AMD FX 9590

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

An FX-9590 needs a very beefy power delivery system on the motherboard. I'm not sure exactly what is required and where the cut-off is, but I know from this review that the ASRock 990FX Extreme9, with it's 12+2 power phases, can handle it for $190. Something lesser might do the trick, but it would involve guesswork on my part.

I think it's a little pointless to talk about what the client should want—it doesn't really matter what we think of the client's decisions. But for what it's worth, the increased price of a high-end AMD motherboard may make it easier to convince them to just get an i5 system instead.

i know that this cpu is a bit old at this point (and i dont like it) but i have a client that wants this cpu.

i have a m5a99x evo r2.0 motherboard thiat isnt working with it (it runs only when the cpu is underclocked to 4.6).

question 1) Is it a bad borad or does it just die with this cpu?

2) i know that amd says to use  a 1000W psu but im on a really tight budget for this rig so would a 750w psu work? or how low of a wattage can you possibly use?

AMD: why the heck did you make this cpu??? just make a differnt cpu socket for your enthusiast grade cpu's so we dont have to worry about power delivery crap.

GO Intel!! ;)

Tell him it's just an overclocked 8320 for twice as much.

750w (600w would be plenty) would be more than enough for any single gpu build, and that board would be acceptable, but you'd probably need to underclock to 4.6ghz (unless your having instability for some other reason -- the chip's not capable of more).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2) i know that amd says to use  a 1000W psu but im on a really tight budget for this rig so would a 750w psu work? or how low of a wattage can you possibly use?

who told you this???

Also FX aren't really that bad. for everyday uses and casual gaming sure

(casual games as in games that dont need lots of cpu or gpu power)

well let's see....some people can run a oc'd 8350 at 4.8ghz using a 600w psu.....

AMD is probably setting high volts to the 9590 to be "safe"

The reason you need to underclock is because the board literally cannot handle the chip. There are specific boards that support the chip at full speed, and they're usually much more expensive. The Sabertooth, the UD7 and the Formula-Z all support it IIRC. However, spending that much money on a factory overclocked FX 8320 is stupid and you're better off getting a more powerful i7 and a board that won't bust a MOSFET/choke/*insert VRM component here*.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

who told you this???

Also FX aren't really that bad. for everyday uses and casual gaming sure its good for the price

(casual games as in games that dont need lots of cpu or gpu power)

If you think the 9590 is good for the price, you shouldn't be recommending CPUs.

If you think the 9590 is good for the price, you shouldn't be recommending CPUs.

my point is people shoudn't be shitting on fx for casual use

also yea it isnt good for the price. I was looking at the 8350's price :/

The issue is that Intel is still usually the same price while running far more efficiently. If it was actually cheaper it could make sense (the FX series efficacy will vary by region depending on local pricing).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The issue is that Intel is still usually the same price while running far more efficiently. So if it was actually cheaper it could make sense

oh its 250$ lol i5 4460 is bettr.

but my main fucking point is trash the price. just for raw preformance fx isnt shit for casual crap

for casual use this is a beast.

i agree but this is what he wanted so thats what hes getting

The reason you need to underclock is because the board literally cannot handle the chip. There are specific boards that support the chip at full speed, and they're usually much more expensive. The Sabertooth, the UD7 and the Formula-Z all support it IIRC. However, spending that much money on a factory overclocked FX 8320 is stupid and you're better off getting a more powerful i7 and a board that won't bust a MOSFET/choke/*insert VRM component here*.

YES i7 is sooooo much better for this idk why this guy really wants this thing

can u atleaste show him this thread? lol maybe transfer him to intel

Because he's an idiot who's probably misinformed (and who should be properly informed).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

i have tryed sadly hes really paying for nothing here

An FX-9590 needs a very beefy power delivery system on the motherboard. I'm not sure exactly what is required and where the cut-off is, but I know from this review that the ASRock 990FX Extreme9, with it's 12+2 power phases, can handle it for $190. Something lesser might do the trick, but it would involve guesswork on my part.

I think it's a little pointless to talk about what the client should want—it doesn't really matter what we think of the client's decisions. But for what it's worth, the increased price of a high-end AMD motherboard may make it easier to convince them to just get an i5 system instead.

hey thanks for the reply. and your right it is pointless to talk about what they should want.