Z77 to Z170, considering a refresh of my system

My current build is in my signature, but I'll list it here in case this post gets long.

CPU: 3570K

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Pro 3

RAM: 16Gb (4x4) Kingston Hyper X Anniversary edition 1333Mhz

Others don't really matter, they will not change.

Story: My motherboard is dying, at least I think it is, the warranty is far gone, for both the CPU and Mobo. Some time back I had issues with audio and ethernet, audio would just suddenly cut off, I had to disable and re-enable the device from windows playback device management. Sometimes there was sound looping when the audio cut off.

As for the ethernet the computer would just not detect a cable between the PC and the router, though that could have been the router.

I have not had either issue for about 4 months now, but still, I am worried about the longevity of my components. I was initially planning to buy an identical motherboard, but my order was cancelled because they simply ran out.

My budget is currently ~600€, I live in Finland, I have only just started making proper planning so I don't have much yet.

My target is to get a Z170 build, that way I will surely not have a similar situation on my hands where I can't get a replacement component down the line. Incase something does start showing signs of dying, and I won't necessarily have the money for a new chipset.

I wish I could afford a 6700K, but right now I can only do a 6600K as I also need to get new RAM, I might get some from selling my CPU and current RAM, and possibly even my mobo (my friend might be interested in it, and he knows it might die soon). Depending how much I could ask for those I will change my plans.

Only have one build in mind ATM, here it is.

PLAN 1

CPU: 6600K

Motherboard: Asus Z170-K

RAM: 16GB (2x8) Crucial Ballistics Sport CL16 1920Mhz (?? not sure about speed,"Bandwidth: pc4-19200"That is what is says on the site.)

Image of what the prices are in my 'preferred' store, I say preferred, but it's not. NOTE: everything in image is in Finnish.

4f346f3ec2.png

PCPartPicker link

TL:DR (I hate you for not reading...)

1. Is it wise for me to upgrade? Should I wait for prices to change?

2. Any better options for hardware? Needs to be buyable in Finland, any store that delivers it here will do, take into account shipping if recommending something like Amazon. Z170 is preferred, read if you want to know why.

3. Do I need a new cooler? I think my current one should work just fine, but I am not sure.

4. Ask for details if I missed something and answer questions 1, 2 and 3.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Cooler is fine, I'm not sure about that ram either. It's a pretty notable upgrade for you feature wise, but speed wise it earth shattering (you are looking at about 20-30% increase in performance). I don't know enough about the z170 mobos to recommend any honestly. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

My current build is in my signature, but I'll list it here in case this post gets long.

Story: My motherboard is dying, at least I think it is, the warranty is far gone, for both the CPU and Mobo. Some time back I had issues with audio and ethernet, audio would just suddenly cut off, I had to disable and re-enable the device from windows playback device management. Sometimes there was sound looping when the audio cut off.

As for the ethernet the computer would just not detect a cable between the PC and the router, though that could have been the router.

I have not had either issue for about 4 months now, but still, I am worried about the longevity of my components. I was initially planning to buy an identical motherboard, but my order was cancelled because they simply ran out.

My budget is currently ~600€, I live in Finland, I have only just started making proper planning so I don't have much yet.

My target is to get a Z170 build, that way I will surely not have a similar situation on my hands where I can't get a replacement component down the line. Incase something does start showing signs of dying, and I won't necessarily have the money for a new chipset.

I wish I could afford a 6700K, but right now I can only do a 6600K as I also need to get new RAM, I might get some from selling my CPU and current RAM, and possibly even my mobo (my friend might be interested in it, and he knows it might die soon). Depending how much I could ask for those I will change my plans.

PLAN 1

RAM: 16GB (2x8) Crucial Ballistics Sport CL16 1920Mhz (?? not sure about speed,"Bandwidth: pc4-19200"That is what is says on the site.)

Image of what the prices are in my 'preferred' store, I say preferred, but it's not. NOTE: everything in image is in Finnish.

4f346f3ec2.png

PCPartPicker link

2. Any better options for hardware? Needs to be buyable in Finland, any store that delivers it here will do, take into account shipping if recommending something like Amazon. Z170 is preferred, read if you want to know why.

3. Do I need a new cooler? I think my current one should work just fine, but I am not sure.

Up to you if you wanna upgrade, i would think ivy bridge is still relevant but if your mobo is dying, well, might as well go with skylake

Not sure about that cooler, i mean, it works but, if you wanna overclock maybe get something more powerful

Can't say what the best options are in Finland, but i would probably buy the same combo

May be odd but i am not sure what's the deal with PSUs and skylake, for haswell you needed a haswell certified PSU and...i would think the energy saving features are still present, if anything turn off the C6 state on the bios and you should be fine tho.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I wouldn't upgrade unless your mobo is really shot. upgrading these components will maybe get you a 10% boost in performance in games(maybe). 

Paul did a nice review on comparing the gains of switching processor/mobo/ram. 

Cooler is fine, I'm not sure about that ram either. It's a pretty notable upgrade for you feature wise, but speed wise it earth shattering (you are looking at about 20-30% increase in performance). I don't know enough about the z170 mobos to recommend any honestly. 

I am going into this expecting a 0% performance increase, my system is dying, I am saving it. If it gets better, it's a bonus.

Up to you if you wanna upgrade, i would think ivy bridge is still relevant but if your mobo is dying, well, might as well go with skylake

Not sure about that cooler, i mean, it works but, if you wanna overclock maybe get something more powerful

Can't say what the best options are in Finland, but i would probably buy the same combo

May be odd but i am not sure what's the deal with PSUs and skylake, for haswell you needed a haswell certified PSU and...i would think the energy saving features are still present, if anything turn off the C6 state on the bios and you should be fine tho.

I have a 'small' OC on my current CPU, gets to about 70c in gaming, 80c in prime 95 IIRC. PSU is a Modecom Carbon 620W.

The PSU has served me well so far, even with being a nameless manufacturer that doesn't even show up in PCMR's shitlist for PSUs.

It is actually difficult to find proper data on this PSU, I couldn't find the manufacturers website for an example.

EDIT: no need to quote the OP, I don't need to see what I typed again, use member tagging instead if OP were to not follow his own topic. (I do)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I am going into this expecting a 0% performance increase, my system is dying, I am saving it. If it gets better, it's a bonus.

I have a 'small' OC on my current CPU, gets to about 70c in gaming, 80c in prime 95 IIRC. PSU is a Modecom Carbon 620W.

The PSU has served me well so far, even with being a nameless manufacturer that doesn't even show up in PCMR's shitlist for PSUs.

It is actually difficult to find proper data on this PSU, I couldn't find the manufacturers website for an example.

EDIT: no need to quote the OP, I don't need to see what I typed again, use member tagging instead if OP were to not follow his own topic. (I do)

Then go for it. If it's dying then you might as well upgrade before it dies (so that you aren't left with a piece of junk that can not be resold haha).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I wouldn't upgrade unless your mobo is really shot. upgrading these components will maybe get you a 10% boost in performance in games(maybe). 

SNIP

Paul did a nice review on comparing the gains of switching processor/mobo/ram. 

I'd rather be safe than sorry, AFAIK I am putting the rest of my components at risk (mainly ram) by trying to ride this mobo to the end.

Then go for it. If it's dying then you might as well upgrade before it dies (so that you aren't left with a piece of junk that can not be resold haha).

That's the thing, I am going to do it sooner or later, my question is if I should wait for prices to change with the Z170 lineup.

I don't need the hyperthreading, but the increase in Mhz between the 6700K and 6600K bothers me, is there anything coming in between those 2 CPU's?

Spoiler

PLAN 1

4f346f3ec2.png

PCPartPicker link

1. You won't notice the increase in cpu speed. If you can get A CHEAP Z77 mobo that may be a better bet if you don't need the estra 10% cpu speed.

2.  If thats the platform you want that mobo looks good and there isn't much of a choice in the cpu department. For ram just get cheap stuff. The 19200 is the rating of speed, so its 2400 mhz.

3. No, you can use the same cooler

I'd rather be safe than sorry, AFAIK I am putting the rest of my components at risk (mainly ram) by trying to ride this mobo to the end.

That's the thing, I am going to do it sooner or later, my question is if I should wait for prices to change with the Z170 lineup.

I don't need the hyperthreading, but the increase in Mhz between the 6700K and 6600K bothers me, is there anything coming in between those 2 CPU's?

I would wait until you can save a little more, for a new PSU and cooler, the way i see it if you buy a k series CPU you may as well overclock it or have a cooler capable of a nice OC even for later on. And a nameless PSU...i just wouldn't trust a 600 bucks investment on that. And you can sell it in a bundle with your other components. The cooler actually can wait, if you want the upgrade you can upgrade the cooler later, but the PSU worries me,

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1. You won't notice the increase in cpu speed. If you can get A CHEAP Z77 mobo that may be a better bet if you don't need the estra 10% cpu speed.

2.  If thats the platform you want that mobo looks good and there isn't much of a choice in the cpu department. For ram just get cheap stuff. The 19200 is the rating of speed, so its 2400 mhz.

3. No, you can use the same cooler

1. I haven't had much luck finding any good replacement mobos, this was also referenced in OP, the only "cheap" Z77 boart, is ~225€ or 250€, other options I found after that we're server boards (will not fit in my case), or really bad H series boards. The latter had no Sata3, and only had 4 ports of Sata 2 (I have an SSD FFS), and for some reason no PCI-e 3.0 either IIRC.

2. Ok, the site I got my prices from has done a really bad job of indicating speeds on some products, sometimes the info is there, sometimes it isn't.

3. Ok, thats for confirming that, I was worried for a moment.

EDIT: PLZ, it bothers me when the LONG OP I made is quoted, use member tagging when necessary.

Spoiler

The decrease in premium for the platform is likely to be mirrored by the decrease of the value of your current setup. If possible I would try to coordinate selling and buying as close as possible.

As to the speed difference, its pretty standard fair, but you should be capable of making up the missing speed without an issue.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I would wait until you can save a little more, for a new PSU and cooler, the way i see it if you buy a k series CPU you may as well overclock it or have a cooler capable of a nice OC even for later on. And a nameless PSU...i just wouldn't trust a 600 bucks investment on that. And you can sell it in a bundle with your other components. The cooler actually can wait, if you want the upgrade you can upgrade the cooler later, but the PSU worries me,

*sigh*

If only my employer sent some work my way, the job I have ATM is dependant on customers contacting my employer first.

I have no Idea what I should get for a PSU, this one that I have now has help up surprisingly well, I think it is 3, or almost 4 years old. I will consider that, adn a cooler upgrade once I am sure about extra funding. BTW, what could I get for my CPU, mobo, RAM and PSU? I have a general idea for what I will be selling them at, but I want other opinions.

Spoiler

The decrease in premium for the platform is likely to be mirrored by the decrease of the value of your current setup. If possible I would try to coordinate selling and buying as close as possible.

As to the speed difference, its pretty standard fair, but you should be capable of making up the missing speed without an issue.

What do you mean by this, English is not my native language so I don't quite get the first sentence. Reword it?

My current setup never was very valuable, except for Finnish price markup, I am not expecting it to get a whole lot out of it. If that is what you meant.

Spoiler

*sigh*

If only my employer sent some work my way, the job I have ATM is dependant on customers contacting my employer first.

I have no Idea what I should get for a PSU, this one that I have now has help up surprisingly well, I think it is 3, or almost 4 years old. I will consider that, adn a cooler upgrade once I am sure about extra funding. BTW, what could I get for my CPU, mobo, RAM and PSU? I have a general idea for what I will be selling them at, but I want other opinions.

Honestly, i'm sooo bad at selling stuff, if the mobo is failing i wouldn't lie about it, it's...wrong, i think you may be better off selling the parts that should pay decently (cpu and ram) and, maybe letting that mobo go? i mean, you really wanna sell it to someone and have it fail in 6 months? And the PSU, not sure, maybe you can get something if you sell it cheap.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

What do you mean by this, English is not my native language so I don't quite get the first sentence. Reword it?

My current setup never was very valuable, except for Finnish price markup, I am not expecting it to get a whole lot out of it. If that is what you meant.

He means that if you wait, the more the price of the new platform drops, the more the price of your current set up will drop as well, basically, no need to wait since whatever you save on the purchase you will lose in the selling price of your current components (Just rewording someone's opinion, altho i agree to an extent)

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Meaning the new platform may go down by only say 30-50 USD, but your computer's current value vs what it would be should it actually die is likely going to be even more of a change.

Z170 cost now - 600 dollars (made up numbers)   Z170 Later - 550 Dollars

Current setup now - 300 dollars         Current setup later - 150 dollars

See what I mean?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Honestly, i'm sooo bad at selling stuff, if the mobo is failing i wouldn't lie about it, it's...wrong, i think you may be better off selling the parts that should pay decently (cpu and ram) and, maybe letting that mobo go? i mean, you really wanna sell it to someone and have it fail in 6 months? And the PSU, not sure, maybe you can get something if you sell it cheap.

A friend of mine might be interested in these components, he might want the mobo, if it starts showing problems again he might oven the problems out.

I intend on selling them to him, as they still function, he already know about the issues with the hardware.

He means that if you wait, the more the price of the new platform drops, the more the price of your current set up will drop as well, basically, no need to wait since whatever you save on the purchase you will lose in the selling price of your current components (Just rewording someone's opinion, altho i agree to an extent)

That makes sense, I might give it 2 or 3 months at max, or just pull the trigger at the smallest sign of the problems appearing. Hopefully I can get some more €€€ in those months/weeks.

Spoiler

Meaning the new platform may go down by only say 30-50 USD, but your computer's current value vs what it would be should it actually die is likely going to be even more of a change.

Z170 cost now - 600 dollars (made up numbers)   Z170 Later - 550 Dollars

Current setup now - 300 dollars         Current setup later - 150 dollars

See what I mean?

Yes.

*lowers voice*

I am going to consuld an external funder, the funder goes by the name of "Äiti", it roughly translates to "Mother".

Spoiler

Yes, I am going to consuld an external funder, the funder goes by the name of "Äiti", it roughly translates to "Mother".

LOL, moms allow us to become obssesed with this extremey pricey and complicated toys, so, they kinda have it coming :P

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

LOL, moms allow us to become obssesed with this extremey pricey and complicated toys, so, they kinda have it coming :P

First they got me an Xbox instead of a PS2, then they got me a 360, then they got me an OEM PC.... They have it coming...

(I still have the HDD from my first PC...)

Spoiler

@tomas710 @Curufinwe_wins @Electronics Wizardy

Alright, managed to sell my current set. Before you ask, the mobo went for 20€ And the buyer knows about the issues.

CPU went for 160€ Ram went for 75€

All in all, I think that went ok.

Once the funds show up I will be getting a 6700K, instead of the 6600K.

Link to cart here

I might also get a better motherboard, currently looking at a Asus maximus VIII Ranger.

All that is way better than I anticipated, and I still have some budget left, but I don't think I need to use it.

Once the transfers are complete I will be looking at a 890€ budget, but even with the better mobo I will still have 119€ left to use. -55€ From callsign "Äiti".

Hopefully my math hasn't derped me.

Spoiler

Alright, managed to sell my current set. Before you ask, the mobo went for 20€ And the buyer knows about the issues.

Link to cart here

I might also get a better motherboard, currently looking at a Asus maximus VIII Ranger.

All that is way better than I anticipated, and I still have some budget left, but I don't think I need to use it.

Once the transfers are complete I will be looking at a 890€ budget, but even with the better mobo I will still have 119€ left to use. -55€ From callsign "Äiti".

Gratz, I can not see the cart due to firewall at the moment, but I hope you do well.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Gratz, I can not see the cart due to firewall at the moment, but I hope you do well.

Ok, I have been calculating this again and again. I can't believe my budget crept from 537€ to 890€, just by selling my old parts. Maybe I will have enough for a new PSU too, I will pay my mom the 55€ I asked first though, first time I ever asked for a loan from her IIRC.

Best things is, I will get spare RAM from my m8's, for I will be sending the RAM to one guy. The mobo and CPU will go to one person, he said "as long as it arrives sometime next week". He knows about the mobo issues, and is still fine with his stuff possibly not coming so soon, as I need to get mine ordered.

I might be without a PC for a few days, but I can handle that easy.

Spoiler

Link to cart here

Awesome dude! With the extra cash i think it would be wise to invest on a good gold rated PSU, anything from the EVGA GS and G2 series is great and usually decently priced. I mean, with all that new gear better be safe than sorry right? And the cooler...Well, maybe you can change in in the future but should do great at stock clock for now.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Ok, I have been calculating this again and again. I can't believe my budget crept from 537€ to 890€, just by selling my old parts. Maybe I will have enough for a new PSU too, I will pay my mom the 55€ I asked first though, first time I ever asked for a loan from her IIRC.

Best things is, I will get spare RAM from my m8's, for I will be sending the RAM to one guy. The mobo and CPU will go to one person, he said "as long as it arrives sometime next week". He knows about the mobo issues, and is still fine with his stuff possibly not coming so soon, as I need to get mine ordered.

I might be without a PC for a few days, but I can handle that easy.

Give me the link of the store you're buying, preferably in the PSU section (Finish is not similar to anything i speak. Italian, french, even romanian i can get by but scandinavian languages are too different)

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10