I just built a new gaming pc and I cant get it to post.

Go to solution Solved by NinjaPleze,

get the psu. best bet imo.

I built the pc earlier this evening. Once i flip the power switch on the power supply (i sometimes have to wiggle the 24 pin) the fans start spinning and the motherboard led comes on.but the system wont post. Please help!

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.7 Ghz  Cooler: Cooler master seidon 120m GPU: EVGA Gtx 660 SC Ram: Corsair 8Gb  Storage: 128 Smasung 840 ssd and 1 Tb wd blue. Case: Corsair Air 540

Even when you hit the actual power button?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Did you do an out of the case build first to make sure all your stuff is working and nothing id DOA? If not there is tons of things that it could be. If you have to wiggle the 24 pin then I'm guessing some of the pins aren't making contact. Check all of your cables to make sure they are inserted all the way. And what exactly happens? The system is on but nothing comes on to the screen? Does it give you ANY kind of picture/error message?

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Try reseating the 24 pin connector and make sure everything else is correctly plugged in, CPU fan header, CPU power. That sort of thing. Also, extra information about your specs would be greatly appreciated

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Seems kinda weird that he only has to switch on the PSU from the back to get fans spinning. Assuming it's true, that shouldn't happen.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Seems kinda weird that he only has to switch on the PSU from the back to get fans spinning. Assuming it's true, that shouldn't happen.

Maybe the power is shorted, unintentionally... That would cause it to shut down too after a few seconds...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Msi970A-G46 AM3+ ATX

Evga 660 sc

Fractal design core 3000

Kingston hyperx blu

Hitachi 1 tb hdd

Corsair cx600 watt psu

8350 black edition

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.7 Ghz  Cooler: Cooler master seidon 120m GPU: EVGA Gtx 660 SC Ram: Corsair 8Gb  Storage: 128 Smasung 840 ssd and 1 Tb wd blue. Case: Corsair Air 540

Yeah it is really strange. All i have to do is flip the switch on the back of the psu and the fans spin if the 24 pin is in just the right spot

I would reseat the 24pins and make sure that all your power cables are connected properly. Did you try spamming delete to see if you can get into bios?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah it is really strange. All i have to do is flip the switch on the back of the psu and the fans spin if the 24 pin is in just the right spot

The 24 pin shouldn't need to be in the right spot. There should be one spot and it should just work. Are you sure you have your front I/O power connector plugged in properly, over the right pins and that you didn't accidentally put half on the HDD indicator pins or something?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

its just the extra juice from your psu. psu's will store some power and will discharge it if flipped off then on. try turning the psu power ON then SAFELY short the power connection on your motherboard

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Ill try reseating the front io pins and the 24 pun tomorrow and let you know what happens

Ill try  tomorrow

How can you live with yourself? I wish I had this sort of restraint. I'd be up until the next morning if that's what it took.

If it doesn't work tomorrow, you will have to gut it and test it outside. Be sure that you also have the correct CPU power header plugged into the board.

Error: 410

If it doesn't work tomorrow, you will have to gut it and test it outside. Be sure that you also have the correct CPU power header plugged into the board.

Only one will work. If it wasn't the correct plug, there would be much more occurring.

I would have last night but we are leaving

Foe vacation today

I tried everything but when i turn on the psu from yhe back the fans and gpu fans all start spinning but it wont boot. Is this because i have windows already instaled on my harddrive?

I did knotice the fans are pulsating instead of fully spinning up

I had this problem. Hit power fans were spinning no post. Could be anything in the system, but for me it was the PSU. Had power but not enough to boot. Could be your RAM: sometimes static causes a module to mess up, Rubbing an eraser on the gold plated prongs is said to help. Could be mobo but you would problem see something burnt out. Check PSU.

CPU - AMD 6800k; Mobo - ASRock FM2A88M-HD+; RAM G. SKill 8GB(2x4gb); GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580; Case - NZXT H230; Storage - Toshiba 1tb HDD, OCZ Agility 3 120 gb; Silverstone 600w 80+ bronze; Display - Dell 24 in., Generic 20 in.; Cooling - Antec Kuhler H20 620; Keyboard - Genereic Dell; Mouse - Logitech m510; Sound - Syba USB 2.0 DAC

I still cant get the 24 pin in all the way

Have a speaker installed on  the mobo? THat would help identify the problem. It would give off the corrensponding beeps for what is wrong.

CPU - AMD 6800k; Mobo - ASRock FM2A88M-HD+; RAM G. SKill 8GB(2x4gb); GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580; Case - NZXT H230; Storage - Toshiba 1tb HDD, OCZ Agility 3 120 gb; Silverstone 600w 80+ bronze; Display - Dell 24 in., Generic 20 in.; Cooling - Antec Kuhler H20 620; Keyboard - Genereic Dell; Mouse - Logitech m510; Sound - Syba USB 2.0 DAC

And the led for cpu is in 1 phase power is also pulsing

I think it might be the power supply too. It dosent seem to fit correctly in to the motherboard. And no i have no speakers

If you have a problem with your PSU your fans and power led might still come on. Your mobo should have come with a small round thing with a hole in it and a cable. You can plug this into your mobo and it will beep several times which will correspond with an error message. The legend to this error message might be found in your mobo manual. Is this psu new?                                                                .

My motherboard doesnt have one