Need a gaming CPU

I love my 760k, but I'd recommend you to get the i3.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

there are going to be random variances within the graphs. if you want to get a better idea, look at the rest of the article with other games. Sebastian said himself that in cases like with the 260x, he tested it several extra times to make sure it wasn't just a glitch.

he talks about it in this video.

And you trust him 100%. There is absolutely no way that a 2 cores, 4 threads 3.4Ghz processor can possibly beat a 4 cores, 8 threads 4.4Ghz (turbo) when they are the same architecture and generation. That is utter bs.

And you trust him 100%. There is absolutely no way that a 2 cores, 4 threads 3.4Ghz processor can possibly beat a 4 cores, 8 threads 4.4Ghz (turbo) when they are the same architecture and generation. That is utter bs.

then why can my G3258 beat an i5 in certain games? or why can a 4790k beat a 5960x in some games?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

go with the 860k and get a 120-250 GB SSD. it will make the PC itself feel a lot more snappier.

To increase FPS, get a GTX 960. Yes the 380 is faster, but Nvidias CPU overhead helps the athlon along.

If you get a A88 Motherboard, you can easily OC the 860k to reach i3 levels or higher in multi thread, yet it WILL be slower in single thread, even with a huge OC.

A good AMD setup would be

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($83.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $548.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-03 11:53 EDT-0400

Intel I3 will be quicker in CPU intensive tasks. Do not under any circumstance think otherwise. But in games, the difference between the two isnt that huge, and as such, the 860k, for its price (being nearly half that of the i3), is a good choice.

then why can my G3258 beat an i5 in certain games? or why can a 4790k beat a 5960x in some games?

4.6Ghz VS 3.2-3.9 Ghz. Some games need very strong single cores. Same for the I7 4790k vs 5960x. The I3 is worse than the I7 in EVERY. SINGLE. WAY. It should have lost. End of.

4.6Ghz VS 3.2-3.9 Ghz. Some games need very strong single cores. Same for the I7 4790k vs 5960x. The I3 is worse than the I7 in EVERY. SINGLE. WAY. It should have lost. End of.

just like the 8350 should lose to the 9590, but it can beat it in some games. the i3 and i7 use the EXACT same cores, so if clock speeds are similar, performance should be similar in games that only use 1-4 threads.

also, some games don't like CPUs with more than 4 threads, so that could be part of the issue.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

How can you even compare them? The 860k should not be compared to any i3. It's meant to complete with the G3258. Obviously, the i3 is the faster CPU, but its also more expensive.

I sympathize with AMD, but their platforms are just too old overall. The i3 actually has a logical upgrade path, many AMD options don't. I hope Zen changes that, but until then it's hard to recommend AMD processors.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

That's because you overclocked yours higher... He's right though. You didn't read his comment he qualified it by saying same architecture and generation. If one has 4cores/8threads and is at 4.4 and the other has 2cores/4 threads and is at 3.4 there is absolutely no single place aside from temperature/power consumption where the i3 wins that battle. period.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

That's because you overclocked yours higher... He's right though. You didn't read his comment he qualified it by saying same architecture and generation. If one has 4cores/8threads and is at 4.4 and the other has 2cores/4 threads and is at 3.4 there is absolutely no single place aside from temperature/power consumption where the i3 wins that battle. period.

I understand, but sometimes there are variables out of the tester's control, and in the video I linked, the author of the article talks about the issue. these results aren't here to determine the exact difference in performance. you will never be able to do that because there will always be variables that you can't control, such as the Motherboard, or the windows install. instead, it is to get a general idea about how they perform.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

A *stock* dual core i3 beats an overclocked "quad core" 860K. 

If you're during pure core comparison then that should not happen. But the i3 is definitely the processor to choose. 

Anyway, the 860K is competing with the Pentiums. To be specific the G3258 probably. Since they are both unlocked for overclocking. Lets see what we have here. 

Oh dear. Even the slowest G3258 is faster than the 860K.

Go i3 OP. At least it actually has a future. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

No. 4 vs 2 cores REALLY starts to matter nowadays. 4 cores will beat 2 hyper threaded cores.

Not the only one, go with the AMD.

There is a major counter argument to this actually, even a dual core intel processor is more powerful than a quad core AMD processor. And add in hyperthreading, and you almost don't have a reason to go for AMD unless you are on a serious budget.

A *stock* dual core i3 beats an overclocked "quad core" 860K. 

If you're during pure core comparison then that should not happen. But the i3 is definitely the processor to choose. 

Anyway, the 860K is competing with the Pentiums. To be specific the G3258 probably. Since they are both unlocked for overclocking. Lets see what we have here. 

Oh dear. Even the slowest G3258 is faster than the 860K.

Go i3 OP. At least it actually has a future. 

the slowest G3258 is faster than the Fastest 860k :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

The core i3 is the faster CPU...especially when it comes to gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The core i3 is the faster CPU...especially when it comes to gaming.

thank you.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler