Transfer windows 8 from HDD to SSD...help!

Hey people i need some help,

So i have this new laptop, Lenovo Y500, with pre-installed windows 8 on a 1TB HDD and a 16GB for caching.

This laptop has an 'ultra bay', which means i can remove the disk reader and put a HDD caddy inside with a ssd or hdd.

I bought a 120GB HyperX ssd from Kingston and the idea is to put windows 8 on the 120GB SSD.... simple right?

well i searched a bit and found out i have to be careful not losing any licenses during re-installation.

How to do this right and safe ?

i have this laptop since one week so re-installing programs is no big deal.

I really appreciate any help !

Greetings,

CompRob

I've done this before, it's really messy and some things break in the process. You can try cloning software, but I'd install a new copy.

Use acronis true image. Intel has a download for transferring to ssd! I have used it multiple times, it is really good!

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19324

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

A piece of cloning software will do the trick.

Thanks for your reply. Could you advice me which software is best to use?

I've done this before, it's really messy and some things break in the process. You can try cloning software, but I'd install a new copy.

Tanks for your reply. Ye i really want to be careful with this new laptop.

Use acronis true image. Intel has a download for transferring to ssd! I have used it multiple times, it is really good!

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19324

Thanks for your reply. The thing is i dont have intel SSD, but a Kingston HyperX. And i only want the OS (windows 8) on the ssd for a faster working OS. Does cloning a HDD means all the data to a new drive and only using the new drive? i want to keep both drives for operation. HDD for data and SSD for OS.

It does not matter! I used it with my ocz ssd.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I'm sorry, but there is a window showing i dont have intel ssd installed in my system.

Acronis.jpg

Don't do cloning it makes your ssd slower, do a full reinstall.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Don't do cloning it makes your ssd slower, do a full reinstall.

All right, could you tell me how? windows 8 was already installed, so i have no disc and no key.

Download Windows 8 and format it onto a memory stick (search google it is not too hard)

Don't worry about using the same LIsence key it usally has around 5 uses and if it does not work phone up microsoft and tell them that you are reinstalling and they will reset the code for you.

There is normally a key on the back of the laptop or it should of come with it. If not phone up who you bought it from because they have to supply you with it.

Did you get any software from kingston to do it if so use it but you have to have less data on the hdd than what the ssd can hold. If you didnt look into achronis I would recommend clonezilla but its tricky going from a bigger drive to a smaller one with that.

Somewhere in your copy of Windows that came with the notebook, there should be software to make recovery disks. Use these disks to install Windows on the SSD...

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

If you want to do a clean install just get a ISO make a flash drive and use the key on the bottom of you laptop.