Aftermarket Headphone MIC

Speakerator
Go to solution Solved by Speakerator,

if I was at home I'd do a search for you but I often see headworns for as low as $12 that have a 3.5mm jack

Studying Software-engineering but too stupid to use amazon search...  :D

There was something I saw called the moov mic or something, and it was essentially a cheaper version of the modmic. Hopefully you'll have luck with that!

Also, I'm not sure if it does, but a vmoda boom pro mic *might* just work on your headphones.

That does look kinda nice though I can only find it on Amazon US

You can get a standard desktop or generic lapel mic if you want.

Likewise if your headphones have a removable cable you can use a BoomPro.

This nearly does look like a perfect solution, unfortunately the HD558 use a smaller 4-pole version of the standard headphone jack (and I've always wondered why, since on the other end it is a conventional 3-pole 1/4 inch jack...  :ph34r:

However, I fiddled around a little and got it to work again, though I'm not quite happy to use both onboard and additional sound card in parallel, but well.

Yet, thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely consider some in the near future when getting a replacement.

Hey there,

I kind of nearly ragequit a match of CS:GO yesterday because my f*cking team ignored all my calls and played like silver elite. It was until today that I realized that my mic, a Zalman ZM-MIC1 broke, which kind of explains that..... I usually had it clipped to the cable of my keyboard at an angle facing me. Since it is quite sensitive, it was enough to cover the distance.

Well, so I'm looking for a replacement now. I kind of always liked the idea of the AntLion ModMic and thought I'd buy one, but holy crap, those things are 55 - 60€ a piece over here in Europe... You could get a decent pair of headphones for that price (by the way I use HD558's) Since I only use it for the occasional game of CS or Teamspeak with friends and don't do streams, VLOGS or anything I'm not sure if I want to shell out that kind of money.

So: anybody has any recommendation for additional mics - clip on or similar to the mod mic? Or are they really worth the money (not only audio quality wise but also reliability - for that price I'd like it to last quite a bit. Or Should I simply get another ZM-1?

Best regards

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Get another Zalman, they are so cheap, just don't treat them like shit

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

You clipped it to your keyboard cable?... 
Your teammates should be happy that it died...

Anyways, just get another ZM-1 if that was good enough for your purpose. 

My brother has had two of the older version.... he sounds amazing on them. I have met and have had coffee with the guy who owns the company... and he earnestly wants to make a good product. 

So, yeah, I'd say it's worth it. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Get another Zalman, they are so cheap, just don't treat them like shit

I just occasionally touched it. It just sat there happily most of the time  :D

You clipped it to your keyboard cable?... 

Your teammates should be happy that it died...

Anyways, just get another ZM-1 if that was good enough for your purpose. 

I knew somebody would pick on that  :P TBO, as long as I only used it in Push2Talk it worked perfectly, quality was great and as long as I wasn't frantically mashing the keyboard, background noise was more than acceptable (as I was told). For Voice Activated TeamSpeak I moved it to a different position^^

Nonetheless, thanks for the advice :)

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

do a search in amazon for a headworn mic with a 3.5mm jack. the wires that make the behind the head band are semi rigid so you can shape it in any form you like and it doesn't take much imagination to see how that could be attached to a headphone

do a search in amazon for a headworn mic with a 3.5mm jack. the wires that make the behind the head band are semi rigid so you can shape it in any form you like and it doesn't take much imagination to see how that could be attached to a headphone

Nice idea, did not think of that. However, at least on Amazon Germany the results show various studio / stage grade equipment from JK, Audiotechnica etc. ranging from 130 to 250€.... - so thanks, but no thanks  :D I'd rather put that money in my HD650 + Magni/Modi savings bank...  :P 

I just realized that I should probably do some more proper testing whether the mic is really broken, it could also be a faulty connection on the sound card ... Nonetheless, thanks @ all for the insight.

results show various studio / stage grade equipment

if I was at home I'd do a search for you but I often see headworns for as low as $12 that have a 3.5mm jack

There was something I saw called the moov mic or something, and it was essentially a cheaper version of the modmic. Hopefully you'll have luck with that!

Also, I'm not sure if it does, but a vmoda boom pro mic *might* just work on your headphones.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Studying Software-engineering but too stupid to use amazon search...  :D

That does look kinda nice though I can only find it on Amazon US

You can get a standard desktop or generic lapel mic if you want.

Likewise if your headphones have a removable cable you can use a BoomPro.

This nearly does look like a perfect solution, unfortunately the HD558 use a smaller 4-pole version of the standard headphone jack (and I've always wondered why, since on the other end it is a conventional 3-pole 1/4 inch jack...  :ph34r:

However, I fiddled around a little and got it to work again, though I'm not quite happy to use both onboard and additional sound card in parallel, but well.

Yet, thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely consider some in the near future when getting a replacement.