Does anyone still recommend the ROG Swift PG278Q?

MajorVegas

Looking into some monitors, would like to discuss a couple things

(If you don't want to discuss I'd appreciate you voting in the poll or leaving a different suggestion)

First off I'd like to say that I'm looking for a triple monitor setup with some premium/premium looking monitors. I've insured that my rig can handle it (running 4790k and 2x Titan Xs).

Was looking into getting 3x ROG swifts mainly because of the way they look, the high refresh rate, g-sync, etc. However I am aware that there is a new revision of this monitor coming out that changes the panel type to IPS and I am also aware that Acer now does the predator monitor with all of those features but looks kinda cheap. 

At my local brick and mortar shop they sell them about a 100$ off. So I'm considering pulling the trigger.

I know that I'd like to get a new monitor(s) by December 

Do you still recommend three ROG Swift PG278Q? If you don't what would you recommend?

Edit:

If you care, my budget is 2500 USD

Depending on the price yeah... If the budget is slim and the swift is a bit cheaper I tend to recommend it.

Despite it being TN it still looks great. Linus had nothing but good things to say about it in his review.

I got one for 600$ used awhile back in perfect condition, and it looks dam close in terms of color and picture quality compared to my pb278q ips monitor.

P. S..

7680x1440p at over 60 fps is going to need another titan x at the very least.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Depending on the price yeah... If the budget is slim and the swift is a bit cheaper I tend to recommend it.

Despite it being TN it still looks great. Linus had nothing but good things to say about it in his review.

I got one for 600$ used awhile back in perfect condition, and it looks dam close in terms of color and picture quality compared to my pb278q ips monitor.

P. S..

7680x1440p at over 60 fps is going to need another titan x at the very least.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Budget is not slim, its 2500$ USD

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

I actually plan on rarely using all 3 monitors at the same time for gaming I just want something pretty :P , and even if I do I think I'll be ok with 2 Titan Xs

I own one. I would not recommend it at this point. There are better g-sync monitors available. TN panels can't compare to IPS panels for color and viewing angles. Only reason I got mine was because it was the only g-sync monitor in existence at the time.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

It's shit.

Won't use another TN panel ever again.

I have used three Acer XB270HU's for a few days and it isn't great either.  The best thing you can do is get one and play all your games in 5K DSR, the extra vram compared to the 980Ti's helps alot there, and games look stunning. Save your money for VR-headsets and Pascal GPU's.

Rf0Y1U2.jpg

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I have used three Acer XB270HU's for a few days and it isn't great either. 

What's your issue with the Acer? I know it's been notorious for QC issues, and also looks cheap. Asus PG279Q should rectify that.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

What's your issue with the Acer? I know it's been notorious for QC issues, and also looks cheap. Asus PG279Q should rectify that.

7 monitors with death pixels.  <_<

Finally found one which is somewhat useable with 1 green stuck pixel while the screen is black, and with some death pixels in the corners.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

7 monitors with death pixels.  <_<

Finally found one which is somewhat useable with 1 green stuck pixel while the screen is black, and with some death pixels in the corners.

Yeah that's a common story from what I've been reading... all kinds of problems with this monitor. The PG279Q should do a better job, and it certainly looks the part.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Yeah that's a common story from what I've been reading... all kinds of problems with this monitor. The PG279Q should do a better job, and it certainly looks the part.

Yes, but the cheapest Acer i have bought was 390€ and the most expensive one 550€. While the new price is 799€  ;)

I am not really looking forward to the PG279Q... i wish Asus focussed on something revolutionary as the PG278Q:

IPS 4K 120hz with dual Displayport 1.2 connections

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Yes, but the cheapest Acer i have bought was 390€ and the most expensive one 550€. While the new price is 799€  ;)

I am not really looking forward to the PG279Q... i wish Asus focussed on something revolutionary as the PG278Q:

IPS 4K 120hz with dual Displayport 1.2 connections

Yeah I can't see that happening... all the R&D will be focusing on DP 1.3 now I reckon. Far more cost effective for them in the long run.

Yeah I can't see that happening... all the R&D will be focusing on DP 1.3 now I reckon. Far more cost effective for them in the long run.

Yeah.. DP 1.3 is coming with Pascal series I hope...

But why not use 2 or even 4 cables, I'm pretty sure the technology for 4K 120hz or 144hz is ready.

Also, please LG make a OLED MONITOR  :(

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Yeah.. DP 1.3 is coming with Pascal series I hope...

But why not use 2 or even 4 cables, I'm pretty sure the technology for 4K 120hz or 144hz is ready.

It may be, but realistically no one could even run that lol! A triple 980Ti set-up would struggle to push those kinds of frames, not to mention the combined cost of those GPU's and such a monitor in the first place... it would be extortionate and the purview of the super rich only. Besides, who is actually asking for this... apart from you lol... it's such a small minority that it just wouldn't be worth their while to produce.

The performance available today from a 1440p monitor @ 120/144Hz is pretty amazing, and when you add G-Sync in the mix, that's an impressive package and where the gaming sweet-spot will be for some time yet. But even this is an expensive option. Just look at the stats and surveys... the VAST majority of gamers are still at 1080p, even 1440p is a small minority, nevermind 4K. There are more people playing at weird resolutions on laptops than there are at 1440p and 4K combined on desktop PC's.

Furthermore, it's not as though a 980Ti has loads of headroom and is maxing out every modern game at 144FPS on 1440p 144Hz monitor, so it just goes to show how far GPU's have got to improve yet. DP 1.3 and Pascal will certainly be a big boost across the board, and I would also like to see 21:9 gaining a stronger foothold. Things can only get better, but it will take time. 

We'll get there eventually with 4K, but we need to get to stage first where a single GPU can run 4K to the same high standard that we take for granted from a 1080p display today. I don't see Pascal doing that to be honest, and it'll be the next gen beyond at the earliest that before this happens. The situation certainly isn't helped by the consoles holding things back though, but I honestly cannot see the PS4/Xbone sticking around for as long as the previous gen did... things are moving too fast, especially with VR, and they won't keep up.

It may be, but realistically no one could even run that lol! A triple 980Ti set-up would struggle to push those kinds of frames, not to mention the combined cost of those GPU's and such a monitor in the first place... it would be extortionate and the purview of the super rich only. Besides, who is actually asking for this... apart from you lol... it's such a small minority that it just wouldn't be worth their while to produce.

The performance available today from a 1440p monitor @ 120/144Hz is pretty amazing, and when you add G-Sync in the mix, that's an impressive package and where the gaming sweet-spot will be for some time yet. But even this is an expensive option. Just look at the stats and surveys... the VAST majority of gamers are still at 1080p, even 1440p is a small minority, nevermind 4K. There are more people playing at weird resolutions on laptops than there are at 1440p and 4K combined on desktop PC's.

Furthermore, it's not as though a 980Ti has loads of headroom and is maxing out every modern game at 144FPS on 1440p 144Hz monitor, so it just goes to show how far GPU's have got to improve yet. DP 1.3 and Pascal will certainly be a big boost across the board, and I would also like to see 21:9 gaining a stronger foothold. Things can only get better, but it will take time. 

We'll get there eventually with 4K, but we need to get to stage first where a single GPU can run 4K to the same high standard that we take for granted from a 1080p display today. I don't see Pascal doing that to be honest, and it'll be the next gen beyond at the earliest that before this happens. The situation certainly isn't helped by the consoles holding things back though, but I honestly cannot see the PS4/Xbone sticking around for as long as the previous gen did... things are moving too fast, especially with VR, and they won't keep up.

Who said you need to run the games maxed out? 

There is no point in running games like Witcher 3 at 144FPS. I just want a monitor that can do both 4K and high refresh rates for FPS games :)

I get 70FPS in BF4 with Ultra Settings and 4X AA i'm pretty sure turning off aa and settings to high would net me +100FPS at 4K. But yeah.. hope Pascal will have Displayport 1.3 I expected the 980Ti to have it but it didn't.

Oh and Displayport 1.3 can also power 60hz at 8K.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

There is no point in running games like Witcher 3 at 144FPS. I just want a monitor that can do both 4K and high refresh rates for FPS games :)

I get 70FPS in BF4 with Ultra Settings and 4X AA i'm pretty sure turning off aa and settings to high would net me +100FPS at 4K. But yeah.. hope Pascal will have Displayport 1.3 I expected the 980Ti to have it but it didn't.

DisplayPort 1.3 can only handle 8K 30Hz. It can only do 60Hz through compression (DSC).

DisplayPort 1.3 can only handle 8K 30Hz. It can only do 60Hz through compression (DSC).

1.4a then? It has almost been 1 year since that got announced in september or october 2014.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/199128-vesa-steams-ahead-with-displayport-1-4a-allows-for-8k-scaling

LG has "leaked" on their blog that Apple will release a Imac 8K this fall with a panel from LG, so monitors are expected in 2016. Who knows.. maybe it isn't even a Imac but a Apple Cinema Screen.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/06/apple-to-release-super-high-resolution-imac-8k-later-this-year-display-partner-lg-says

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

In benchmarks, BF4 gets about 90FPS at 4K with medium settings. And BF4 isn't exactly a new game, or nearly as demanding as some others.

You don't NEED to run games maxed out, but it's nice when you can and it's a clear indicator of loads of headroom on a GPU, so that as games continue get more demanding, you know it has the longevity to keep up. This is obviously always going to be easier at 1080p/1440p than 4K because of the demands of the latter. It's just that when someone is at 4K, they're going to be hitting that ceiling MUCH sooner, at least for the foreseeable future... and we don't know how competent or powerful Pascal will be yet, even if it does have DP 1.3. We'll just have to wait and see.

1.4a then? It has almost been 1 year since that got announced in september or october 2014.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/199128-vesa-steams-ahead-with-displayport-1-4a-allows-for-8k-scaling

LG has "leaked" on their blog that Apple will release a Imac 8K this fall with a panel from LG.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/06/apple-to-release-super-high-resolution-imac-8k-later-this-year-display-partner-lg-says

Are you taking about eDP 1.4a? That's based on DisplayPort 1.3 with additional mobile-focused features.

Apple can use custom interfaces as they did with their 5K iMac so that's not really relevant.

In benchmarks, BF4 gets about 90FPS at 4K with medium settings. And BF4 isn't exactly a new game, or nearly as demanding as some others.

You don't NEED to run games maxed out, but it's nice when you can and it's a clear indicator of loads of headroom on a GPU, so that as games continue get more demanding, you know it has the longevity to keep up. This is obviously always going to be easier at 1080p/1440p than 4K because of the demands of the latter. It's just that when someone is at 4K, they're going to be hitting that ceiling MUCH sooner, at least for the foreseeable future... and we don't know how competent or powerful Pascal will be yet, even if it does have DP 1.3. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm pretty sure two top-end Pascal GPU's will drive games at playable framerates like ~45-50

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU