What confused you during your PC builds?

spyder

Simple question

We all go through these dumb moments where we are not thinking properly and just rushing to do things. 

During my first build, I stared at the case manual for 15 mins figuring out why I need to use 8 screws to mount the PSU when I only have four included with actual PSU box and none from the case manufacturer.

When I eventually put in my GPU, It was sagging, was staring at the machine wondering how I am supposed to make sure it doesn't fall, then I remembered I had to use a screw to attach to the case. 

Was fighting tooth and nail to seat the PCI wireless card in the second slot, only to finally figure it goes in the last slot. 

Had a panic moment when the power supply came with a 24 pin header only, was thinking WTF, what am I supposed to do, only to realize there was an actual 24 pin cable at the bottom of the box.

Connected my case fans to the motherboard the wrong way, my machine was awfully silent for two weeks, only when I downloaded a fan speed monitor software to realize the fans were not even spinning. 

When I initially tried to mount the hyper 212 evo cooler, I was using the wrong stand offs (those 4 things you mount on each corner for the heatsink to make contact with. (LGA 2011) when I was supposed to be using the 1150 ones. 

Now its your turn. 

Which side to open the Intel box from.

I ended up tearing the whole thing because I was in such a hurry.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I wanted to open mine professionally, however ended up tearing one of the sides off. 

Can't remember my FIRST time. But I watched so many YT videos before getting my current build, so I would avoid any confusion. And it worked!
Though I still don't understand why no one has made a standard single-connector for the front panel lights/buttons. I mean, most cases/motherboards support the same lighting/button configurations, why not make a single connector instead of those flimsy easy-to-misconnect things.

I wanted to open mine professionally, however ended up tearing one of the sides off. 

Lol, thought i'd be the only one.

I ended up cutting through the side with all the serial numbers and info on; lets hope i never need to claim under the warranty....

Thought the 8pin CPU power was just for lolz... Apparently you need it...

Yeah, i did too.

I had an issue with the front panel audio connector, where there were two headers on the motherboard which appeared identical to eachother, the same pin layout to the front audio, but after trying in vain for a few minutes with the wrong connector, I eventually discovered the other header and it slipped on easily. Turns out that the pins were slightly further spaced apart I think on the actual connector.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Thought the 8pin CPU power was just for lolz... Apparently you need it...

I can imagine the panic there when your machine would not post. 

I had that issue. :P

I always ended up forgetting what cables were plugged in. Oops.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

During my first build I hid my usb 3.1 and usb 2 case connections behind my mobo and I went on for 1 year thing they were just dead and oh well. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Can't tell ya I haven't built one yet

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

During my first build I hid my usb 3.1 and usb 2 case connections behind my mobo and I went on for 1 year thing they were just dead and oh well. 

If that was me, I would of RMA the motherboard back ASAP without even thinking properly. 

Well nothing really confused me on my first build, buuuuut i did forget to plug the power connector for my CPU cooler to the mobo. Long story short 90C in about 10 minutes.

~Grif

I was building a system with $1500 worth of hardware I had picked out for a friend, and this was right about the time GPUs started needing external power. So having built a billion systems before, I built my friend's system and the thing wouldn't POST and I got the biggest feeling of terror, like man, my friend just spent $1500 and the thing can't even turn on. After about 5 minutes I noticed the PCIE power connectors on the side of the GPU had nothing plugged in lol. I plugged those in and everything worked great.

I was building a system with $1500 worth of hardware I had picked out for a friend, and this was right about the time GPUs started needing external power. So having built a billion systems before, I built my friend's system and the thing wouldn't POST and I got the biggest feeling of terror, like man, my friend just spent $1500 and the thing can't even turn on. After about 5 minutes I noticed the PCIE power connectors on the side of the GPU had nothing plugged in lol. I plugged those in and everything worked great.

Frightening experience, if you never realised then your friend would start doubting your PC building skills.

It doesn't happen as often as it once did, but every once in a while you need to RTFM and when you read the instructions you find that it has went through three translations by people who didn't know either language they were using so were using an X to Y translation dictionary. When this happens you often wonder what the hell flushing a light fixture has to do with a CPU heatsink mounting bracket.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

The power and reset switch on the MSI boards. The instructions were way not clear.

I built a server where one power connection on the motherboard wasn't supposed to be used and would refuse to post if it was plugged in. I spent hours wondering why my $3,500 server wouldn't post and even RMA'd the PSU (Silverstone 400W). Discovered it by accident when I unplugged and plugged in everything for the third time and forgot to plug that one in. I was so happy that I didn't mind when it took me 3 hours to put windows server on it (the BIOS wouldn't find the CD Rom).

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Connecting the power/reset buttons, and hard drive activity light.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Connecting the power/reset buttons, and hard drive activity light.

Trying to do that with a dell motherboard that isn't labelled is fun, then finding out the reset part on the motherboard doesn't work and once its powered on the power button is a dummy button.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

No, you're supposed to soak the box in luke-warm water until it dissolve and you can remove the cpu from the bowl. 

Uh, the thing that confused me the most during my first build was cable-management. I ended up giving up after 30 minutes and just throwing cables in there w/o regard for placement.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

When I was building my media server I couldn't work out why the internet wasn't working, spent a good 20 minutes looking online, trying to install various things and eventually I worked out that I'd not actually plugged the ethernet in haha

What confuses me during my first build was extra screws and cables. I'm like wtf, did I miss something?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero