2x8 vs 4x4 16gb ram

0 difference in performance. Although, I highly recommend 2x8 so you can add more RAM later if you ever wanted to.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

erformance shouldnt matter, but 2x8 is better so you have room for upgrade later on.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

that's great guys thank you,
im currently running 2x8 in my rig, but i havent felt the need to upgrade as i only game on this machine, no editing or anything like that, and my system runs flawlessly.
so maybe for aesthetic purposes for my new build maybe go with the 4x4 ?

what use is more than 16gb? is there any games or anything i might need more ram for ? (like you said for future  upgrade ability)  

that's great guys thank you,

im currently running 2x8 in my rig, but i havent felt the need to upgrade as i only game on this machine, no editing or anything like that, and my system runs flawlessly.

so maybe for aesthetic purposes for my new build maybe go with the 4x4 ?

what use is more than 16gb? is there any games or anything i might need more ram for ? (like you said for future  upgrade ability)  

It helps for multitasking.

With 16GB, I can be playing a game, whilst talking to friends on Teamspeak, whilst I have a few dozen tabs open in Firefox, and having Visual Studio open.

Of course, that's a ridiculous scenario, but that's what happens with me half the time. If you're like me and just tend not to close crap down, 16GB is quite beneficial.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

amazinggg, thank you guys so much for the fast reply's, learned everything i needed to know thank you . !!

Using 4 dims only has performance benefits when running in quad channel which is only support on X99 motherboards.

But even then the real life performance impact will be unnoticable.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

0 difference in performance. Although, I highly recommend 2x8 so you can add more RAM later if you ever wanted to.

Yeah, 2 dimms at the same specs as the 4 sticks is always better, for the upgrades later on.

The mobo I'm going to be buying is the asus gene vII mAtx.

It supports dual chan, but if the performance is going to be the same as quad, then I'll just buy the 4x4 16gb pack for looks.

Let me know if that would be acceptable .!

Or if I'll have issues,

And yeah I'll be running a game, with twamspeak perma running with maybe a video recording software in the background. And a few tabs of chrome running.

Will 4x4 suffice or 2x8 better,

The mobo I'm going to be buying is the asus gene vII mAtx.

It supports dual chan, but if the performance is going to be the same as quad, then I'll just buy the 4x4 16gb pack for looks.

Let me know if that would be acceptable .!

Or if I'll have issues,

And yeah I'll be running a game, with twamspeak perma running with maybe a video recording software in the background. And a few tabs of chrome running.

Will 4x4 suffice or 2x8 better,

4x4 is for x99 quad channel mobos

2x8 is for z170 dual channel mobos. 

if you run dual channel ram in a quad channel mobo then you'll miss out on memory bandwidth.

if you run quad channel in a dual channel mobo then it'll be the same performance except without the extra slots for future upgrade. 

2 sticks is slightly more easy on the memory controller, but most times larger sticks do not have as tight of timings as the smaller ones.

All things being equal, you will not feel the difference, but 2 sticks is more easy on the system and can sometimes give a better chance of using a command rate of 1.

I would get the 2 x 8GB. I fell into the 4 x 4GB trap when I first built my I5 2500K PC...now I want to upgrade the RAM on my PC to 32 GB but now I have to replace all of the DIMMs. I also don't know where to use these 4 x 4GB sticks without feeling bad now. The performance difference won't be noticeable.

thing is i dont think ill ever need more than 16gb, so from what iv gathered, you guys have said that 16 gb how ever i add it to my system will have equal performance for what im aiming for, and it doesn't matter between 4x4 and 2x8 unless i had a quad chan supported board or if i really wanted to upgrade down the road,

thing is i don't mind having 16 for the rest of time, don't think ill need more unless randomly next year the games i want to play will somehow need it.