New Family PC - my first build

Crunchie

Hi all, thought I'd post my build up, and say thank you to everyone who has offered advice, this forum and also pcpartpicker were invaluable in helping me put this thing together.

The main uses for the PC are for my programming (Java mainly), some moderate gaming (although I'm more a console gamer to be honest) and for the family to use for internet, homework, email etc.

I had a strict budget of £1000 for the pc, a monitor and the OS so I had to be very careful getting the right balance. I wanted quality components but had to be realistic about what would be suitable and within budget.

Overall the build went smoothly, the only problem I had was I put too much thermal compound on the first time and had to clean it all off and do it again.

As far as the components go I'm really happy with the case, it was a joy to build in and really looks great on my desk too. The motherboard seems fine, and the bios is nice and straightforward to use. CPU and ram, well I haven't overclocked it yet (will be soon though) but the PC feels super quick. The SSD seems to make a huge difference, booting to Windows 8 from cold is like 5 or 6 seconds I think. Ridiculously quick. The monitor is lovely, very bright vivid colours, glad I went for an IPS display.

The PSU took a bit of work to fit, mainly due to the length and type of cable. The 24 pin only just reached the motherboard after routing round the back, and that was with the psu rotated fan down. If I wanted it facing up it wouldn't have reached at all.

The CPU cooler was actually pretty straightforward to fit and runs nice and quiet, matches the case fans quite nicely too!

I haven't got any games installed yet so can't really comment on the GPU , but I'll be buying Crysis 3 soon and will update then.

The mouse and keyboard are really nice, especially like the mouse.

Oh, I tried to do some cable management and it went ok, but I was a bit gutted at having to use a red SATA cable for the ODD. I'll probably replace that with a grey or black one if I can at some point.

That's it I think! Thanks for looking,

Cheers Rich

Part List: 

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl)
Power Suuply: Be Quiet! BN181 Pure Power L8 530W Modular Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Dell U2312HM 23.0"
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Keyboard: Cherry Stream XT Keyboard
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Raw
Mouse Mat: SteelSeries Surface QcK £6.50

PCPartPicker link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/rthomas/saved/1j3r

9431477666_5543ff218e_c.jpg

9428708339_16cf69673e_c.jpg

9431476452_0249e07a12_c.jpg

9431477344_5cc67fc652_c.jpg

9428707169_a807f2f54e_c.jpg

9431476996_051b5ed4e6_c.jpg

9428707929_9a8e07d2f8_c.jpg

9428707501_24c33dcdf6_c.jpg

9431476906_e85d57fcf5_c.jpg

9431477282_7eb696d4cb_c.jpg

9431477262_1c70d7c843_c.jpg

9428707667_bdf0ee70a6_c.jpg

Beautiful. High end for family? Kids playing right :P

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

great job, a lot of lefties though?

I'm the only lefty in the house, wife and two kids are right handed. The wife is already winding me up by swapping it over just to check her facebook updates.  <_<

Nice clean station. Very elegant

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I don't really like that keyboard. I bought it, because it was cheap and i needed one quickly.

price/performanc-wise the Dell is great ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

What about some finished views of the whole inside and also what are the parts I can see all of them from the photos!

What about some finished views of the whole inside and also what are the parts I can see all of them from the photos!

Oops! Forgot about the part list, I've added it to the opening post. Will try and take some more pics of the finished interior.

Oops! Forgot about the part list, I've added it to the opening post. Will try and take some more pics of the finished interior.

That would be great!

Looks sweet. You have a lucky family, having such a rig!

Audio Setup---- Marten Django XL speakers: Conrad-Johnson LP125M power amp: Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Renaissance preamp: Clearaudio Ovation & Clarify turntable

Nice, like the case

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I have that exact mouse pad! Nice choice!

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.