We need help in which laptop to purchase

Hiya, I am a university student looking to buy a new laptop with my father sometime soon because my old one broke in half, because THAT ONE GUY ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED IT. Anyhow, to be quite honest, I am quite new to details regarding computers, please do bear with me qq..

My father, with advises from the IT guy in his company (Who he says that the guy has a masters in computer science), firstly, suggested that we should get the ASUS N750JK-T4210H. I was okay with it, and he also told me to compile a list of the programs I need for the course I'm taking. So, I listed 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2015' as one of the programs I needed, as I am taking a course regarding computers and programming, and I want that compiler for coding practice.

The next day, he went and said something along the lines of "The guy told me that we should get a workstation instead, maybe this Fujitsu H730 CELCIUS one, because the program you listed is quite taxing for the previous laptop and requires a lot of power". And I just don't know anymore.

Right now, I just want a good enough laptop to do school work and play games o3o! Advises please?

Besides that

The current laptop I am borrowing from my dad is a Toshiba Portege R930 with the specs: http://imgur.com/tUSZsVo

Even though its RAM and Processors are good(?), why is this laptop extremely slow? It took me a while just to open a blank Microsoft Word Document, etc q-q

Very thank for taking the time to read, much appreciate, pls halp.

Even though its RAM and Processors are good(?), why is this laptop extremely slow? It took me a while just to open a blank Microsoft Word Document, etc q-q

RAM and CPU are indeed very good for a laptop. one of the reasons that it could be running slow is that it's running a lot of stuff on ths background. could you post a screenshot of the taskmanager window that shows how much of the system is in use?

like so:

post-226488-0-24584900-1438962172.png

EDIT: also, what is your budget?

if you want a workstation laptop i recommend the MSI WS60. it looks amazing for a workstation and has good internals!

it might be a bit pricey tough..

Seeing how VS 2015 has relatively modest system requirements and Quadro GPUs are not really optimised for gaming, I'd suggest you get something with an i7, (at least) 8 Gb of RAM and a decent gaming GPU. What's your budget, what games are you planning to run and what country are you buying the laptop in?

And welcome to the forums.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

RAM and CPU are indeed very good for a laptop. one of the reasons that it could be running slow is that it's running a lot of stuff on ths background. could you post a screenshot of the taskmanager window that shows how much of the system is in use?

like so:

attachicon.gifKnipsel.PNG

EDIT: also, what is your budget?

if you want a workstation laptop i recommend the MSI WS60. it looks amazing for a workstation and has good internals!

it might be a bit pricey tough..

http://imgur.com/LGGWWaO

Is that the right thing?

Our budget is around 5k - 6k MYR

Seeing how VS 2015 has relatively modest system requirements and Quadro GPUs are not really optimised for gaming, I'd suggest you get something with an i7, (at least) 8 Gb of RAM and a decent gaming GPU. What's your budget, what games are you planning to run and what country are you buying the laptop in?

And welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome friend!

The games I play aren't really what most people say "hard-core", just some Steam games that my friend bought for me, like Castle Crashers and a building game called Roblox (I know its marketed for children but its fun to build q-q). But for Roblox, need a good enough power to build detailed and large things.

And the price range is around 5k - 6k MYR

Thanks again

Thanks for the welcome friend!

The games I play aren't really what most people say "hard-core", just some Steam games that my friend bought for me, like Castle Crashers and a building game called Roblox (I know its marketed for children but its fun to build q-q). But for Roblox, need a good enough power to build detailed and large things.

And the price range is around 5k - 6k MYR

Thanks again

So, 1200-1300 USD... May I ask to what extent are you planning to use the Visual Studio?

So, 1200-1300 USD... May I ask to what extent are you planning to use the Visual Studio?

Till after I grad in degree, so 4 years+? Right now I am still diploma-ing.

http://imgur.com/LGGWWaO

Is that the right thing?

Our budget is around 5k - 6k MYR

No click the tabs labeled applications

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@kevincatssing

Choosing laptops for someone else is pretty hard, since there are tons of features (screen size and resolution, preferred manufacturer, little additional bells and whistles) that are specific to each person. Basically I'd go for an i7 laptop, with 8+ Gb of RAM, the best GPU you can afford and a 15+ inch Full HD (or better) screen (if you're not planning to move it around a lot) or something a bit more portable with an i5 possibly (but that may sacrifice some gaming performance). After you find something that's good for you, find as many reviews and user ratings as possible, to figure out if the model has flaws that might be crucial for you. 

If you're going for portability, Dell's XPS lineup is pretty good.

@kevincatssing

Choosing laptops for someone else is pretty hard, since there are tons of features (screen size and resolution, preferred manufacturer, little additional bells and whistles) that are specific to each person. Basically I'd go for an i7 laptop, with 8+ Gb of RAM, the best GPU you can afford and a 15+ inch Full HD (or better) screen (if you're not planning to move it around a lot) or something a bit more portable with an i5 possibly (but that may sacrifice some gaming performance). After you find something that's good for you, find as many reviews and user ratings as possible, to figure out if the model has flaws that might be crucial for you. 

If you're going for portability, Dell's XPS lineup is pretty good.

Hmm, alright, thanks for the tip :D

snip

http://www.cyberforgepc.com/S-15/

This is based on the Clevo P650Sx series of laptops. Cyberforge PC (if I'm not wrong), is the Malaysian branch of Aftershock PC (I don't know why they changed the name out of a sudden though). I do find the site a little sketchy, but there's still Illegear.

http://www.illegear.com/products/illegear-s5/

Both these laptops are based on the Clevo P650Sx series, they come with either a 965M (P650SA), 970M (P650SE) or the 980M (P650SG). These are great GPUs for almost anything, they also feature quad-core mobile CPUs, 3 cooling fans for very efficient cooling (have you even heard of 3 fans in a laptop? I doubt so), 2 M.2 SSD slots with one being a PCIe slot for SSDs like the Samsung SM951 where you can bring out the maximum potential of the SSD, 2 SATA slots, 4 RAM slots for a maximum of 32GB of DDR3L RAM, 2.5kg in weight and 25mm (P650SA and P650SE) or 28.8mm (P650SG) thick. I personally have the P650SG from Aftershock PC and I simply love it, I bring it to school everyday and oh boy, that is the most powerful machine in my classroom. The keyboard is awesome with a very satisfying tactile feel to it, and the only thing I don't really like is the brushed metal finish. You should get about 4 hours of battery life when not playing games.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap