10gb missing on my 850 evo ?

Pool
Go to solution Solved by FunkyFeatures,

I just noticed that my SSD is shown as a 223GB while it's supposed to be a  232GB (250GB) ones. After some research I found out it was due to the hybrid mode or some kind of fast boot feature in windows but even when I disable it, it doesn't seem to change while speccy recognize it properly.

t2PjQXY.jpg

Check the disk partitions - some partitions are hidden, disk management will show them to you. Most likely some kind of hidden recovery partition (I have a Toshiba laptop that does the exact same thing)

And please, remember to follow your own threads. Otherwise you will only see when we quote you.

I just noticed that my SSD is shown as a 223GB while it's supposed to be a  232GB (250GB) ones. After some research I found out it was due to the hybrid mode or some kind of fast boot feature in windows but even when I disable it, it doesn't seem to change while speccy recognize it properly.

t2PjQXY.jpg

t2PjQXY.jpg

Check the disk partitions - some partitions are hidden, disk management will show them to you. Most likely some kind of hidden recovery partition (I have a Toshiba laptop that does the exact same thing)

And please, remember to follow your own threads. Otherwise you will only see when we quote you.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

250 decimal GB are equal to 232 GiB (binary)

It's the way it's supposed to be.

Explaination :

When people refer to the storage size of disks, they usually use multiples of 10. A Gigabyte is a byte * 109 in this case.

It goes like this :

kB- 103

MB - 106

GB - 109

And so on.

However, computers don't use base 10. They use binary. So, for the computer, a gigabyte is actually 230, which is pretty similar to the same value in decimal.

This time, it goes like this :

kiB = 210

Mib = 220

GiB = 230

Now that answers why it's only 232GiB, and not 250.

However, the partition is only 223GiB in size. To see what the rest 9GBs are used for, you'll need to run diskpart and see if you have unused space or a hidden (recovery usually) partition.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

250 decimal GB are equal to 232 GiB (binary)

It's the way it's supposed to be.

Explaination :

When people refer to the storage size of disks, they usually use multiples of 10. A Gigabyte is a byte * 109 in this case.

However, computers don't use base 10. They use binary. So, for the computer, a gigabyte is actually 230, which is pretty similar to the same value in decimal.

You are right, it should be 232 GiB but he only has 223 GiB so there are currently 9 GiB missing, thats what he asked... :) 

You are right, it should be 232 GiB but he only has 223 GiB so there are currently 9 GiB missing, thats what he asked... :)

I haven't finished my post yet D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Take a look in disk management and make sure you don't have a random 9gb partition on the drive, but be careful as you can screw up a lot in disk management.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!