Does ESD really happen?

Last year I took a class in high school called Computer Engineering Technology I. One of the first things we went over in that class was Electro-static discharge, but my brother, who at the time worked at a computer repair shop, said it doesn't happen. So is this really true?

I'm one of those people who makes those bass music things.

http://www.soundcloud.com/forwhichitstands

Last year I took a class in high school called Computer Engineering Technology I. One of the first things we went over in that class was Electro-static discharge, but my brother, who at the time worked at a computer repair shop, said it doesn't happen. So is this really true?

It happens but usually it is so little you wont notice.

i used to have a problem with my light switch. i would walk into my room flick the switch and it would shock me then my pc would wake up from sleep.

#Armenian hair problems 

There will be people who said it never happens and people who say it does.

It happens, I have read the stories. How big is the chance? Not sure. There will always be people saying they are working on PC's 24/7 in their wool socks on a carpet saying it never happens,

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ESD does happen. Static electricity naturally builds up on our bodies when we move around on say carpet for example. In fact, the voltage generated can be as high as 25,000V. Some areas are affected by ESD more than others, but sometimes you don't really feel the shock from static electricity because the voltage is too low to be felt by humans.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It happens. 

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

It can happen, but depends upon circumstance. Basically some things you can do may build an electrostatic charge, some will discharge it.

Working on conductors (like computer components) will generally result in a discharge. If the charge is high enough, it can be significant and damage things / cause you pain.

If you have ever touched a railing somewhere and felt a kind of spark - that is ESD.

Depends on the environment, in humid places with no carpets it's pretty rare.

ESD is extremely annoying if you live somewhere cold in the winter and you need constant heating, then the air dries out and you get zapped 24/7, really annoying  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Could make an interesting episode for LTT - how far do you have to go to actually damage hardware so that it either won't work at all, or won't run properly as a result of ESD. Have some RAM that's been tested to be fine with Memtest then see what it takes for it to start producing errors or even refusing to POST.

Could make an interesting episode for LTT - how far do you have to go to actually damage hardware so that it either won't work at all, or won't run properly as a result of ESD. Have some RAM that's been tested to be fine with Memtest then see what it takes for it to start producing errors or even refusing to POST.

They should totally do that, especially with all the inventory they have :D

I'm one of those people who makes those bass music things.

http://www.soundcloud.com/forwhichitstands

ESD does happen. Static electricity naturally builds up on our bodies when we move around on say carpet for example. In fact, the voltage generated can be as high as 25,000V. Some areas are affected by ESD more than others, but sometimes you don't really feel the shock from static electricity because the voltage is too low to be felt by humans.

What's the averge that a normal Human can feel?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

What's the averge that a normal Human can feel?

I actually have no clue what the lowest amount is we can detect.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Is ESD a myth? Thats your question, right? No, it isn't. Anyone who claim ESD is myth, is wrong.

When it will happen and is it really such big danger to electronics, thats the bigger question. When you build PC, you will have one point where components have sensitive parts exposed. This would be when installing CPU to mobo socket. ESD there could break both pieces. After that pretty much every piece is somewhat protected. But you still shouldn't rub bare PCB to you pants, shirt, mousepad or cat.

ESD / Static shock is the little thing that keeps balloons to wall after you rub them on hair or shirt. And makes hair raise with it. I usually get it by petting a cat. When I went to bowling, I got that frequently from ball returning machines.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It does happen, but most modern components can handle it where as back when I was first starting out it was more of an issue. That said you should still take precautions because you never know....

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

It happens, but it's tied to a few factors.

I've always had at least a grounded metallic bar attached to my desk that acts as both a discharge spot and a footrest. When I work I usually use an ankle strap, though that's not generally needed. touching a plugged in PSU (one that isn't running, mind you!) is enough

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Have you ever rubbed a baloon on your hair and attached it to the wall? Have you ever gotten a shock? Yes. Even if you haven't, ESD is real. Be weary and use a bracelet, maybe even an ESD safe mat. Listen to what a professional institution says, not what some guy says. Sure, I'm also some guy, but I actually go on evidence and reasoning, not the sort of bro science your friend's using. Not to cause offense, but this is just a bqd thing for him to do.

This video is decent enough on explaining it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Wait, if i get shock by touching my metal bar stand on my chair or door knob, do i have to worry about that if i'm planning to build my next rig? I use anti static wrist wrap on my first PC build lol.

You could blow a hole in the insulator layer mosfet transistors have, so yeah, it's a thing.

https://youtu.be/qUeK7pHe0rI?t=19m12s

While most of the time you will not damage them, you could reduce their lifespan.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.