude he as about it. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I agree, software buttons just aren't there yet, especially on large tablets like the nexus 9

That is true. Google made a very foolish decision changing tablet softkeys from the old Honeycomb style (if I know my Android versions) keys. That style of keys actually made sense unlike current tablet softkeys or phone softkeys at any time.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Ok so why do Android screens have onscreen menu buttons...  I hate them on my HTC One m8.  Will they ever be removed in the future?

they have onscreen because they are being pressured to by google to for reasons i don't know. Samsung apparently doesn't care what Google thinks lol.