Is windows 10 REALLY worth the pain for DX12?

kaylexmorgana

@Trik'Stari I summon thee...

OT: Pain? Spying? what.

Just uninstall the crap you're worried about and shove the paranoia back under the bed. Jesus K Reist this is getting annoying.

Most (if not all) the conspiracy theorists refer to apps and features that have been present in previous Windows releases and have come back in Win 10 under new names 

Reminds me of Windows 8 all over "Oh you can just install a third party app to bring back the start menu and desktop by default and then just stick it out with the few features you can't change without the metro interface like user accounts! Stop whining just do all this fucking extra shit for no advantage at all vs staying with 7!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Bloody Cortana......what the hell do you think it is????*rests the tinfoil hat on a table*

How is Cortana spying?

just dont link a live account and turn off all the data stuff and everything is fine

Heyyo,

@Trik'Stari I summon thee...

OT: Pain? Spying? what.

Just uninstall the crap you're worried about and shove the paranoia back under the bed. Jesus K Reist this is getting annoying.

Most (if not all) the conspiracy theorists refer to apps and features that have been present in previous Windows releases and have come back in Win 10 under new names

Haha pretty much this. Get Dem tinfoil hats lol...

But seriously, just tap customize and not "use express settings" if you're worried about info sharing. That's the easiest way to control any info... Don't be a sheep and click the lazy way and you'll be fine.

Also, Mozilla with that whole default browser? What hypocrites.. I remember when Firefox changed my default search engine from Google to Yahoo without my permission just so they could collect search referral bonuses. That's when I uninstalled and went to Google Chrome tbh. That and of course high frame rate videos on YouTube worked on Chrome... Heck, even IE had stable WebM functionality before Firefox lol.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Haha pretty much this. Get Dem tinfoil hats lol...

But seriously, just tap customize and not "use express settings" if you're worried about info sharing. That's the easiest way to control any info... Don't be a sheep and click the lazy way and you'll be fine.

Hey, I clicked on Express Settings! D:

Also, I didn't bother customizing at that point since I knew I was going to tinker with setting anyway. Would've been a waste of time to tinker TWICE D:

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

just dont link a live account and turn off all the data stuff and everything is fine

they cant use ur stuff, people do anyone with how paranoid you all are  yes there holding ur data and seeing your data they cant sell it or use it and if they did sue them and make urself rich for them breaking the privacy and data protection law ! fuck! GOOGLE! right you all have goggle accounts no doubt as how else you watch Linus Google have been assessing and reading of emails for years! and they always will as the legally can but they cant do anything with that data they read except do what there doing and what Microsoft are doing is use that data to point adverts at us and build out own accounts around us and even if they could take our data and sell it why would they? or even use our data to report crime they wont do that either 

here is the best tip all you paranoid people will ever hear!:

Unplug your internet, throw away your mobiles and sell your house and live in the woods

maybe the phone company has tapped your landline ! :o

we will access, disclose and preserve personal data = we will look at your data we will share your data with apps and advertisements and we will maintain your data in its original safe and secure state (in common English)

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

they cant use ur stuff, people do anyone with how paranoid you all are  yes there holding ur data and seeing your data they cant sell it or use it and if they did sue them and make urself rich for them breaking the privacy and data protection law ! fuck! GOOGLE! right you all have goggle accounts no doubt as how else you watch Linus Google have been assessing and reading of emails for years! and they always will as the legally can but they cant do anything with that data they read except do what there doing and what Microsoft are doing is use that data to point adverts at us and build out own accounts around us and even if they could take our data and sell it why would they? or even use our data to report crime they wont do that either 

here is the best tip all you paranoid people will ever hear!:

Unplug your internet, throw away your mobiles and sell your house and live in the woods

maybe the phone company has tapped your landline ! :o

we will access, disclose and preserve personal data = we will look at your data we will share your data with apps and advertisements and we will maintain your data in its original safe and secure state (in common English)

i know they cant access it, which i why i am using it with a live account and some fo the data share options on, however some people are paranoid crazy.

i know they cant access it, which i why i am using it with a live account and some fo the data share options on, however some people are paranoid crazy.

I no right sorry this wasn't pacifically aimed at you, you were just last person I saw who mentioned it. but that the way the world unfortunately technology scares people especially when you see these crazy films that give people the idea to be paranoid lol

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

I really don't want to down...upgrade to windows 10 because all the app bullshit. And ofc we won't mention the spying. but you know... DX12. I'm hoping someone makes some hack so it works for 7 like was done a while ago making dx10 work for XP

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/422069-windows-10-spying-how-to-opt-out-of-microsofts-intrusive-new-terms-of-use/page-4

Quit whining and use this if you're worried about privacy n stuff

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

All Windows versions post PRISM have had big brother watching you, so that is irrelevant, and there is no "app" issue.  As long as you install W10 correctly, then yes, upgrade to it.

Agree on that, but I think Apple handles multiple desktops workflow better at the moment.

I disagree. I think it's just another way to do it, and it will take time to get used to (just like it did on Macs). But once you know exactly how it works, bam, you'll get it just as well.

how is it an upgrade?

you paid for a copy of windows 8? :o

Well, then it's $15 for a retail copy for a student at my University, why would you NOT buy it?

Oh, and they let you buy as many copies as you want.

I disagree. I think it's just another way to do it, and it will take time to get used to (just like it did on Macs). But once you know exactly how it works, bam, you'll get it just as well.

I know exactly how it works, but the shortcuts are arse and I can't map any of them onto my mouse because Logitech doesn't know that Windows 10 exists.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I know exactly how it works, but the shortcuts are arse and I can't map any of them onto my mouse because Logitech doesn't know that Windows 10 exists.

Well that's not a MS issue at least. Win 10 still is new. Give it at least a few weeks.

have you tried to use win+tab? Gives you a really nice view of things.

Along with these combos:

WINKEY + TAB: Enter Task View and access virtual desktops.

WINKEY + CTRL + LEFT and WINKEY + CTRL + RIGHT: Switch between virtual desktops.

WINKEY + CTRL + D: Create a new virtual [D]esktop.

WINKEY + CTRL + F4: Close the current virtual desktop.

Well that's not a MS issue at least. Win 10 still is new. Give it at least a few weeks.

Yeah, I blame Logitech.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Well, then it's $15 for a retail copy for a student at my University, why would you NOT buy it?

Oh, and they let you buy as many copies as you want.

why would anyone buy windows when they could torrent it? better yet even if it was worth buying I wouldn't

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

why would anyone buy windows when they could torrent it? better yet even if it was worth buying I wouldn't

Torrenting is irrelevant you can download it from MS direct, the problem is activating which is a pain in the ass without a legit copy.  For fifteen bucks I'd say its definitely worth it.  I'd also point out that for most people this would be an argument of morals, an argument you can't win.

And lets not look at your specs and talk about the insignificance of the price of windows relative to your build....

You're making an argument with the fallacy that torrenting Windows is actually allowed by the company, and legal. 

Neither of which is true, so you can't really argue your side.

I really don't want to down...upgrade to windows 10 because all the app bullshit. And ofc we won't mention the spying. but you know... DX12. I'm hoping someone makes some hack so it works for 7 like was done a while ago making dx10 work for XP

You do know you can disable all the spying bullshit right?

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Torrenting is irrelevant you can download it from MS direct, the problem is activating which is a pain in the ass without a legit copy.  For fifteen bucks I'd say its definitely worth it.  I'd also point out that for most people this would be an argument of morals, an argument you can't win.

And lets not look at your specs and talk about the insignificance of the price of windows relative to your build....

yeah I was on a budget with the build. next one will be significantly  better

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

yeah I was on a budget with the build. next one will be significantly  better

Oh yea I could tell....  Real tight budget.  Definitely couldn't spare $15.

It took me 20 minutes to upgrade and disable the stuff I didn't want on. Not really sure what everyone is worried about. If you don't want your data sent off to Microsoft and partners, then turn it off.

I've had zero issues since then and have been running smoothly. I really like it.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Oh yea I could tell....  Real tight budget.  Definitely couldn't spare $15.

JTKiGnZ.png

JTKiGnZ.png

Again argument of morals you cannot win.  I was a pirate, at least I didn't make excuses.

I really liked what I saw and used (and I really hated Win8). The system is fast, it looks nice and is easy to use.

My problem with it is their spying. It was literally the only thing that turned me off of it as an OS I'll use like Ubuntu or Win7. However, if you don't care about them collecting information on you, listening in on your conversations or the like and then selling that data...then yea, worth it I guess. I like their take on virtual desktops, but nothing will ever handle it as good as Ubuntu.

It took me 20 minutes to upgrade and disable the stuff I didn't want on. Not really sure what everyone is worried about. If you don't want your data sent off to Microsoft and partners, then turn it off.

I've had zero issues since then and have been running smoothly. I really like it.

How'd you turn if off without borking your system? I tried it two times on Win10, and each time I turned off their spying it broke the system entirely.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |